Spider-Man 3 friday

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Hmm... looging again, the Venom seems a bit photoshopped. Look at the background, what is that column of white spots? Looks like someone used the history brush to fill something. Anyway, it's a dumb scene.

I've seen the movie again and now I'm sure about what I really didn't like: Mary Jane. She's completely out of place. It's like they have no idea of what to do to her, so she barely talks to Peter during the movie, and never tries to communicate with him. I like the Sandman, I like Harry and Eddie is great, but a little more Venom would've been perfect. I like emo Peter but I could've used a few more scenes with the black costume, catching bad guys and such, doing random Spidey stuff. Bruce Campbell is the best actor to have ever featured in the silver screen.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Stan Lee needs to retire.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Venom should have just eaten Sandman, that would have fixed the movie.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

*awkward wink*

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yes, that was the BEST part...it made me laugh.
Just saw the movie and it was utter chaos, you cannot enjoy so many things at the same time, its exausting.
I WANTED MORE BROCK/VENOM TIME!
Sandman felt...off, it felt like he was only trown in because of the "effects"
This movie felt like a part 4 or 5, it did not felt like a part 3 should...I think the movie was overdone. Yes, it has many cool moments, it just feels...freaky, It was a freaky movie. Oh! and who's idea was it to remove Venom's tounge action? he never showed his tounge.

And do you think Eddie survived the blast? it seemed like a stupid end for brock.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I saw it, I really liked it.

I agree that Sandman was misused near the end, with him trying to kill Spiderman.

It was a really stupid move on the screenwriter's part, because all they would've had to do is simply have Venom threaten to kill his daughter if he didn't help him kill Spiderman.

Eddie Brock was great. He was 100% Ultimate Eddie Brock, which is my favorite version - smarmy, ambitious, amoral, nacrissistic, jackass. I'm pretty annoyed Topher's voice wasn't changed while he was Venom, though. It sounded way too weird to see his voice coming out of the giant monster. I so want him back.

The butler was the most moronic way to resolve that storyline ever. Anything else would've been better. Discovering the glider had a camera on it or something would've been better.

Truth be told, I really liked it. I liked it better than 2. Yes, despite what everyone says, I think 2 is the weakest of all of the movies simply because it was pure EMOPETER for the entire two hours. Spiderman 3's early moments hit upon my favorite aspects of Spiderman, with him actually wisecracking during the Spiderman parade and the first fight with Sandman. I can't stand the way that he comes off as so weepy and angsty all the time. Yes, that's a part of a character, but not the only part. The light-hearted tone of a lot of Spiderman 3 finally helped get a little bit of this across, but 1 is still my favorite. 2's OK, but I see it as the low point.

If they're going to do a Spiderman 4, 5, 6 I have two wishes:
* Ultimate Clone Saga / Lizard plot. Warren was lame villain to be behind the whole thing. It's an easy plot to write, too. Connors gets contracted by the government to make clones of Spiderman for a superhuman army, and agrees so that he can further his own research in regeneration. He accidentally turns himself into the Lizard and his four half-baked clones go nuts. Hijinks ensue as the two Peters both claim to be the real one while the 3 mutated clones and the Lizard wreak havoc. Ben Reily teams up with Peter to save the day and dies a tragic death. Le fin.

* Black Cat - she's a Catwoman ripoff yes, but she has an interesting dynamic. Perferably in a movie where Spiderman goes up against the Kingpin who's hired a lot of metahuman muscle like the Rhino and Electro.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ugh, no please. The last thing Spiderman movies needs is a clone saga.

Well. I thought and rethought about the movie. Here's my pros and cons. This is a whole SPOILER post, so don't even mind reading it if you didn't see the movie.

Pros:

Eddie Brock was just perfect.
Sandman was amazing. Best scene of the movie is when he's rebuilding himself for the first time.
J.J. Jameson is always a delight.
Betty had her charm.
EmoPeter was funny as hell.
The symbionthe looked great.
Harry's demise was actually nice.

Now, these were utter shit:

Mary Jane. They had no idea to what to do with her. She was a hot potato in the movie, being tossed around everywhere.
Gwen Stacy. As much as she's pleasing to the eyes, she's useless. She's only there to make MJ jealous, but they could've used Betty for that, no need to introduce a new character.
Cap. Stacy. Useless too. I thought he was going to die or find out Peter was Spidey or anything like that, but he never did anything, and what the hell were him and Gwen doing in Harry's funeral?
Peter's dialogues with MJ are all shitty. There's no way he would be so blind to her like that, and there's no way she wouldn't have told her about being fired and stuff.
Not enough black suit Spiderman.
Not enough Venom. I'd rather they never put Venom in the movie. Leave it to Spiderman 4.
Not enough Aunt May.
The ending is horrible. Sandman turns into fairy dust instead of being arrested like the criminal scum he is and MJ is still working in that shitty jazz club.

Oh, and Eddie IS dead. I payed a lot of attention and you can see his skeleton in the explosion.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but comic book logic states any character can be brought under all circumstances. 'Specially ones with regeneration powers.
Peter's dialogues with MJ are all shitty. There's no way he would be so blind to her like that, and there's no way she wouldn't have told her about being fired and stuff.
I actually took this as passive-agressive payback for how he was treated in Spiderman 2. Mary Jane's career was starting to take off and all she wanted Peter to do was praise her for it, never even asking how the hell Peter was. Meanwhile, Peter was going through a really shtity time in his life and Mary Jane wasn't really doing anything else than going "Who cares about you? I'm a STAR! and you're scum because you don't care." In that context, I took the whole first third of the movie as Peter sort of subconciously getting her back for that, taking this opportunity to rub his success in HER face while she was down.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I don't think MJ was being mean to Peter in Spidey 2. She had feelings for Peter, but didn't really know what was going on with him. He obviously cared about her, but never said so. (He couldn't be with her, becuase he's Spider-Man and doesn't want her to get in danger, but she didn't know that) then her dream finally came true of being , a star, and Peter never showed up, so it made her very disappointed and stood up.

P.S: I was reading the novelization of Spidey 3 in the store, and apparently, the ending was supposed to be a bit different. (I'm guessing the book uses all of the scenes that were cut.) At the end, Peter has a convo with Gwen at Harry's funeral, and goes on a long narrated speech about Harry, and what will happen in his life now. When he meets MJ in the jazz club, he dances with her, and imagines himself swinging around New York, with MJ in his arms (So Spidey 3 DID had a final swing sequence, but was cut?)

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Zeta wrote:* Black Cat - she's a Catwoman ripoff yes, but she has an interesting dynamic. Perferably in a movie where Spiderman goes up against the Kingpin who's hired a lot of metahuman muscle like the Rhino and Electro.
I think the studio that made Daredevil still has the rights to Kingpin. What a total waste.

As for Eddie Brock dying... yeah, he's dead. It would take a complete deus ex machina to bring him back, and these movies at least try to keep these things fairly plausible. Raimi hates Venom, so he probably did that to keep him from returning. Kind of a douchebag thing to do, but given that it was more or less forced on him, it's still Avi Arad's fault that everything's fucked up.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Avi Arad was kind of right though. Harry and Sandman were both way too sympathetic to work as villains. Sandman is a small-time crook with very powerful super-abilities who just wants to make money and occasionally do superheroing on the side. His character doesn't work as a big main villain. And Harry is a putz. Venom was needed so the story actually had a bad guy.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think the bell tower scene shoulda been the last we saw of Venom during the movie, except for maybe a scene at the end to let you know he'll be there next movie. I'm not really sure how they would have wrapped up Sandman and Harry without Venom, but I'm sure they could have come up with something better than the 40 minutes of tying up loose ends.

Also I thought the final fight was just sorta lame.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Zeta wrote:Avi Arad was kind of right though. Harry and Sandman were both way too sympathetic to work as villains. Sandman is a small-time crook with very powerful super-abilities who just wants to make money and occasionally do superheroing on the side. His character doesn't work as a big main villain. And Harry is a putz. Venom was needed so the story actually had a bad guy.
Even the finished product drops the ball on Sandman, since he pretty much acts like a generic thug for the majority of the movie. Aside from his first few scenes, the thing with his daughter is almost an afterthought. His involvement in the climax made no sense. Was Sandman really that stupid?

Since Sandman vs. Spider-man at the end was the result of a complete misunderstanding fueled by a rather obvious lie from Venom, they could've had Sandman find out that his daughter needs to have her operation/treatment/whatever NOW, prompting him to go all-out on some big bank in desperation, and Mary Jane just happens to be there (there've been less plausible run-ins... hell, in this very movie). Spider-man sees this and goes out. Sandman sees Spider-man trying to stop him and naturally gets rather fierce (not because he believes Spidey's deliberately trying to let his daughter die, but just because he's in the way), and it takes both Harry and Spidey to stop him. Have Harry jump in the way of a lethal blow from Sandman, and realizing that he's murdered again, Sandman stops. Peter and a dying Harry hear his story- Harry forgives him and donates the money for his daughter's operation ("go talk to my magical exposition butler, he'll hook you up"), and with Harry learning to forgive him, Peter does so as well.

Yeah, it's crap, but it'd be better than shoehorning a poorly developed third villain just for the sake of having someone who's actually evil.
Light Speed wrote:I think the bell tower scene shoulda been the last we saw of Venom during the movie, except for maybe a scene at the end to let you know he'll be there next movie. I'm not really sure how they would have wrapped up Sandman and Harry without Venom, but I'm sure they could have come up with something better than the 40 minutes of tying up loose ends.
They should've done it like Harry discovering the Goblin stuff at the end of the second one. It would've worked well if Eddie Brock hadn't been at the church when Spider-man gets rid of the symbiote. Spidey gets rid of it and just leaves it there. After all of the main action and the plots with Harry and Sandman are resolved, then Brock shows up at the church to do his "GOD, KILL PEOPLE FOR ME" prayer. The symbiote's lurking nearby and senses Brock's hate for Peter Parker and we get the bonding scene. After our first glimpse of Venom, we cut to that last corny scene with Peter and MJ.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Harry shouldve bunked his head and remain in the hospital as a good guy. Sandman Shouldve died in the sewer (or been taken out completely, he was unneserary) and the rest of the movie we get more Venom, thats what shouldve happened.

The main theme of this movie was the symbiote and Black Spidy right? well, it felt more like a Harry and Sandman movie to me.

Venom was like Bane in Batman Forever, the hero's true equal rival was turned into a minor menace. Sandman made Venom look like an insignificant ant.

Harry was the true "rival" in this movie, like his father before him who kicked spidy's ass, that shouldve been Venom's place not Goblin's.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Bane is a shitty villain introduced just to "kill" the main character for a cheap thrill to temporarily boost readership via shock, ala Doomsday.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Lizard, I can buy, since Connors has been a secondary character for two movies now, and he's the most requested villain.

Carnage, though... not only would it be hard to properly do Carnage in a family-friendly franchise, but if Raimi hated Venom, why would he want to do Carnage? I'd rather see then re-do Venom than bring in Carnage. Carnage is basically just a more extreme version of Venom anyway.

Unless, of course, they plan to go on without Raimi. Either way, sounds fake.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I really don't want a Spidey 4..

Lizard just would not work in a action/drama film. I mean, the guy's a 5-foot talking iguana. How could anybody buy any drama his character may have? The audience will just be laughing like they did with all the "dramatic" scenes of Spidey 3.

And I agree with your statement on Carnage. He's just a Venom recolor and there's not much reason for him. However, Spidey 3 did forshadow him.

-The meteor had a red glow.
-Capt. Stacy said something about Sandman's cellmate when he was talking to Peter and Aunt May in the station.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Only good thing they could do with Carnage would be the Maximum Carnage storyline, but still that would suck in a family-friendly movie.

Bah. The only way to make Spider 4 is to turn back time and have no Venom in Spiderman 3, so Spiderman 4 could have it's beginning credits with the symbiote taking over Eddie in an incredibly cool way.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Really, they've run out of good villains. Lizard's great, but not that great. Carnage and Hobgoblin would just be crappy sequels to Venom and Green Goblin. Vulture has always been boring, and Kraven has the potential to come across as visually dull in comparison to your sandmen and guys with robot tentacles. Electro could be interesting, but he'd need an overhaul to work as a serious threat (starting with the costume). Someone else has the rights to Kingpin. Scorpion's costume alone would be hard to present seriously. We should all pretend Morlun doesn't exist. Then we've got Rhino, Hydroman, Shocker, all the thug villains. They can't all have sick daughters. Or can they?

(come to think of it, Hydroman being a douchebag and trying to pull the "I need money for my daughter" thing and Spidey telling him someone already tried that would be great. Hydroman still sucks, though)

By process of elimination, I've decided that the next villain should be BIG WHEEL. Fuck yes.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, him and Mysterio. Ignore that he was in <i>Spider-Man 2</i>'s video game, nothing like a little good 'ol retcon.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I bet Sam Raimi could easily turn Mysterio into a decent villain.

Heck, he should just begin Spiderman 4 with Spiderman waking up from Mysterio's illusion and realizing that Spiderman 3 never happened from the middle to the end.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Opa-Opa wrote:I bet Sam Raimi could easily turn Mysterio into a decent villain.
And he should be played by Bruce Campbell.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Black Rook wrote:Really, they've run out of good villains.
Incorrect.
Opa-Opa wrote:I bet Sam Raimi could easily turn Mysterio into a decent villain.
Yes. He's very good at turning great villains into decent villains.