Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

It would seem that you must choose which princess to save from Petey, however the fate of the one you do not save is still unknown. Possibly Petey eats whoever you do not save; furthermore I wonder if your choice will have any bearing on the rest of the story. I may never know however as Peach's voice makes my ears bleed and I am unimpressed with turnip throwing, as far as I am concerned It would be a blessing if Petey ate her.

(changed on the basis that the previous post was somewhat inaccurate, not to say that my opinion does not still stand, but for the sake of smooth sailing it has been neutered)
Last edited by Wooduck51 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Um, Peach can fight in SMB2, SMRPG, SPM & even had her own solo adventure in Super Princess Peach. The extent of what Zelda has done in canon fighting was when Ganon was borrowing her body, so it wasn't even her fighting skill being demostrated. Oh, she did have that 1 CD-I title as well but who ever counts that?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Bear in mind that that version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is not canon, it was a hack/ mod of Yume Koujou: Doki Doki Panic.
And maybe Wooduck's talking about Zelda's Sheik persona?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Not canon? Since when does the Mario franchise even have a canon? SMB2 is just as much a Mario game as any. Why else would they keep reusing Shy Guys, Bob-Ombs, Pokeys and Birdos?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I was referring to Sheik, and Zelda's hand in killing Ganon the last two or three games.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Team Mecha wrote:Oh, she did have that 1 CD-I title as well but who ever counts that?
She had 2.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I suspect the Story Mode will have a Choose Your Own Adventure setup, with a branching storyline featuring a choice between two characters which determines which you'll play as for the next sequence. IE - Save Zelda and the next sequence of the story will let you play as her, followed by another branching choice and so on. Too bad you just can't choose whatever character you damn well wish.

Mep

Post by Mep »

You know what would be cool? Zelda/Peach and all other characters could just join your team for co-op play. This would be awesome, as it would open up possibilities for multiplayer story mode. I guess it would allow first player to be whoever they wanted, but the second(or even third and fourth) would have control of whatever character the first player chooses in the story.
Last edited by Mep on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Rob-Bert wrote:Not canon? Since when does the Mario franchise even have a canon? SMB2 is just as much a Mario game as any. Why else would they keep reusing Shy Guys, Bob-Ombs, Pokeys and Birdos?
Well, actually SMB2 was all a dream. I think the explanation as to why its enemies appear in other games is because, well, they actually exist in Mario's universe, and that's why Mario was dreaming of them in the first place; they just happened not to appear in SMB1.

I'm just glad Petey isn't actually playable...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hopefully the bosses will double as ATs, since their models and such are already rendered anyways.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Sniffnoy wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:Not canon? Since when does the Mario franchise even have a canon? SMB2 is just as much a Mario game as any. Why else would they keep reusing Shy Guys, Bob-Ombs, Pokeys and Birdos?
Well, actually SMB2 was all a dream. I think the explanation as to why its enemies appear in other games is because, well, they actually exist in Mario's universe, and that's why Mario was dreaming of them in the first place; they just happened not to appear in SMB1.

I'm just glad Petey isn't actually playable...
I never believed in the "it was all a dream" bullshit. I always thought that Sub-Con, the area the game took place in, was accessed by dreaming, seeing is how it's supposed to be the land of dreams and whatnot.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think it WAS just a dream, (come on, "world of dreams?" What sounds like bullshit now?!) but it is canonical in the sense that it is a dream that Mario actually had. They basically went back and canon-ified it with Yoshi's Island, where Mario is exposed at an early age to nightmarish Shyguys. Traumatized, the experience is pushed deep into his subconscious and not recalled again except in creepy dreams. It's only later, in various spin-offs like the RPGs and sports games, where Mario has traveled the world enough to find that the various creatures encountered in his dream really do exist. Thank goodness he didn't dream of velociraptors!

Also, maybe Mario played too much Doki Doki Panic before he went to bed that night?

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Isuka wrote:Bear in mind that that version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is not canon, it was a hack/ mod of Yume Koujou: Doki Doki Panic.
And maybe Wooduck's talking about Zelda's Sheik persona?
Not canon despite influencing Peach's vB & jump in SSBM? Or the fact that SMAdv 1 was the same game even in Japan? Or the fact that Shy Guys & Bom-Bombs are such fixtures of the Mario mythos now?Or the fact that the Doki Doki characters have never been seen nor heard since?

& what canon fighting has Shiek done?

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Team Mecha wrote:Not canon despite influencing Peach's vB & jump in SSBM? Or the fact that SMAdv 1 was the same game even in Japan? Or the fact that Shy Guys & Bom-Bombs are such fixtures of the Mario mythos now?Or the fact that the Doki Doki characters have never been seen nor heard since?
Well it's not non-canon, it's just that it's a dream - so it never actually happened, but it incorporates various elements of Mario's world, e.g. Shy Guys and Bob-ombs.

So what about Peach? Can she actually float like that or not? Well, that probably doesn't have a definite answer; the games' "canon" is really pretty loose (do the Mario games have a timeline? I don't think so), and stuff like that changes based on what they need for the game. But regardless, it's safe to say that things you see in Smash are not necessarily canon in any sense. In Melee, Peach can pull turnips from the ground, regardless of where she's standing, while Mario and Luigi can't pull turnips at all. And then you have characters like Falcon and Fox whose moves are just completely made up for the game.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

It was at this very moment that I realized my true goal in life is to create a game series successful enough that it would develop a solid fanbase, wherein it's denizens would dispute the canon of my games. Then one day, I'd show up during a debate and mandate it's canon in the most whimsical ways! I'd be like, "(Location) is the manifestation of the dreams of dead babies", and "(Supporting character) is hardgay for (Supporting character)". And I'd have that authority, because, you know, I made the games. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Lugi has that weird floaty jump in the GBA version of Super Mario World.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Which made the game a bazillion times easier. Well, that and the <i>SMB3</i>-style power-down.

Still preferred playing as him, though. I dunno why, I just always prefer playing as Luigi when the chance arises.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

For the record playing as Luigi in Strikers Charged is probably the best thing ever. Imagine a heavy Latin beat and acoustic guitar in the background as Luigi dives into the stadium from five hundred feet up, landing on his feet before straightening his cap and beginning the match. It's utterly fantastic.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Ritz wrote:It was at this very moment that I realized my true goal in life is to create a game series successful enough that it would develop a solid fanbase, wherein it's denizens would dispute the canon of my games. Then one day, I'd show up during a debate and mandate it's canon in the most whimsical ways! I'd be like, "(Location) is the manifestation of the dreams of dead babies", and "(Supporting character) is hardgay for (Supporting character)". And I'd have that authority, because, you know, I made the games. Wouldn't that be sweet?
You want to be Hideo Kojima?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Who doesn't want to be Hideo Kojima?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Me. There'd be no surprise in playing Metal Gear games. I would always know when in the game Snake would say "Huh? Metal Gear...?", which, quite frankly, is the coolest thing in the series.
Last edited by Opa-Opa on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

New item: Super Spicy Curry. It makes you shit flames on people.

ftwwwww

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

All we need now are the Mint Leaf, Microphone and Lollypop, and the Kirby items are sealed to perfection.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'd expect Kuribo's Shoe to show up in one form or another.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

SNES Andross is an AT and Meta Knight's special moves were reveiled, which is somewhat interesting.