Possible new Samba de Amigo game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. SEGA Monkey

Possible new Samba de Amigo game?

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

I tried posting this in the News section, but it said I need special permission or something.

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=226
Lots of things have been confirmed as of late. More recently, my mentioning of 20GB PS3s no longer being sold. But come this Friday, I’ve got intriguing news on a couple SEGA-related developments… for Wii. Think NiGHTS was the only retro-game by SEGA coming back to life? Think again. Come Friday and find out what could be one of the biggest no-brainers in retuning franchises to Wii.

Let’s just say that DK: Bongo Blast probably won’t be the only Wii game you’ll be shaking beats to this year.
So, what will it be? Samba de Amigo? It could very well be Space Channel 5 too, but we'll have to wait till friday. Anyone know if this site is reliable?

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

The sega poll had Samba de Amigo in the second place if I remember well, and this game is perfect for the wii, the bad thing of the maracas were the cables that sometimes where a nuisance...

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm not sure how this would work without retooling the entire concept, since I'm pretty sure the Wii controller/nunchuck can't discern at what height it's being held.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I think it can actually, it can tell where it's being held in relation to the TV at least.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

Or maybe they could use something like the EyeToy like in SuperStars, but I'm sure the wii-mote and the nunchuk can get the job done. Plus, those have rumble.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I just pray for a good selection of music. While EBA and Guitar Hero carved out their niches craftfully, I kind of feel like SdA kinda lucked into their setlist.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The Wii can only position the remotes in 3D space when the pointer is aimed at the sensor bar.

Since holding the remotes like maracas would make this impossible, the game would be limited to the functions of the internal accelerometer. It could only detect two things: the controller's angle, and the speed at which it was being moved.

I've actually been thinking about how Samba could work with the remotes for awhile. One way is if it determined the positioning by the angle of the remotes. For example, if you were holding the remotes in the high position, they'd be angled at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. If you were holding them in the middle, it would be 6 and 9, and at the bottom it would be 4 and 8.

But that would make it easy to cheat... you could play by simply rotating the remotes and shaking them, without moving your whole arms. Also, it would force you to angle the remotes in a specific way while you were playing... something you were not forced to do with the maracas.

Alternately, they could just pack the game with special attachments for the Wii remotes that function like the beads that hung below the maracas. I wonder if it would need a floor bar like in the Dreamcast version, or if it could just position them with the Wii's sensor bar.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Esrever wrote:But that would make it easy to cheat... you could play by simply rotating the remotes and shaking them, without moving your whole arms.
Given I never used anything but the Dreamcast controller, I hardly consider that cheating. It does seem to offer up a ton of gray area.

The only reason this wouldn't work with the remote is the sensor is parallel to the handle. If it felt natural to hold the remote pointing towards the screen, it wouldn't be a problem.

Don't worry. They'll probably just force some ridiculously priced peripheral upon us like all the other music games.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

DackAttac wrote:Don't worry. They'll probably just force some ridiculously priced peripheral upon us like all the other music games.
... Oh, DA beat me at that one. The curious thing's that, since SEGA itself developed the new Virtua Fighter 5 arcade stick for PS3, most probably they will develop a new pair o' maracas instead of Nintendo. I think.
Last edited by ChaosAngelZero on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I don't think it would be too difficult to sell the game with something that could sense contoller hight and plug it into the remote. It would have another opening on the end of that inwhich the nunchuck could be pluged into.

Of course it seems like it would be a lot easier to make it compatible with only two remotes and have it come with two sensors for just the remote.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Wouldn't it be easier to put the sensor bar on the floor, aimed up? I guess that could work...

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

And point the sensor downward? That could actually work pretty well.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

As long as it doesn't fail by misalignment or anything in the middle of the game, that's fine.

Or maybe they'll end up releasing a special, enhanced sensor bar, along with the maracas? 'Cause there's almost no point at playing Samba without them, they ruled.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

They could just do maracas that get connected to the wiimote, like the “normalâ€￾ controller does.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I don't think it would be too difficult to sell the game with something that could sense contoller hight and plug it into the remote. It would have another opening on the end of that inwhich the nunchuck could be pluged into.

Of course it seems like it would be a lot easier to make it compatible with only two remotes and have it come with two sensors for just the remote.
I'll say it for you J4Y: DUMB!

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Thank you for your insight. You're opinion is valued.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Um, if this was posted April 12, wouldn't have the revelation day of "Friday" in question been April 13?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

DackAttac wrote:Um, if this was posted April 12, wouldn't have the revelation day of "Friday" in question been April 13?
Didn't stop Capcom.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Safe to assume this was pretty much a huge crock of shit?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Not quite...Yojiro Ogawa was interviewed a while back by Gamesâ„¢ and this what he had to say about Samba:
Allowing ourselves to get carried away for a second, we suggest that the Dreamcast's maraca-shaking music game Samba De Amigo would work perfectly with the Wii's motion-sensitive controllers. "I wish more fans would tell us that they want Samba De Amigo on the Wii", responds Ogawa, "then perhaps we could go ahead and make it,
Sooooo it seems if they're going to do it, they (or at least he) might have a pretty good idea how to make it work.

I confess, I should've brought this up a long time ago, but immedeately afterward he said this:
although if I could use any existing IP from Sega's back catalogue I would make Sonic and the Secret Rings 2 or perhaps a remake of the Mega Drive's Sonic the Hedgehog 2." The designer is clearly a big fan of the 'blue blur', suggesting that perhaps he intends to stick with the character for at least a couple more sequels.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Whoa.

I wonder if that would be a complete or just a partial piece of shit?

Damn, it got me curious.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I've been wondering what remakes of the Sonic Mega Drive games would be like ever since the rumors of Sega working on remaking Sonic 3 for Dreamcast. I think that might have been even before Sonic Adventure 2 was announced.

Sonic and the Secret Rings 2 is coming ofcourse. You can judge by the way the first game ended. Not that I'm complaining.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

How did Secret Rings sell, anyhow? I noticed it didn't stay in the top five for very long...

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think the fact that it ever was in the top five means it sold pretty well.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

As one of the few seriously original almost-launch titles for the Wii, I'm damn sure it sold quite well (and for that old "no more Sonic on 360 and/ or PS3, all for the Wii and/ or DS" speech), and if Rivals managed to get a sequel, we're left with almost no reason for thinking SotR won't get one too. Though I'm not sure if it'll be the exact same arabian context, it'll probably be a further fine-tuned revision of the same gameplay mechanics.