Spider-Man 3 friday

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I found out that the plot of the movie has absolutely nothing in common with the cartoon it's based on. The movie version has Underdog as a regular dog who gets genetically altered, providing him with superpowers and the ability to talk. Later he befriends a 12 year old kid. This is worse than Garfield: The Movie.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I had a feeling it would be like this from the first trailer previews. It would have been sort of cute to see him working his day job as a dog that somehow everyone thinks is not a dog (like maybe he just puts on some glasses. I forget what Underdog's day job is or if he even has one, I'm thinking of Hong Kong Fooey probably) but clearly they aren't taking that route.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

He shines shoes. As Shoeshine boy. In the cartoon everyone else was a dog too, but a full cast of dogs (rendered or otherwise) probably isn't as profitable as a few starring roles filled by B-list Hollywood actors.

At least it's not Bill Murray further degrading his twilight acting years.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

G.Silver wrote:I had a feeling it would be like this from the first trailer previews. It would have been sort of cute to see him working his day job as a dog that somehow everyone thinks is not a dog (like maybe he just puts on some glasses. I forget what Underdog's day job is or if he even has one, I'm thinking of Hong Kong Fooey probably) but clearly they aren't taking that route.
Now that you mention that, a Hong Kong Phooey movie would've been kinda cool, as would a Secret Squirrel movie, or even an Atom Ant movie.

They could've easily made it closer to the cartoon by not making it live-action. At least the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie kept the characters as they were supposed to be.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Except Boris and Natasha.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

...and Fearless Leader, I know. I can't say I'm a fan of the whole "TV is a seperate reality" thing. They pulled the same crap with the Fat Albert movie. If they really wanted to avoid having the cartoons' age get in the way, they didn't have to do it like that.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Oh no, i'm getting memories of the whole turning-into-vegatables thing at the end of the film.

THANKS A LOT.

(That movie was sheer torture.)

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

In the cartoon everyone else was a dog too
But the evil genius who was his rival (or at least was in the opening all the time) was a human, or something like one, anyway.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Kind of like how, back in the day, Eggman was the sole human in a world filled with furries?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Or rather, Eggman was the sole human in a world filled with one furry that had yet to be called one and a bunch of little animals. Way, way back in the day.

Speaking of which that really messes with my head. Why the hell are some animals five feet tall and some like, ten inches? I assume this has come up before on these boards and I just wasn't around?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Maybe Eggman's pollutants stunted their growth?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Maybe it's a surreal Japanese video game?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I just assumed that some species evolved and some didn't, or that they all evolved but their ancestors continued to be prosperous, like wild dogs and cats do with domestic ones. Or that a few select animals were blessed by the 7 fairy queens with the gift of human likeness, that they might save the world from the demon warlord Black Cock, king of moist nightmares, Eggman's true identity, and if their friendship is pure they will one day become real humans! It could be anything, really.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

j-man wrote:Maybe it's a surreal Japanese video game?
No, that can't be it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I call it Pluto syndrome.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

I'll buy that.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Sonic is what I'd have classified as a an "Inkblot". A character who looks humaoid but possesses some inhuman qualities along with one solid body color. Examples of this are Mickey, Felix, Oswald, Bosko, and probably Flip the Frog. The difference here is that Sonic blue rather than black.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Funny, I thought the point of "inkblot" was that a good character should be distinguishable if all you could see of them was their silhouette.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That too. The character has to have a recognizable head shape, most importantly.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Shadow Hog wrote:Funny, I thought the point of "inkblot" was that a good character should be distinguishable if all you could see of them was their silhouette.
Well, considering Sonic Team's logo...