Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Isuka wrote:Who in his/ her/ it's right mind would ever be a Kingdom Hearts fan, anyway?
I'm-a go out on a limb and suggest "the same people who are shedding bitter fanboy tears over Monster Hunter 3 moving from PS3 to Wii".

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Argh, you all've said everything for me :( Ignoring he who hates fun up there. (But Sonic's running is really strange and off-putting.)
MiraiTails wrote:Great! Sonic's not a hidden character, so that means there'll be a Snake intro for him, doesn't it?
The other night I took a headcount and we're already close to 20 characters. I can see why Sonic and Snake wouldn't be locked to start, but possibly some of the lesser chums (Diddy, maybe Ike) will. As unpredictable as Sakurai's been, I could easily be wrong.

It strike anyone as weird how, whenever Mario whaled on the Goomba, somebody offscreen fired a shotgun?
Last edited by FlashTHD on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aso

Post by aso »

Yami CJMErl wrote:
Isuka wrote:Who in his/ her/ it's right mind would ever be a Kingdom Hearts fan, anyway?
I'm-a go out on a limb and suggest "the same people who are shedding bitter fanboy tears over Monster Hunter 3 moving from PS3 to Wii".
Most (butt-hurt) GameFAQers seem to be replying with "Monster Hunter sucks, anyway" or "What's Monster Hunter?".

I'm a fan of Kingdom Hearts. The story's crap, there isn't enough Square, the Disney worlds aren't interconnected enough, etc, etc. The games had decent music, were fairly fun to play through, and had some replay value. As it stands, I enjoyed KHII far more than FFXII, anyhow.

Back to Sonic: his Final Smash is obviously going to be Super Sonic. Is he simply going to blast through the entire arena and damage everyone, or is he going to be controllable?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I thought it was confirmed that Snake, Sonic and all other third-party characters had to be unlocked?

Not like it would affect his chances for a Snake intro, would it? Hidden characters became a part of Adventure Mode in <i>Melee</i> once unlocked, as I recall; mostly limited to Falco following Fox's fight (instead of two Fox fights, as default), the extra Pokémon showing up at Pokémon Stadium (instead of just Pikachu), and Kirby's various transformations in the 30-Kirbies stage expanding to include Kirbies for all the characters you'd unlocked (instead of the default 14), but it was something.

As far as the Subspace Emissary goes, seeing as the plot branches based on what decisions you make (e.g.: save Peach or save Zelda? Dunno how it affects the plot, but it probably does...), it's entirely possible that certain decisions will be "locked out" if they involve characters you have yet to unlock - adding some major replay value there. Alternatively, you unlock characters by finding them in the Subspace Emissary, bypassing any problems like that altogether. Works for me either way...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I absolutely loved the way the Sonic-Mario conflict was presented in the trailer- probably because it was aimed squarely and directly at the Sonic fans who feel like they've been ignored for the past seven odd years, i.e. <i>us</i>.

The most heartening part was the extent to which they allowed Mario to get the crap beat out of him- it shows how little they care about fanboys. First Sonic does a drive-by (run-by?) on an innocent, goomba-stomping Mario, then we see him giving the old one-two to his biggest rival in time with the music. Then they're shown side by side posing like badasses.

Then there's the fact that for the first time in seven years it's a 100%, hands-down guarantee that an upcoming game Sonic is in will be a blast to play. I really haven't been this excited about Sonic since the months leading up to SA2. All it took was letting someone besides Sonic Team handle him.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

aso wrote:Back to Sonic: his Final Smash is obviously going to be Super Sonic. Is he simply going to blast through the entire arena and damage everyone, or is he going to be controllable?
Hopefully he's controllable, if Giga Bowser and Whatever Yoshi are.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'd figure he may works something like Volt Tackle, in wihch he speeds around damaging everything, but you have limited control over WHERE.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Aw fuck, the damn spring is his ^B afterall.:evil: Why the didn't they use the homing shot? There's already too many up spacials that don't do damage!

Anon

Post by Anon »

I knew that the spring would be his Up + B when he did it in the heat of battle (right before Sonic spun out on DK). Just didn't have enough time to say anything here.

And fucking damn, Sonic's Spin Dash just looks wrong. Looks like it'll destroy most people in singles matches if used correctly.

Does anyone else think that some B moves might be air-only? That kick that Sonic uses appears to be way too strong to be an A move... and combining that with the Mario Tornado only being used in the air in current in-game footage... I dunno, just something to throw out there.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Here's a thought. What do you reckon his alt costumes will be?

Answers on a postcard, etc

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Black(Shadow), Gray/White(Silver), Pink(Amy)

I enjoy how people seem to think that Nintendo will slip Shadow in as an alternate costume for Sonic. Wouldn't that require a completely different MODEL instead of just a colorswap? The closest Ninty's ever come to that were the simple accessories added onto Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Pichu.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The original Sonic the Hedgehog game used only one button. I think its simple yet exhilarating play was its virtue.

And given that this game’s controls are also simple, I think it personifies his distinct characteristics.
Too bad SEGA doesnt get it much, heres hoping they learn from Nintendo.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I enjoy how people seem to think that Nintendo will slip Shadow in as an alternate costume for Sonic. Wouldn't that require a completely different MODEL instead of just a colorswap? The closest Ninty's ever come to that were the simple accessories added onto Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Pichu.
To be fair, they had Varia Samus, "Wario" Mario, and "Daisy" Peach as alternate colors in earlier Smash Bros.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I know alot of idiots who make color swaps of Sonic and call that their fan character will be pleased.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I really doubt this, but their options include his Halloween, Christmas, and Phantasy Star costumes from SA2. The best would be a sample of the different art styles Sonic's had over the years. Then everyone could have their favorite model.

Now here's something to think about. I never tried this in Melee, but in the original Smash Bros there was a skill hierarchy to the character AIs. For instance, in a neutral stage with no items, a computer Kirby lost to any other computer character of the same level almost consistently, and a Captain Falcon beat any other character. How many man hours do you think they've devoted to balancing the Sonic and Mario AIs so that they have the most even chances of success possible?

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but the US release date is now 10th February.

It's not really an issue for me as an exact European release date still hasn't been confirmed anyway but I'm hoping it's soon after the US release and not 6 months later or whatever.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Fuck, that sucks. : ( They'd better include a lot of the old stages and all of the old characters if they're going to take that long.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I rather have it be delayed for extra polish(and extra fanservice) than to be rushed out. Besides, this holiday is already full of awesome games.

As for alternative costumes for Sonic, he should wear a different colored top hat with a bowtie to correspond to each player. Classy!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Right, I forgot that characters like Pikachu got assesories instead of drastic color swaps like DK or Mario.

Sonic with sunglasses would be a nice assesory and so on.

Now that sonic is in the stage, could it be possible for a Sonic level to come out? if so..could this be one of the reasons for the delay? Here's hoping that stage isnt soleana or any of the latest Sonic game worlds.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Dasher wrote:Too bad SEGA doesnt get it much, heres hoping they learn from Nintendo.
Ok now, can we can this shit for a change for the sake of enjoying this to the fullest? I see no reason to sour the mood on this one.
Last edited by FlashTHD on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I really don't think Sonic is why they delayed the game. In fact, I'd say Sonic's announcement is more a consolation prize for the delay's existence in the first place. He was probably in the game all along.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I suspect the delay was partially for marketing reasons. Releasing Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros 3 at the same time may have caused them to compete against eachother for complete saturation. So they pushed Smash Bros back so that Galaxy could get full attention for the holiday season.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Right, so that rumor that someone said that Sonic was already in the game true all along, Thats why GameSpot made that crazy poster.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, not just that, but it allows for <i>Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games</i> to get a brief few months of being the ONLY official game with Mario and Sonic in the same game. That's probably the primary competition going on within Nintendo's own titles.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Are there going to be actual alternate skins or just colour swaps? Because Metal Sonic would be nice.