Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
RocketPunch

Re: Smash Bros 3 Site Goes Live.

Post by RocketPunch »

I doubt Sonic could truly die. He's just such a marketable character. The franchise would probably just be passed on to somebody more capable (aka less prone to sucking).

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Exactly. Even if the franchise was raped to death by Sega's lackluster 3D platformers, to the point of not pulling in money and being a financial burden, Sega's next move would likely to be outsource them, or to "let Sonic die" until some other company realize they could make a killing on an already-established brand name. The fact someone else was taking over would immediately generate interest.

He's not like Rayman, who I fear we'll never see a platformer from again. You put Sonic the Hedgehog on a quality platform game, it will not fly under the radar.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

After seeing how he was done in Brawl, is there any doubt left that Nintendo would make a better Sonic game than Sega now?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

That's why I think the general public's perception of both this and the BioWare game will have tons to do with Sonic's chances with another team, and how soon. Quite frankly, I'd like to see him changed hands ASAP, but that's still massive optimism.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Sonic needs a team that loves him, cares for him and honors his past, Nintendo and Bioware have shown these features.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Zeta wrote:After seeing how he was done in Brawl, is there any doubt left that Nintendo would make a better Sonic game than Sega now?
Excuse me for dissenting, but what does a 4 player party fighting game have in common with a proper Sonic game, other than portraying Sonic in more or less the same kind of character we wanted him to be portrayed in a game in the last 5 or so years? Same goes for first timer BioWare, with the additional of not even having a clue about how the actual gameplay looks and works.
Last edited by Isuka on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

SSBB brought out Sonic's feel from the past such as his Sonic CD dash, a more noticeable index finger wave, and animations just like the classic Sonic such as when he’s on a ledge. Things Sonic Team hadn’t captured well in the past years, I don’t know but Sonic's animation in this game looks better than all I’ve seen Sonic Team do in the past few years. Do you know why? because Nintendo appreciate the past of the character, unlike the recent Sonic Team who makes old characters new and keep updating the storyline and ignoring the past. This is when Bioware comes into the picture, they’ve noticed that Sonic had a rich past full of plot holes and they say that they will try to attach the lose ends.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

... You care about Sonic's dash, finger gestures, having a dumb face when leaning over a cliff and (oh God) plot holes more than you care about mad speed, excellent physics, exploring gigantic levels, cool music and crazy designs?

For serious?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

No! I never said that! I said that SSBB captured those features that would look great on a Sonic game with all the elements that you described. And dont you have a little compassion? didnt you feel good when you saw Sonic act like in the old times? and the Sonic CD dash! I mean comeon! its back! when was the last time he performed it? But those features are nothing If SonicTeam doesnt incorporate them into a good game with mad speed, excellent physics, exploring gigantic levels, cool music and crazy designs like you said.

Bioware seem to care about the past events in Sonic history Something SonicTeam has ignored alot, wouldnt you like Sonic to say in one of his games "Hey Tails, remember when we conquered the Death Egg and saved Angel Island!?" wouldnt that be better than to just ignore it?

Mario games reffer to old events all the time and Mario is doing great...but what about Sonic? Nintendo and hopefully Bioware have shown that it is possible.

The Iron Giant

Post by The Iron Giant »

I just want to point out that Nintendo is not making Brawl. It's Sora Co. Ltd. So instead of saying Nintendo should handle Sonic, say Sakurai and his team should.

Infact, we should just let Sakurai helm all of Nintendo's franchises. (and Sonic)

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Wasn't it Game Arts?

Alright, I already understood Sonic's original, old character is remembered by some Japanese developer, in the same way they remember Metroid's and Zelda's and Mario's and shit. Now, what's the guarantee that they could do anything that amounts to a worthy sequel of those same old games, in whichever 2D or 3D fancy they see fit?
SonicTeam sucked, right. How in heavens can anyone assure that these guys or BioWare are able to develop what ST couldn't, an action-oriented high-speed titanic platformer?
I think Konami or Capcom or even Treasure (if they are granted a big enough budget, that is) could do it, so why Sora or Game Arts or BioWare?

The Iron Giant

Post by The Iron Giant »

Not ALL of Game Arts. Its just a few individuals from Game Arts that are helping with the development.

And while we don't know for sure if Sora could crank out a fantastic Sonic game, what's the harm in letting them try? I believe that if they did, it would be a very enjoyable game in the least.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

What he said. :PG:

On another subject, todays update looks like a pleasant Level...reminds you of an old one though, but looks better.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

SSMB may not showcase any of Sonic's gameplay features, but I think Sakurai and his team have captured the feel of the character better than Sega has lately. Who knows if that would translate into a great game, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Nice, Final destination is back and this version looks interesting, I like the darker mood and scenery. :ER:

The BGM for it is awe-inspiring! I cant wait to play this whole game.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHJHkzSdxs
^ all costumes for all characters; Phazon Suit costume for Samus confirmed.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Ha! take that lame Sonic recolor fan characters, Sonic is always blue in Brawl.

I wouldve given him assesories like sunglasses but oh well...its cool.

Im glad that Wario got that extra costume, he really needed it..just for the evil clone type of battle with Mario that we have always wanted to see.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Hah, R.O.B. has both his Japanese and Western outfits, as well. Pretty snazzy.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yellow rob looks awesome! aswell as the dark one who reminds me of Jonny 5.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Young Link has Link's original coloring for Legend of Zelda and the Adventure of Link as his alternate costume! That's too fucking cool!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yeah I got a laugh of that too, I guess Toon link isnt alone huh? sorta.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Luigi and Wario in Mario colours!

I'm almost surprised they didn't give Mario his Mario Bros arcade or Super Mario Bros NES colours or even the simple red hat and overalls with blue shirt look this time around, but I guess they're all just too similar to his regular colours.

It still puts a smile on my face to see the monochrome Game Boy style Kirby.

Toon Link's NES colours are a real surprise. His Four Swords colours were expected but still appreciated. Dark Toon Link is just creepy.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Nice alternate colors. Though I wish more characters besides Wario had a real costume change but nonetheless no problem indeed.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Not to dredge this back up (it's still on this page!) but I think what SSB is doing with Sonic that is resonating with the fans is just plain and simple fan service, it seems they're aware of what makes/made Sonic so cool in the first place. They have certainly at least converted Sonic himself to 3D in a way that Sega didn't, so it stands to reason they'd do the same thing with a full-blown Sonic game as well. Don't think we'll ever see it, but that just makes it all the more alluring.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

A nice I've notice is that Luigi has his real voice in this game not that higher pitched Mario one he had in melee.

Freaking awesome!

But Wario sounds weird...I dont know.