Your favorite game(s)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Geez, I don't think I can remember far back enough to pick a definitive favourite game. Of course I'd have to mention Sonic 3 & Knuckles and NiGHTS into Dreams, but picking them over most others would be a bit arbitrary.

In the past few years, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus, Shenmue, and Skies of Arcadia have been the most memorable gaming experiences I've had. Of course, I haven't played that many games lately.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I never figured you for a Strider-liker!
Oh, totally. I remember playing the arcade version at this crummy Mexican restaurant my family used to eat at all the time and I hated the food but I'd go just to play Strider (and Street Fighter 2). Then I got the Genny version and played the mortal hell out of it. I loved the sound effects because they all sounded like weird fart noises. Me and my brothers use to get a kick out of making fart jokes at the sound test. (I still would, I'm sure.)

It is one of those games I really can't play now, though. I didn't remember the controls being so stiff and clunky. You can't even change direction in mid-jump, which never seemed to bother me at the time but now strikes me as an intolerable flaw.

Strider 2 was decent (the Capcom one, not the US Gold one), but there was another one I remember playing on mame not too long ago that wasn't made by Capcom but was produced by the same director or something as the original. It wasn't called Strider, it was something totally different, but it felt just like an actual Strider sequel and was way badasser than Capcom's official one (it came out at around the same time, I think). I wish I could remember the title...

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Older and obscure games, eh?

Well, I can think of the platformer game Marvel Land, and I think I'm the only person in the world that's ever beat it, but the levels are short and sweet, even if they can be unforgivingly difficult at times.

Lufia II was an SNES RPG that I dug. The story, I admit, is quite generic, though I dug the characters enough to like the game. I mean, it's not like they're lovable, but I thought that and the Wild Arms/Zelda-ish puzzles gave the game some steam. Actually, when I played Wild Arms, I thought it was a rip-off of Lufia II, because they share many similarities, such as an almost exact replica of the battle system menu. Lufia I, on the other hand, I found quite bad, even though both games take place in the same world. I'd say maybe give Lufia I a shot, and then skip to Lufia II if it turns out Lufia I isn't rubbing you the right way.

If you dig Metroidvania type games, I'd suggest Wonder Boy in Monster World.

Because I just feel like listing this, I remember having fond memories of an NES game called Rockin' Kats, but I played it again and figured out it really wasn't that good.
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Strider 2 was decent (the Capcom one, not the US Gold one), but there was another one I remember playing on mame not too long ago that wasn't made by Capcom but was produced by the same director or something as the original. It wasn't called Strider, it was something totally different, but it felt just like an actual Strider sequel and was way badasser than Capcom's official one (it came out at around the same time, I think). I wish I could remember the title...
That would be Cannon Dancer (aka Osman).

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Right on dude, that's the one. I'll send you a slave later.

By the way, I was serious about Gekisha Boy. It's way swell and nobody seems to know about it. You can get the rom anywhere but the only decent PCE emulator is Magic Engine, which you have to register. Charging for an unofficial console emulator is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of, but there's a crack or two floating around.

And Toilet Kids. The game sucks, but it's the only game I know of that features dive-bombing penises as enemies.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

1. Jet set radio (the original)
2. Rez
3&4. Sonic 3 and knuckles
5. Space channel 5 special edition
6. Lumines 2
7.Crazy Taxi
8. Street fighter 3: third strike
9. Capcom vs. snk 2
10. Skies of Arcadia

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So, I just finished Gekisha Boy. It's not much in the way of gameplay, to be sure, but it more than makes up for that with it's charm and copious racism; I laughed at least 3 times per stage, which justifies several playthroughs.

I never did get the "Photograph a dangerous man in the ghetto" objective in the 2nd stage, though- What exactly am I supposed to be shooting there? I mean, there's the two kung fu brawlers, the transvestite in the trash can, Michael Jackson and the fucking Terminator, and none of them did the trick. What gives?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Eh, who needs cracks when you can use Cheat Engine to freeze the memory location where the timer is stored? I've been playing <i>Rondo of Blood</i> that way.

Which also probably belongs on the list, while we're at it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Forgot this little gem..

A first-person robot boxing game.

I would've liked Nintendo to continue this franchise on other consoles, it really had potential.. ah well.

Highlights of the game:

=the music

=Getting beaten by one of the bosses robotic breasts

=finding out who was piloting the end boss

=Beating up the programmer's faces in the credits.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

World of Warcraft. It consumes me.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Strider 2 was decent (the Capcom one, not the US Gold one), but there was another one I remember playing on mame not too long ago that wasn't made by Capcom but was produced by the same director or something as the original. It wasn't called Strider, it was something totally different, but it felt just like an actual Strider sequel and was way badasser than Capcom's official one (it came out at around the same time, I think). I wish I could remember the title...
That would be Osman. Amazing game if you ask me, and there's Strider all over it. I put it in my list of obscure games back there in page 1 of this thread.

Here's another obscure good game: The Immortal, for the Mega Drive.

EDIT: Duh, it has been answered already. Oh well.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

F-Zero GX is an amazing game, highly under-appriciated.

Also, Star Fox 64 is about the only N64 game that I still find playable.

I don't know how much they hold up today, but I used to love Quack Shot and De-Cap-Attack when I was a kid (both MD games).

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

After the Sonic games, Fighters Megamix may be my favorite.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

My favorite old school games.
Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles
Sonic CD
Nights into Dreams
Christmas Nights
House of the Dead
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Ecco the Dolphin 1 and 2
Streets of Rage 1-3
Genesis Jurassic Park Games
Primal Rage
Spiderman: Seperation Anxiety
Ristar
Astal
Kirby Super Star
N64 Zelda Games
Doom 1 and 2

My favorite Recent Games
Sonic Adventure
House of the Dead 2
Soul Calibur 1 and 2
Shenmue 1 and 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
The Dead or Alive Games
Ninja Gaiden
Halo 1 and 2
Doom 3

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

I'm a pretty big Shining Force fan. But it amazes me just how many people have never heard of it, although I shouldn't be surprised.

Incidentally, I seem to have a habit of enjoying series that Sega likes to run into the ground. There hasn't been a true Shining Force game since SFIII for Saturn. Then Camelot left Sega, and the rest is history.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

One favorite game of mine that noone here has mentioned yet, The Lost Vikings.

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

I'll just cut to the chase and and tell you my top faves:

1. Tekken (right up to the 4th installment. T5 was more like a fan-project gone pro: still good, but was a step backwards)
2. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (you cannot fall in love with those animations, damn-near tops Guilty Gear. Plus you can play as Final Fight's Hugo!)
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Final Fight (excluding Revenge and Streetwise)
5. SSX (up to the 3rd game. On Tour was pretty slamming, but the game reached its peak afterwards)

Now, to put the list of all the games I liked in here would take up a damn good time to do, so you can fill in the rest for yourselves.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ah... Lost Vikings. Good times. :)

Smilie

Post by Smilie »

Sam And Max Hit The Road, Psychonauts, and either of the two Animal Crossing's are both great value for money and entertaining - you can play them hundreds of times and still have little unexplored crannies to dive into.

Although I remember that horrible Barbie: Game Girl game for Game Boy. I'm glad I played it for free - paying for it would feel like your giving money to charities that didn't have a worthy cause.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Before this topic finally goes under, I'd just like to add that Chelnov and Twinkle Tale for the MD were both worthwhile games.

btw G.Silver Pulseman gave me a boner so thx for that

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'd love to add Lemmings 2: The Tribes in this charming list of games.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Majestic Joey wrote:1. Jet set radio (the original)
2. Rez
3&4. Sonic 3 and knuckles
5. Space channel 5 special edition
6. Lumines 2
7.Crazy Taxi
8. Street fighter 3: third strike
9. Capcom vs. snk 2
10. Skies of Arcadia
Also I like shinobi 3 alot.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So after hearing from you lot about Bumpy Trot being the best game ever, I bought it a couple of months ago and immediately put it down having experienced the initially horrid Trotmobile controls. Just recently, however, I started playing again and, having mastered the art of the trot, I've become hooked.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Right now I'm about to compete in the Ultimate Trotmobile Championship and wishing that I'd better equipped my trot beforehand.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

TROTMOBILE IS NOT CANON

It's "Trot Vehicle" in the Japanese version. So.

Still no word on the sequel since its announcement, like, 8 months ago. I hope it hasn't been dropped.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Legend of mana(plsystacion), and pokemon coloseum....coloseum made me fell pokemon was cool again, then the next game had a kid with a scooter....ah memories