So I got a PStwo, finally.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Light Speed
Sexified

So I got a PStwo, finally.

Post by Light Speed »

My roommates recently threw a double keggar at my house while I was at my parents for spring break, being the retards that they are, they let some shady people in and when they woke up the next morning (afternoon more likely) all our shit was gone. This included my 50 inch HDTV, stand and receiver, so essentially the home theater setup I built with the money I made this summer working a shitty job.

More to the point of the topic is my parents homeowners insurance covered everything and for some reason appraised the TV for well over its worth even though I told them exactly what I paid for it and where I got it. After they calculated an amount owed, subtracted the thousand dollar deductible and depreciation the check they cut me was still about four hundred dollars more than what I paid for everything I lost. Guess what I bought with it, those slim ones are quite sexy.

Anyway, this is the obligatory what games should I buy thread, I already got God of War 1 and I am not a big fan of turn based combat so don't bother suggesting a ton of JRPGs. I'm fine with RPGs as long as its real time combat, which is why FF12 is on the list.

Okami
Devil May Cry 3 (1?)
Katamari 2 (1?)
God of War 2
Metal Gear Solid 3(2?)
God Hand
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts 1(2?)

Those are what I got so far with the sequels or prequels in question marks. If it isn't worth playing both of them tell me.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Good to hear your insurance covered that. If I had a setup like that, and it got stolen, heads would roll.

I just got a PStwo myself a few months ago, and only have three games in my library, so I can't reccomend much.

I picked up Rachet and Clank, and it bored me to tears with its generic characters, bland story, and tedious gameplay. I have no freaking idea why people think this series is so good. The graphics are nice, though. And occasionally you'll get a laugh from the story, but not often.

Crash Twinsanity was fun, a true reinvention of the series. Warp rooms are gone, in place of a huge (and I mean HUGE) free-roaming world. You'll get quite a few chuckles out of the story, and at one point, you get to play as a cybernetic goth girl who skips merrily as she destroys everything in her path. If you didn't pick it up for GCN, or XBox, you could always get the PStwo version.

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts yet, but i really want to, and judging by the reviews, it should be an awesome game, so I say, go for that. Don't know much about the sequel. But this is Square we're talking about here, not Sonic Team or Acclaim. (Yes, i'm comparing Sonic Team to Acclaim.)

Metal Gear Solid 2 was a fun game, but the XBox version had superior graphics. However, if you want Solid Snake Skateboarding, you need the Ps2 version. It's a tough choice. Good Graphics on Xbox. Snakeboarding on PStwo. Good Graphics on Xbox.. Snakeboarding on PStwo..

OR, just sell the darn PStwo, a few games, and use your 400 extra bucks and get a Ps3. They play Ps2 games, and it's the most graphically powerful of all systems. (Also, MGS4.)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I really wouldn't bother getting a PS3 until good games actually start to come out for the system. Just to make sure you know - it doesn't pull a Jaguar or something.

Er, anyways -

Rogue Galaxy is pretty awesome. It's like Star Wars by way of FFXII's battle system with the added bonus of having double weapons for each character and some really cool characters to boot. The weapon synthesis system is a lot of fun, too.

The original Jak and Daxter is pretty great if you want a platformer in the vein of Mario. Any of the Ratchet and Clank series are totally awesome if you want a shooter, especially one that plays out like Megaman in 3D done right with a ton of different weaponry and missions. Er, avoid Deadlocked like the plague, though. Graffiti Kingdom is cool just because you get to make your character using a super cool 3D design system that you can play with for hours. I'm sure I'll think of one or two more when I get home, but these are the ones leaping out at me.

Definately get Rogue Galaxy if you end up enjoying FF12 and KH2, though. The battle system is like that, but more fun. The maps get a little boring on some of the larger dungeons, but it's still pretty damn addictive.

EDIT: Oh snap - Bumpy Trot, for sure! Best, most original game for the system!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

*puts on fangirl hat* Get Silent Hill! *takes off hat*

Okay, but really. Get Silent Hill 2. It's not about the combat, it's about the inability to sleep at night after you play it.

Dark Cloud 2. I second Bumpy Trot. If you like Tomb Raider, TR: Legend isn't too terrible. Beyond Good And Evil.

You want to play both Katamaris. You want to very badly. Play the first one first; the second one is easier. Don't get KHII unless you really like the first one. If you can't beat DMC1 then you are not a man. (3 is easier, and 2 is shit.)

And yeah, don't bother with the PS3 until after this holiday season, I'd say. I'd say the same about the Wii, but I have one, sooooo.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Gitaroo Man. My one qualm is that I don't like playing it on the PS2 controller because my thumb keeps slipping on the badly placed analog stick. I've heard this isn't as much a problem with the PSP port, though, so you might want to check that out if you've got a PSP. And while we're on the topic of guitar-themed games, owning Guitar Hero will make you the most popular kid in school.

Resident Evil 4 goes without saying as does PoP and Psychonauts. I personally enjoyed Samurai Western for the bizarre outfits you can equip and the inevitably awesome blend of cowboys and samurai. Also, Rez and Klonoa 2.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I have and Xbox, GameCube and Xbox 360, so chances are I've played any really good multiplatform game already. I played Psychonauts, BG&E, and all the Prince of Persia's on Xbox. I totally forgot about Rez, I've been meaning to try and find it for the Dreamcast, but then I'd have to find a boot disc and all that crap that hasn't been around for years, so I'll definately add that to the list. What type of game is Klonoa 2, all I can remember about it is the logo and main character.

Oh and I will beat DMC1.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Do it!

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

What type of game is Klonoa 2, all I can remember about it is the logo and main character.
It's a side scrolling platformer built around its characters ability to grab enemies and throw them with its main emphasis is on puzzle solving, and its very easy.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Not to be confused with GBA editions of Klonoa, which are like being brutally rammed up the buttocks.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Sounds like your kind of game.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

OOOHHHHHHHH.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

No, I prefer being sensually rammed up the buttocks. There's a subtle difference. I can show you some time if you wish to know it.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Forum God hates fags. Fact!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

He only hates us because he fears the brutal sodomizing we'd give him if we ever got him alone in some remote location in the mountains.

That reminds me, I need to send him his "free" tickets for the all-expenses paid whitewater rafting vacation.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I love all-expenses paid whitewater rafting vacations!

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

I would go with Burnout Dominator, but it's way too similar to Takedown, and most probably you already played it.
Other option is Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, though you'll need some way to play Japanese games 'cause it seems like it won't do it overseas.

aso

Post by aso »

... me, I'd argue for Silent Hill 3 over Silent Hill 2. Or, hey, both!

Other folks have made good suggestions. Here's a few more:

Disaster Report. Laggy and certainly not pretty but a damned impressive take at an earthquake simulator, with some excellent segments that involve you scrambling for your life. Great little title, and it doesn't cost much. Pick it up.

If you're still into scary stuff after Silent Hill, there's always Fatal Frame, which takes the familiar RE style and throws it into haunted villages and mansions replete with ghosts. I've only played the first two, but they were solid and creepy enough to be recommended. (There's also Haunting Ground, but I don't know if I can recommend that.)

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Most of the good suggestions have already been made (Steamboat Chronicles, DMC), and I don't think Disgaea fits well to your taste (being a SRPG), so all that leaves me is to call your attention to Megaman X8 (the only PS2 game in the series that makes justice to the first ones and is not a RPG).
Oh, and Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (excellent ninja simulator).

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Brazillian Cara wrote:so all that leaves me is to call your attention to Megaman X8 (the only PS2 game in the series that makes justice to the first ones and is not a RPG).
I can back that one up. All i've played of it is the demo, but it was great stuff. It didn't sell nearly well enough to get the Greatest Hits label but new copies got marked down to $20 pretty fast.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I've been meaning to get the PC version of it, myself. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

They never released that in the US, did they?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Not in stores, but you can download it at GameSpot for, like, $20.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I was reading up on DMC last night. Apparently the Special Edition of 3 is way easier unless you unlock the harder difficulties that were default in the original. I'm not one to replay a game on a harder difficulty, especially if I have a 8 game backlog, so do you recommend going with the original or the special edition? As of now I'm leaning more toward the original.

ChaosAngelZero
PEDOPHILE
PEDOPHILE

Post by ChaosAngelZero »

The original one's pretty good, more like a Resident Evil crazy action mod, and the third one has a better story as far as I can tell. I really like them both, but I would suggest to start with the first, then for the third.

Also, the Special Edition is as difficult as the original one, but if you completely suck at it and lose three consecutive times, you'll get the chance to play in Easy and enabling automatic control (do stunts without even trying, which I find actually harder to play than having complete control over what you do). This also happens with the first game.

And maybe you should go for the entire collection while you're at it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I dunno, from what I've read the default difficulty of the SE is equivalent to the Japanese release of the original, while the US originals default difficulty is equivalent to the SE's hard mode or something like that.

Also I can't seem to find that entire collection on any game store sites. Do you know if DMC3 on that collection is the original or SE?