Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Re: Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Post by Oompa Star »

Coins are dropped with every in coin battles so it's not really any different. I did notice that Sonic wears gold rings on his wrists for one of his alternate costumes so at least they're in the game in some form.

I must say that New Pork City is a cheap stage just because the camera never zooms in, which has led to alot of cheap deaths for me. The bosses in Subspace Emissary are also very unfair. Clearing boss attack on Intense is beyond the reach of mortal men.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Oompa Star wrote:How do you get Sonic to do that during a battle? I tried all of his taunts and that finger wave isn't one of them.
Can't speak from experience, but I'm pretty sure that's his no-input pose (i.e., don't touch anything for a few seconds).

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

He also does that classic looking-at-you-and-tapping-his-foot animation if leave him standing there, in addition to the finger wave.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

His idle poses are better than his taunts.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Wooduck51 wrote:So, you schmucks get wolf yet?
I planned a trip to New York for Spring Break this year long before Brawl was delayed and then it came out the day before I left. When I got back home my brother unlocked all of the characters and most of the levels. I kinda wish I had done it myself, but I don't have the heart of deleting the save file.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Looking back, the SSE did not live up to my expectations. I really don't feel like playing through it again just for trophies and it frankly felt pretty bland and disappointingly. And it only got worse as it went on. The only good thing about it was the cutscenes because frankly a lot of moves did not work on SSE enemies. You can't suck them up, turn them into eggs, or anything. So it felt really cheap going through SSE when about 1/4th of all moves used in Brawl mode are useless. I would have very much preferred no story mode and five extra characters. I think Sakurai's judgment was overall really off on Brawl. Nobody complained about there being no one-player mode because you can just play against the AI and have fun in Brawl mode. He wanted to make this grand sweeping story but it really just came off as "Kirby and King Dedede save every other videogame character from the Heartless" which was really lame in several parts. And the game itself played like a crappy version of a Kirby game guest-starring 32 other characters.

So overall, I'm going to have to say that SSE sucked . . . there were some shining moments but not enough to justify the amount of work spent on it which could have been put towards content which would actually help with re playability. Like more fanfavorites playable and more old stages returning.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

To be technical, SONIC saved everyones asses in the end.

While it was not the greatest thing ever, SSE was still quite fun. Co-op made it quite fun and the CG was killer. Though I would have traded half of emissary (which pretty much means the maze) for playable Midna and Shadow.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I really enjoyed SSE the whole time. I don't get a lot of the flack it seems to be getting. It was a big ol' expanded adventure mode. The multi didn't suffer for it, and the ability to play adventure mode with a friend was a nice addition, too. Honestly, I didn't even mind the maze. <shrug> Then again, I guess a lot of the criticism is "SSE was okay," which isn't as positive as people are about the rest of the game / series, so it just sounds really negative. At any rate, it was a lot better than the last single player mode I played in a fighter. :)

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I think SSE served its purpose for me, which was to violently jerk off my memory of 2D platformers while dazzling me visually. Honestly, I think some people view Smash Bros. as a fighter, some as a combative platformer. I'm not saying I don't consider it a fighter, but too many of their all-stars had a platforming background to neglect that.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I enjoyed SSE overall apart from the maze bit. It wasn't amazing or anything but as an extra in a fighting game it's a nice addition. If you judge it as a standalone thing separate from the main game I admit it doesn't hold up quite so well.

aso

Post by aso »

SSE was often annoyingly repetitive, but I chose to view it as an easier way to unlock characters... going through Subspace Emporium with another person was infinitely preferable to slogging through 460+ Brawls. I did enough of that in Melee.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Zeta, I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it! All I can salvage is the bit that I was responding to.
The problem being that the director kept on telling us to do just that, emphasizing that the SSE was it's own thing and made the game "like two in one". Hence my dissapointment.
I have to say I was never really under that impression, just looking at the screens it really had a mediocre look for a platformer, and when you couple that with the existing Smash Bros controls, it's just way too specialized into fighting to be anything other than Smash Bros. I mean, the jump button is the same as the climb ladder button! And there are parts where you have to jump OFF of ladders! I guess we wouldn't have known that until the game was out, but the whole thing was suspicious from the beginning.

Personally, I like SSE as an introduction to a lot of characters, because I never really played any of the other Smash Bros games much so I find this more interesting (and fan-servicing) than any of the other single-player practice options available.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'd agree with that. I found that from an introductory "what's all the buzz about" standpoint, the SSE is a much more triumphant prelude to the action than anything Melee had.
G.Silver wrote:I mean, the jump button is the same as the climb ladder button! And there are parts where you have to jump OFF of ladders!
People tell me it's sacrilege, but I turned off the up=jump feature. My grasp on the gameplay improved exponentially.
G.Silver wrote:Zeta, I accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it! All I can salvage is the bit that I was responding to.
IMPEACHMENT!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I need gameshark for bosses on intense. :evil:

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

DackAttac wrote:
G.Silver wrote:I mean, the jump button is the same as the climb ladder button! And there are parts where you have to jump OFF of ladders!
People tell me it's sacrilege, but I turned off the up=jump feature. My grasp on the gameplay improved exponentially.
Oh, that's what he meant by the jump button being the same as the climb ladder button!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Use a hammer.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

People actually use up to jump? It's not Tekken. They've got actual buttons for that shit now.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Strangely, my Wii is acting up and won't read any of my games except Smash Bros Brawl. What's up with that!?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Zeta wrote:
Use a hammer.
I wish, the creator of this game thought it was funny to block the hammer on the hardest mission in the game.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

The fact that they pretty much separated SSE from the rest of the game made me not count it in the single player offerings, which ended up pretty weak outside of that. I don't know how to describe it; I just felt like the game was too reliant on this Kirby-esque sidescroller to carry itself outside of Vs. mode. Of course, the game became about 6000% better when we got a room full of people on Wavebirds doing the Rotation thing (which, by the way, was in Melee). Still, I would have liked a bit more appeal to the original game; not just in retro fanservice (how hard can it be to add Dream Land BGM to the Green Greens stage?), but in the fact that it felt very much like Melee Expansion Pack 2.0 instead of a new game. Sure, it's a pretty damn big expansion pack, with the Final Smashes and whatnot, but the formula's still a bit too... similar. I got bored of Melee, so seeing more of the same without too many significant changes means Brawl will be quick to go when nobody else is around. Still, it's the best experience I've had on the Wii so far; it's just a shame that a lot of areas (Online, Stage Builder) feel half-baked.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Stage Builder is frustrating. As if missing commands like "flip vertically" or "duplicate" wasn't enough, the interface is needlessly time-consuming. For example, upon selecting the piece that I'd like to add, my cursor is immediately placed in the center of the stage map, supremely inconveniencing me if I'm working on a far side of the stage. If the builder simply remembered where I had my cursor before I selected a different piece, this would be easily fixed, but I think the best solution would be to use the Wiimote instead of a joystick/d-pad. There are other problems too, though, like not being able to erase a stage piece while I'm placing a new piece, or a lack of color variation. It's ultimately a fun experience, but could benefit from significant improvements.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Duplicate is Z

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Basically the stage builder looks like a preliminary stage builder that you'd hack up to test the concept. Except that would probably let you set player starting positions.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Zeta wrote:Duplicate is Z
Not if you want to copy a piece on the stage it isn't. Instead you have to re-select the piece and adjust its size and rotation all over again. Which is fine if you know exactly how many of those pieces you're going to use and exactly where you're going to put them; then Z is totally useful.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Take it as you will... Christmas Smash Brothers, perhaps?