Ghost Rider akwardness

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Ghost Rider akwardness

Post by Opa-Opa »

I saw the Ghost Rider yesterday and I guess I've never been more ashamed for being in a movie theatre. That movie sucks big time. I'm still not sure if it's better than Elektra. I wasn't ashamed of me, but of the movie. It was as if my cousing was walking around the street with his pants down, and I was standing right next to him. I guess that was the feeling. Thing is, i thought the movie was a trainwreck. Story, actors, direction, everything working towards the movie being really really bad.

Anyone else felt that way?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Yep. It was really, really cheesy. Doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable, but I'm not inclined to see it again, ever.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

Talk about bottom of the barrel superheroes...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yeah. This guy isn't even in Marvel vs Capcom.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Fantastic Four and Daredevil aren't in Marvel vs Capcom, so that's hardly a qualifier. Funnily enough, Ghost Rider's archenemy Blackheart is in it.

Ghost Rider's got a cool enough design, can't go wrong with a guy who has a flaming skull for a head and rides a motorcycle. Shame that's just about the only thing he has going for him.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

My first (and only, until I see the film) encounter with Ghost Rider was in an X-Men crossover story where they teamed up to fight an infestation of Brood under New Orleans. Ghost Rider killed the Brood Queen by grabbing on her teeth and pulling her skeleton out of her body.

For that moment of sublime ridiculousness, he will always have a special place in my heart.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I went to the theatre to see it a second time (I had more friends to drag along), something I <i>never, ever</i> do. I can think of a couple movies I've found more entertaining, but that is a short, short list.

The only way the movie could have been better (making it truly the best movie ever) is if there were a scene in which he jumps off his motorcycle, flies through the air at some airborn foe (preferably a helicopter), then he whips back his chain, snatches the motorcycle with it, and flings it through the air and destroys his enemy in a massive exposion. The motorcycle lands on the ground, unscathed, upright, and still moving at top speed, while Ghost Rider grinds down the chain and lands comfortably on the seat.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

G.Silver wrote:The only way the movie could have been better (making it truly the best movie ever) is if there were a scene in which he jumps off his motorcycle, flies through the air at some airborn foe (preferably a helicopter), then he whips back his chain, snatches the motorcycle with it, and flings it through the air and destroys his enemy in a massive exposion. The motorcycle lands on the ground, unscathed, upright, and still moving at top speed, while Ghost Rider grinds down the chain and lands comfortably on the seat.
That would probably be the best scene in the entire movie! They should've hired you.

What did you like so much about the movie?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I liked that they did pretty much everything short of that scene. They didn't miss a chance to do something awesome, stupid, or hilarious in every scene. I also like Nicholas Cage, so that's a plus--the idea of him in a super hero movie was a little strange, but then, he does some strange movies--but they made an interesting character out of him, not really very deep, but interesting to watch, I thought. The thing that really got me is the Ghost Rider himself though, I was pretty much cackling with delight every time he did anything. When he gets his chain, when he pops out from behind the truck when we think he's crushed; when he laughs madly as he sets himself on fire, sets other people on fire, judges their souls, escapes from the police, destroys his enemies with stupid speed (that water guy was obviously in trouble from the beginning), something is just really infectious about that. I didn't think watching a person's soul burn until their eyes look like cracky magma would be hilarious, but it turns out that it is.

So, pretty much everything, yeah?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I know what you mean. But I laughed at all that because it wasn't really that good. I mean, what the hell was Eva Mendes with that Magic 8-Ball in the restaurant?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

That was quirky behaviour on her part. When you see Cage with his strange fascination with TV monkeys and drinking jellybeans from a wineglass, you know there's something wrong with him, so it's good to see some eccentricism coming from his lady-friend too. All the cutaway gags back to her were pretty good, and really, if she'd been there looking serious or something, or just plain sad without the comedic element, I would have wondered what the point was--we know she's gonna be pissed at the end of it, but we may as well have something to enjoy in the meantime. Those scenes also remind us that she IS there and that the romantic subplot is actually sort of crucial--building her up as a character and keeping her involved keeps her from being totally uninteresting in her more serious scenes later on.

The thing is, they knew what they were doing every step of the way, everything is deliberate. They clearly intended the movie to be funny, they didn't do it by accident or by being cheap.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Silv, you've made me want to see this movie. I'll let you know if this means I hate you or love you after I've watched it.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So Silver, how would compare Mr. Cage's overall performance in Ghost Rider to say The Wicker Man remake?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

"Nooooooo! Not the beeeeees! Not the beeeeees! They're in my eyes! ARGLEBLARGLEBLARGLE!"

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I do not understand this question.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Women are evil, and exist only to feed on men. That's the message of feminism!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Also, the remake lose points for replacing the sinister (and jolly) "Summer is Icumen In" for the moronic "The drone must die".

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

G.Silver wrote:I do not understand this question.
Is his acting in Ghost Rider as bad, yet unintentually hilarious as The Wicker Man?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yeah. I think that would be an accurate description.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Ngangbius wrote:
G.Silver wrote:I do not understand this question.
Is his acting in Ghost Rider as bad, yet unintentually hilarious as The Wicker Man?
How'd it get burned?

HOW'D IT GET BURNED!?

Ah, Nicholas Coppola.