Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

DackAttac wrote:Yep. Simple.

Simple is best.
Then why the fuck do we have to memorize an entirely new set of friend codes, Sakurai?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Can't you just, y'know, write them down?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

That ain't simple enough.
Zeta wrote:Hold me back, I'm going to kill him.
I honestly can't believe you fell for it. I was thinking of replacing the "good news" bit with "you'll be able to control mudkips with the Pokémon Trainer" so anyone could laugh, but then I thought it was just sarcastic enough. :P
Last edited by Isuka on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Write them down and shut the fuck up. Honestly.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I'm an American. It's not my fault I'm lazy.
Last edited by Oompa Star on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

FlashTHD wrote:Write them down and shut the fuck up. Honestly.
Honestly, I'd rather not have to acquire even more numbers from my friends just to set up a simple game of smash. Yes, we've all heard the complaint a thousand times, but its even more ridiculous when the man delivering the news talks about making things as simple as possible in the same breath.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's all worth it so that little Billy won't be molested by a pedophile using Lucas and Captain Falcon as proxies for his perversions.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I'm sure that's the true purpose for all this nonsense. Is there an age requirement for playing Wii games online?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

You guys should shut the fuck up and be happy that you can play online.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Actually, I don't play online, so I don't give a fuck. But I do think making things complicated for users because somebody's afraid a pedophile's arm will pop out of a Wii to snatch away children is a load of crap.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

...if you can't say that you'd afford to take the time and effort to take a 12-digit number or two down and enter it into a friends list (likely once only), then sir, you have a goddamn chronic condition or something that needs attention soon.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, here's the thing: other formats only require you to find the user on that system, ask them to be your friend and wait for them to agree (see: Xbox Live, Steam). Actually, even more importantly, they only require you to do it ONCE; Xbox Live doesn't require you to enter your friend's username in several times so you can play against them in <i>Halo 3</i> AND <i>UNO</i>, nor does Steam require you to enter your friend's username multiple times before you can explicitly play him in both <i>Counter-Strike</i> and <i>Team Fortress 2</i>. But, if you want to play him in both <i>Mario Strikers Charged</i> and <i>Super Smash Bros. Brawl</i>, well now, that's a completely different story; memorize these two numbers, one for each game, neither related at all to the other. Of course, these are both tied to the console and disc... oh no, your Wii has somehow encountered a serious error and you have to replace it! Well, now you have to get all those codes AGAIN. Oh, and your <i>Smash</i> disc somehow winds up underneath your little brother's foot the very next day. Your saves are safe on the new Wii, fortunately, but you'll have to go buy a new di- <i>son of a bitch</i>, you have to enter those Friend Codes AGAIN.

Now, for ONE game on ONE console with ONE copy of the disc, which WILL likely be the scenario for most of us, no problem. Enter the codes and be done with it. But if you're going to seriously start using your Wii as an online behemoth for every game you buy, you WILL be raped by numbers. That Nintendo keeps on using it and tauts it as "simple", despite significantly less mind-bending examples existing with other markets that only requires you to mark your friends once and be done with it instead of so many God damned times, is just <i>sad</i>. To tell us to shut up is like telling us to be happy that the waiter delivered us the meat off of a McDonald's hamburger for an entree instead of the filet mignon that we had originally ordered to begin with - it's roughly the same kind of thing, but the one we'd wanted was far, far better, and damn right we'll not be happy about it.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

For five or so friends and two games total, yeah, bitching would be extraneous. But don't you want to see the Wii go in the direction of a ton of online-compatible titles? I don't want to have the conversation with someone every time a game comes out. "Hey, you get Mario Kart?" "Yeah. Let's swap friend codes." "Alrighty. How about Mario Tennis?" "Oh, not yet, but I'm planning on getting that. Talk to me again in a few months." Down the list of a twelve-friend roster or more.

The fact that each game's friend code system is identical to the Wii's friend code system is what makes this redundant and stupid. It's like having a door locked with two (or, as the Wii accumulates net titles, approaching possibly twenty or more) identical masterlocks of the same combination.

Every excruciating task can be made up of smaller, simpler "get over it, you big baby" tasks. Doesn't excuse its complications.

Once again, probably fine for Brawl, but if the Wii gets enough decent online-playable titles to make it, you know, relevant; this is gonna get too old, too fast.

Oompa Star

Post by Oompa Star »

Jeez, who would've thought that an Smash Bros dojo update could cause a flame-war at our quiet little forum. And everyone cussing at each other. Isn't there any god-damn decency around here!?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:things
Fine, you all have it out over this. If I happen to wind up with a large bank of friend codes one of these days, i'll be happily writing them down as needed and keeping my mouth shut, while I watch the rest of you grumble on about it. It is not that much effort for what you get in return, believe me*.

* As if amirite?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

This would be much better if there was an option to store Friend Codes in some type of list in the Wii's internal memory and exportable to a SD card or something, that every game could have acces to, then picking the ones you want and saving/ exporting them to each game's system file... but you'd still need to ask your friends for their FC's.
Well, nothing is perfect. >:|

aso

Post by aso »

Well, the update today is nothing monumental, but it does confirm that most, if not all, of the Pokéball-spawned Pokémon from Melee will be returning (and, as before, Celebi and Mew will have a ridiculously low chance of appearing).

Also, I'll agree with Nintendo's FC system being needlessly complex, but I'm willing to toss them a bone, given that it's their first honest to god attempt at an international online setup.
Last edited by aso on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Online play on the Wii is ridiculously tedious and by definition the total antithesis of "simple." There is absolutely no excuse for every game requiring a separate friend code, as there are plenty of much better methods for providing the exact same service while still keeping the amount of security Nintendo is so worried about.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

^What he said.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

The DS and Wii are kids consoles. Following the fad of brain training games that Nintendo seem to adore, they've appear to have decided to add simple numerical tests into any online game they release.

Ergo, kiddies who can memorise(or write down) a 12 digit number are the only ones allowed to play online.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Now that you say it, it would be interesting if there was some kind of survey or census about what DS and Wii demographic plays games online the most (mainly Mario Kart and Metroid Prime, I know that Pokémon is for kiddies and YU-GI-OH! is for pre-teenz). Just to know what's the average age of the pissed off Nintendo gamer.

Oompa Star

Post by Oompa Star »

It's nice to know that a player will be rewarded with something other than a large point bonus for finding Mew or Celebi. Also, if you don't like Nintendo, stop posting in this thread. The rivalry between Sega and Nintendo ended six years ago.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Who the hell said anything about Sega?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I believe he thinks that my comment over the fact that 70+% of Pokémon players are under 12 is biased by my apparent disliking of Nintendo in general... or something.
Or maybe it's my reaaally poor english; when I said "pissed off Nintendo gamer", I was referring to those people who have to deal with the Friend Codes to play certain DS and Wii titles online, nothing else.
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The thing that's so infuriating about friend codes is that you BOTH have to enter them... both you, and the person you are friending. You have to "exchange" codes.

Why can't it work like an instant messenger? When someone enters my code on their machine, I should be notified and given the opportunity to accept or reject them. Why do I have to go out and get their code and enter it too? (And then wait hours or even days for it all to register?)

It doesn't make things any safer. Little Billy can still go online and swap friend codes with a random pedophile if he wants to. Friend codes aren't preventing this kind of thing, they're just forcing it to take place somewhere other than directly on the Wii itself. It's weak sauce.