Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

Re: Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Wario's voice is more like what you hear in some of the Mario console spin-off games, i.e. Mario Kart Double Dash--somewhat gruffer and deeper compared to his voice in the WarioWare games.

BTW, today's Dojo update is a list of Assist Trophies: specifically Metroid, Tingle, Kat & Ana, Jeff, Helerin, Jill & Drill Dozer, Nintendogs , Lakitu, and Hammer Bro.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The metroid is freaking cool!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I got to play an import copy of the game tonight at anime club and had a blast. It actually plays very, very different from melee. All of the characters are much larger, heavier, harder to KO, and float in the air more.

I got to try out a lot of characters. Olimar is very difficult to play as. I kept on missing Smash attacks because my Pikmin weren't close enough. Throwing Pikmin works well, but it leaves you vulnerable to an enemy attack. Pikmin Chain is a very useful attack though. Oh, and as you would expect - Blue Pikmin are the only ones that can swim or survive water attacks like FLUDD or HydroPump. All other Pikmin die. The strategy with Olimar seems to be to slowly wear your opponent down while dodging.

Sonic is very weird to control. He actually moves around the stage fairly slowly, but all of his attacks send him catapulting all over the stage. He works best when played in large areas, like New Pork City and Hyrule Temple.

Meta-Knight is a beast. He doesn't have good knockback, but he whittles away opponent's damage very quickly. He's also very hard to hit, and nigh-impossible to KO because of all his moves allowing him to return to the stage. He benefits a lot from items to give him the extra omph needed to knock out opponents. He's also very good in a 4-player fight, since he can zip in and out and retreat before anyone can catch him. He was actually overall the fastest character I played with.

Pokemon trainer is another great character. Squirtle is actually one of the best Pokemon in his arsenal, because Withdraw basically turns him into a green shell item and he's hard to interupt. Ivysaur's Razor Leaf is a great projectle attack, and Vine Whip has good knockback but poor range. Charizard is very good at recovering, but makes for a big target. He's one of the best characters so long as you know when to switch out.

Dedede is very strong, but he's very, very, very slow. All of his attacks take a lot of set-up time to be really effective. Unfortunately, I was playing against Sonic on a big stage, so I got killed really quickly.

ROB is a decent character. His laser is very, very strong but cannot be spammed. He recovers really well. He plays very heavy, so he's hard to KO and his booster keeps him on the stage. Like Meta-Knight, he doesn't have a lot of knocking-out moves, but is damn hard to kill.

Lucario is fantastic, and the only character I managed to score a win with. His Counter Move is a beast. Basically, you can't really fight him with melee moves, period, or Counter is going to hand you your ass. His Aura Sphere feels more like Samus' gun than Mewtwo's Shadow Ball. Force Palm has good range and knockback. All of his melee attacks are very quick and fairly powerful. He's floaty in the air, but has a lot of great aerial attacks to defend himself with, and Extremespeed is very good for recovery.

I didn't play as him, but it seems like almost every one of Snake's moves is some sort of bomb or explosive, which makes him tricky to play as. He also seemed very light compared to the other characters.

I didn't play any of the old characters, but it looks like all of them except for Fox have been improved.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I hate counter-attacks. That's the only reason I hate playing against Marth. I'm ecstatic to hear that there's a second character available to kick me in the nuts.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Something very interesting which was noticed recently on Smash Boards was that the "stale moves" penalty for repeating the same attacks has been tweaked. In Melee, the more you spammed an attack in succession, the less damage it did. However, its knockback was the same. So even if Link used nothing but his spin attack all match, the knockback of the move would never decrease (ie. he could still KO people with it at the usual %, even though the attack itself did less damage).

In Brawl, damage and knockback decrease if you spam a move. So in the example above, the more Link spams his spin attack, the harder it becomes him to kill opponents with it, even at high percents. This is what's being blamed for characters living much longer than they did in Melee; People are using a character's good moves to rack up damage early in the match, then when it comes time to KO, the knockback of all their best attacks has become so low they find it hard to kill.

Last I checked, respawning was the only surefire way to reset knockback. But that was yesterday so its probably been figured out by now.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Question, can you return to the levels you beat in story mode SSE and choose any character you want or are the characters always set?

Cause that would suck, not being able to go to a level with a different character.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

King DeDeDe is pretty cool, I enjoy playing as him. His down throw can be chained to another down throw easily, racking up a solid amount of damage. His Waddle Dee toss can also occasionally toss capsules, which can either be the explosive kind of the contains-an-item kind. Now Peach isn't the only person who can have a Beam Sword in an itemless match!

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Someone on Brawl Central seems to have a list of all the filenames for the music files before some of them were cut from actually being in the game. He claims it comes from FFshrine, but the link is a 404 for me.

Full list.
snd_bgm_U01_GREENHILL
snd_bgm_U02_SCRAPBRAIN
snd_bgm_U03_EMERALDHILL
snd_bgm_U04_ANGELISLAND
snd_bgm_U05_UCANDO
snd_bgm_U06_SONICBOOM
snd_bgm_U07_SUPERSONICRACING
snd_bgm_U08_OPENYOURHEART
snd_bgm_U09_LIVEANDLEARN
snd_bgm_U10_SONICHEROES
snd_bgm_U11_RIGHTTHERE
snd_bgm_U12_HISWORLD
snd_bgm_U13_SECRETRINGS
What's that I see? UCANDO? As in, You Can Do Anything? Hmm...

Also of note is that every character would have an individual victory music; it also lists tunes for Roy and Mewtwo... which, of course, we already knew were tentative characters.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

UCANDO...man, that sucks sooo hard! would be cool if its still inside the disk or something.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Unfortunately, no. From what I understand, this is a reference list of every BGM file that was, at one point, in the game, but that 314 rip is all that's still there.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Interesting find nonetheless! this actually shows that.... they tried. :neutral:

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Just thought I'd share.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

That, along with eating while reclining, is too great for words.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Your pic isnt showing anymore Team Mecha.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Rumor: DLC for Brawl

Can anyone read Japanese? Because it would help to see if this rumor is substantiated...

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

This rumor will pwn sooo much if it is true! :chu:

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

You can customize characters, play online, create whole stages and share them... downloadable contents are but a logical step in this game's development, with only the system's main 512 MiB as its limit (assuming they weren't interested in bypassing it with SD cards, which is highly unprobable since they already recommend spending extra bucks in extra controllers).

So, why are you saying that a feature that many games have had even before the Dreamcast days would pwn?
Are you sure about what to pwn really means?

Also, LOL at the GIF. I hope Fox learned what it really means to be a pro.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

K2J

Post by K2J »

From a Nintendo fan's perspective, the ability to update a game with new material is phenomenal. Not saying it's new, but if it's in, then it makes Ninty look more serious about this whole online thing instead of the two cups and a string thing they have now.

I can't wait to do that as Sonic. It looks kinda cool using new characters in old stages; almost as if you hacked Melee.

For those who didn't get to see the GIF, here's the video of the epic failure.

EDIT:
I want Captain Falcon's final smash to be an epic Falcon Punch. One that's accopanied by a thirty minute fully animated feature that has the budget of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy put together times 2.

The animation shows Falcon growing up, learning from his mentor how to be a strong fighter and to fight for what's right. Then, it shows whoever the opponent or opponents are show up and kill all of Falcon's friends and family. From there, things kick back into real time, and it shows tears streaming down Falcon's face as his mask explodes. He begins charging his punch, and in the background, images of his fallen friends and family and cheering him on.

Then, he unleashes it. A Falcon Punch so powerful, that you have to drop your controller because it's shaking so hard. Your sound system explodes, no matter how high end it is. The last thing you see before your TV screen explodes is the enemy turn to dust as they are hit by a flaming falcon the size of the moon.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow, thank goodness Super Sonic can fly! heheh, just to show you need to plan your Smash attacks ahead.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Remind me, how fast is Sonic again?
Gah! I mean, that part at the end where he jumped the gap! It felt like Sonic!

I got a chance to play Brawl for a solid hour over the weekend. Sonic is actually really fun, and his up smash was a blast- it's basically a hyper-concentrated screw attack. I never really figured out how to do that crazy finishing move that's used so prominently in the original reveal video, though- the one where he comes out of a spin dash and loops back around in the air. I guess it's just timing a jump correctly?

Of course it doesn't hurt that Super Sonic really is one of the best final smashes in the game, either.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

:grin: These give me endless amounts of glee. :mrgreen:

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Sakurai wrote:It’s like the Sega Genesis makes a comeback as Nintendo hardware!
... So... it's this how being a war veteran feels like?...
*hangs*

Also, I could swear the game was delayed until March 10th, and now it says 9th. Well, it's an improvement.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I was worried the background was pixelated but even the background is solid! Nintendo has recreated a better GHZ than Sonicteam.

Makes me feel bad that those guys arent AT :PB: but the whole level is awesome and has incredible detail! you can even see rings and that chained platform from GHZ in the background. :PG:

Only thing I cant see are the Badniks or Animal Friends, but we forgive them :) theyve done enough!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

They have gone above and beyond their call of duty. Don't wanna hear about the songs, don't wanna hear about the characters, don't wanna hear about the voice actors. The instant Smash Bros. included Sonic, they were exempt from all non-gameplay complaints up to the point of having pro-Nazi dialogue in the cutscenes.

And even then, it depends on how much.