Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

Sammybeany wrote:the so-called "attitude" is annoying and harkens back to how throughly Sonic has been butchered by Sega of America over the years ("Sonic's the name, speed's my game?" More like "GOTTA SLYDE, CLYDE." nnnnghghg I want to vomit.)
I think I'm the only one in the world that likes those cheesy catchphrases. There's a certain campy charm to them....

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think Sammybeany must have watched a different trailer than I did. Because in the trailer I saw, the Sonic model is incredibly accurate to the character's current appearance, and the fluid, expressive character animation (all of it) is miles ahead of anything Sonic has ever exhibited before in-game in 3D.

There's nothing weird or poorly animated about it!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

A Co-Op adventure with these 2 will be an awesome experience, Cant wait! good thing I have a brother, many Co-Op adventures await!

I remember how dull Adventure mode was in Melee, where one of us had to wait watching, well now it will be like the old games that had this option.
Last edited by Dasher on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WW

Post by WW »

Sammybeany wrote:. . . Genesis does what Nintendon't :'(
Die out?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Sammybeany wrote:I was kind of hoping to come here and find some people being as cynical about this as I have felt. ...
Yeah, well, I kind of thought the Sonic model was a little strange myself. For one thing, isn't it too big?

But enough nitpicking.

How many months has the Web been a blaze with rumors of Sonic in Brawl? Finally getting confirmation is a huge emotional release for everyone who cared so much. Remember, the only reason he's in the game is because fans asked for it.

It brings a smile to my face to see Sonic's popularity reaffirmed in such dramatic fashion, in spite of the mediocre games and Sega's other problems.

It's nice to see everyone on the forum so happy, as well. Sonic fans rarely have reason to be happy these days. We should take every opportunity we can get.

Sammybeany
*sniff*
Now Playing: Parcheesi

Post by Sammybeany »

Esrever wrote:There's nothing weird or poorly animated about it!
ImageImage

You really don't think those look awkward and ugly? His facial expressions and hands, especially.
WW wrote:Die out?
Maybe more like sell out. :|

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Sammybeany wrote:You really don't think those look awkward and ugly? His facial expressions and hands, especially.
His mouth being constantly centered is weird-looking (especially the last shot in the trailer), but I see no problem with his hands. Personally, I like that they've given Sonic a touch of attitude. He's supposed to be a bit cocky and arrogant, which the West has often greatly exaggerated, and Japan has often greatly downplayed (though I agree that "Sonic's my name, speed's my game" is pretty stupid).

I understand the disappointment with this, but considering how much shit Sonic Team has given us, it's somewhat comforting to know that Nintendo seems to be doing their best to get it right, even if they fall short. Keep in mind, this is also the first time Nintendo's worked on Sonic. I think they can be forgiven if they get a few things wrong.

There's a few things that were probably going to be a given, though: Sega probably wanted them to use a model close to his 06 look, and they probably also wanted Jason Griffith or whatever the fuck his name is to voice Sonic. I'm sure Live and Learn was Sega's idea as well.

I say that given how badly this could've turned out, the result is impressive.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

I still don't see how you think it's poorly animated. Everything is so fluid. Only awkward thing I can find is that his mouth is in the center, and even then, it's not THAT awkward.
Sammybeany wrote: Maybe more like sell out. :|
You're saying Nintendo doesn't milk their franchises to an insane degree?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I still think the model looks great! Mind you, the centered mouth jarred me in SA1 and 2, but I've gotten pretty used to it by now.

Things I like:

I'm really glad they're handling the eyes like they used to... physically moving Sonic's browline up and down to give him facial expressions, rather than using eyelids. And his facial animation in general is really varied and expressive. I love that shot of him near the end of the trailer where he does the traditional finger wag and smirk on the black background. Just watching all the parts of his face shift as he "forms" the expression... it's very nice looking for a real time Sonic!

I also like the way his quills move around a bit with his movements. It all looks really nice when it is in motion, although it does make them look kinda bizarre in some still shots, like that breakdancing one above.

Deep down a part of me does wish that they could have used a more classic-styled Sonic, but as far as the post-Adventure style goes this is one of my favourite in-game renditions.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

This is a time to celebrate! not only we are getting a great game, but a great game with Sonic in it! and it wasnt just Mario&Sonic olympics but BRAWL the game weve all been waiting for.

And about Sonic's attitude, all the characters in SMASH BROS always had a bit of more attitude, theyre all crazy and lively!

Heres hoping for Eggman to show up, it will be so kickass if he makes it, atleast a boss char.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Esrever wrote:And his facial animation in general is really varied and expressive. I love that shot of him near the end of the trailer where he does the traditional finger wag and smirk on the black background. Just watching all the parts of his face shift as he "forms" the expression... it's very nice looking for a real time Sonic!
YES! I loved that bit with the finger wag. In a way, it was my favorite part of the whole thing. The way it was animated, and the facial expression he gave, it was great. Plus he hadn't done that in years! It was the classic Sonic attitude we all know and love.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

It is also particuly nice to See Sonic on a major 3D Fighting game again.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Well... I kind of agree with Sammybeany, though I didn't have time to make a long-winded post when all this showed up.

Since Sonic Adventure--no, since Sonic 3 I somewhat disliked the CG Sonic art. Most of it always was off-model, sometimes to make him look cute, sometimes to make him look "like, reeaaally rad", and the last bunch of his in-game models (since Sonic Heroes, to be more precise) really suck. His CG model for movies in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2K6 look better, but there's still something missing and I can't really tell what it is... for the record, my favourite models of Sonic are the Sonic 2 title screen and Kazuyuki Hoshino's Sonic CD art ones, I really dig those. As far as in-game 3D models go, I mostly think like Popcorn; Sonic Adventure 2's one is awesome.

And talking about SA2, maybe the fact that it was the first big Sonic game to show up on a Nintendo console had to do with Live & Learn being his SSBB theme. I always liked Open Your Heart, it thrilled my senses when I first watched Adventure's intro.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

See, now even I think this is cool. Expected, of course - I'd have been disappointed if it didn't happen - but cool nonetheless. Maybe I've finally become too old and distanced to quibble about model inconsistencies, but I think that trailer looks great. This is the great battle between Sonic and Mario that I wanted to see, not that olympics nonsense.

It might even make Diddy Kong's presence forgivable.

Sammybeany
*sniff*

Post by Sammybeany »

The edge animation looks TOO fluid. It looks like he's doing some weird dance move rather than trying to regain his balance to avoid falling over. His motions should more more jerky and sudden or something.

I also hate the way he runs, but that's kind of been a long standing gripe. It just seems even worse in this. He looks like he's so far hunched over and close to the ground. And why does he sound like a freaking helicopter when running? I always thought joggers were the ones that made a ton of noise, and a good runner kind of seems to glide over the ground and barely touch it.

I'm being nitpicky, sure, but that's only really because everyone has been acting like this is unbelievably awesome. I found the announcement and trailer entirely predictable and unimpressive.

In regards to Nintendo whoring out their franchises, I think you were kind of reading into what I was saying too much. The whole "Genesis does what Nintendon't" comment was more or less in reference to how this is a bit blasphemous considering the two comapnies used to be mortal enemies. I am the only one who feels ever so slightly dirty seeing Sonic teaming up with Mario?

Sammybeany
*sniff*

Post by Sammybeany »

Green Gibbon! wrote:This is the great battle between Sonic and Mario that I wanted to see
I don't get that. Why would you want to see this! Crossovers are so dumb, ugh. :|

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Man, no wonder you don't like Smash Bros!

Seriously, though. If seeing Mario and Sonic team up makes you feel 'dirty' then maybe you are taking the characters a bit too seriously! Having Mario and Sonic cross-over in a fighting game is a good idea because it is fun! It treats the age old Nintendo/SEGA 'war' with exactly the level of seriousness that it deserves. (IE: none whatsoever.)

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Sammybeany wrote:In regards to Nintendo whoring out their franchises, I think you were kind of reading into what I was saying too much. The whole "Genesis does what Nintendon't" comment was more or less in reference to how this is a bit blasphemous considering the two comapnies used to be mortal enemies. I am the only one who feels ever so slightly dirty seeing Sonic teaming up with Mario?
No, there was this other crazy guy...

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

And I say the same thing in this thread as I did in that other thread. It isn't 1994 anymore. Sega lost--in more ways than one.

The centered mouth looks odd when Sonic flashes his trademark grin. Still, I prefer his mouth being centered(especially assuming if he talks in-game) than that really queer side-mouth flapping we got in Sonic Heroes. Also, I'm hoping Live and Learn is just a special trailer-only song and not in-game. There are much better songs in the Sonic franchise that should be arranged--perferably ones in the Genesis/MD-era.

And, can't wait for Snake's codec conversation about Sonic.
Sammybeany wrote:I don't get that. Why would you want to see this! Crossovers are so dumb, ugh. :|
So, I take it you are not a fan of Marvel vs. Capcom or Kingdom Hearts?

Sammybeany
*sniff*

Post by Sammybeany »

I don't care much about comic books or fighting games or Disney characters or RPGs. So. . . .

I sure do sound like a cranky old bastard. :cry:

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Who in his/ her/ its right mind would ever be a Kingdom Hearts fan, anyway?
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I laugh at the people who think that Sonic's intoduction video is "disrespectful" compared to Snake's, because "his vid treats Mario with proper reverence, Sonic's just shows him barging through" or some crap.

If anything, that's the way it SHOULD be. Anyone who's lived through the Genesis/SNES era (i.e. practically everyone here) should recognize this (along with that other game, "Something Something Olympics") as the culmination of a long-standing rivalry and the release of several Sonic games on Ninty systems (moreso than the other two console brands, anyway).

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think Sonic looks fantastic. I'm really excited for Brawl now and wish I had put money down on a pre-order (wish me luck getting one now).

It's funny how Kojima was worried about Snake fighting Mario. Now Sonic's intro begins with him blowing away the plumber.

I think Sonic looks more accurate to his recent games than say... I don't know... Mario. I think he actually looks better animated than any of the other characters in his video. He bounces around the levels so easily. It's awesome! I can't wait.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

*head explodes* GEEEZUS!!! I haven't been this excited in a long time! As soon as I find some spare time this week, I am heading over to Gamestop and reserving my copy. (Not that I wasn't going to, but still.) If only this would be a sign of good times in the future for Sonic...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It looks like Sonic is a blitz attacker in the games. With hit and run combos that do little damage but can target multiple characters.