JSR...F?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

Answer that question by asking yourself this one: does any of the main characters even LOOK like their own age? Ume I could believe, but the rest of them look alot older than intended. Hell, you can't tell me Ringo's only 14. You really can't. If you happen to find a 14-year-old girl of any nationality that has the body of a Megumi-class model and isn't chubby in any form, I'll personally put $500* into your hands and bow to your greatness, because achiving that type of body without alterations or implants is absolutly impossible.

OCB: Actually, I wouldn't be surprised that Air Gear does get turned into a game, but I don't see the fan-fair being that strong enough to get that kind of support. Still, it has all the elements there to make one. Hell, just take a look at Melty Blood...and more recently Arcana Heart.

*Do note that Soul is not being serious about the bet, although he knows it's impossible to lose said bet. Just covering my ass, people.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Soul wrote:Hell, you can't tell me Ringo's only 14.
I can't even really tell you who Ringo <i>is</i>, having only seen around half of ONE episode, so no, I can't.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Later.

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Shadow Hog wrote:
I can't even really tell you who Ringo <i>is</i>, having only seen around half of ONE episode, so no, I can't.
He was the exceptionally jolly one. He sang the famous songs.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

What I find terrifying is that they're apparently doing a live action Air Gear musical with an all-male cast. If you have no clue what this is going to be like, then I recommend checking out the Prince of Tennis musicals which are floating around out there. I still can't get over the fact that any society in the world can allow such things to exist, even Japan.

That being said, despite being done by a fairly misogynistic author, Air Gear seems to have a ridiculously large female fanbase for some reason. It has to be the most unintentional spin-off audience ever.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Pepperidge wrote:by a fairly misogynistic author
I decided to to look up this author and I chuckled. Sometimes I wish my name had a cool pun. Or I wish I had a cooler last name, anyway.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Pepperidge wrote:What I find terrifying is that they're apparently doing a live action Air Gear musical with an all-male cast.
Like kabuki or something?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So, I finally caved and bought <i>JSRF</i> for about $7. I love it, although finding your way around can be more than a little confusing at times. (Like that Heights level with the access to the sewers... I KNOW I spent an awful lot of time figuring out just how the hell I was supposed to go UP there. Fortunately, I seem to have almost maxed out everything possible there (to my knowledge), with only "Chimney #1" remaining on my list of objectives. Although I think I still have a Graffiti Soul or two to track down there.

Also, 99th St. has major slowdown. I'm assuming this is because I'm playing it on a 360, and that this slowdown wasn't present in the original. I mean, I have an ordinary Xbox to test it out on, but after going so far, I don't know if I really feel like reliving those four hours AGAIN just to see if ONE level has slowdown or not. >_>

I also picked up <i>Viewtiful Joe</i> at the same time. The fighting system finally "clicked" when I noticed my score shooting up when I remained in slow-motion - something I HADN'T noticed in the demo. This has made fighting much more satisfying... Still damned hard, though.

And why yes, I AM aware this was thread necromancy. Get over it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Shadow Hog wrote: Still damned hard, though.
Just wait until the last stage with the giant dog robots.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Both of Clover's brawler games are hard. I can't count how many times I've died in God Hand.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Skimmed the thread.

I picked up JSRF - borrowed it from a friend when it went up on Backwards Compatibility. The part I'm at, I just took out Poison Jam and now I'm harassing The Immortals.

It plays mostly alright, but it suffers some pretty crippling slowdown in areas. 99th Street so far is the worst; skating around the big dragon at the start makes the game operate in bullet time mode. (this is a problem that plagues many BC games)

Gameplay-wise, it's okay. But it feels way too easy to get lost; in JSR, I pretty much always knew where to go, but in JSRF always feel like I'm lost - I never know where to go next and I end up skating around in circles until I finally figure it out. The game does tell you, but when you play the game once or twice a week, it's hard to remember "Now where was I supposed to go again?"

And even if the game tells you where to go, there's still the matter of "Wait, now how do I even get there? Where was that, exactly, in this level?" It begins to wear thin quickly. The map doesn't help for crap, either, as it's nearly incomprehensible to me. Even worse, because levels are so big - not a whole lot in a level looks unique; it's borderlines on Halo-style "copy and paste this one section of level 40 times rotated at different angles to make the whole stage" sometimes.

I also like the previous game's spraying method. It felt more like a rhythm game, which fit with the game's style. I also prefered JSR's style over JSRF. JSRF feels a lot more generic... like it's not as cool because it takes place in the future. It's not as easy to relate to because it's in "the future". Instead of being a stylish interpretation of modern-day Tokyo, it's just "the future", where everybody wears stupid clothes and there's robots and shit. Feels more like generic anime.

That's mainly my entire opinion in JSRF so far: It's just not as cool. The levels feel too big, too complicated, and the style just isn't as cool as the original game was.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The slowdown is definitely a problem with the Xbox 360. As I recall, the only place that has any serious slowdown in the original is the Garage (once you start having a lot of characters unlocked.)

Actually, I'm really glad you guys told me about this. Now that the 360 finally supports all the games I own I was thinking of trading in my original Xbox for one. I guess I'll take a pass on that idea for now. :P

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Later.

Post by Opa-Opa »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:
He was the exceptionally jolly one. He sang the famous songs.
The one who changed his last name.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Speaking of funny Xbox 360 BC problems, I remember that playing <i>Psychonauts</i> for extended periods of time would cause Raz's outfit to magically turn a bright blue, and remain that way until you quit to the dashboard and reload the game from scratch. That was about the ONLY flaw I was aware of, mind, but it certainly was distracting.