Only artfags need apply

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Only artfags need apply

Post by Cuckooguy »

So, I think I've reached my threshold when it comes to using a mouse. After years and years of clicking from digital painting and computer browsing, my right hand has started to hurt from all the clicking, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have developed a case of arthritis.

So I was wondering, what kind of tablets do you artsy fartsy people use? I'm considering getting a Wacom Tablet, but I'm unsure of what size to get, so I guess the real question is what size tablet (if you have one) do you people use and are you satisfied with the tablet size you currently have? I'm considering a 6x8 tablet...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I have an Intuous 3 in the 6x8 size. I think the larger ones are a little awkward--too big for my lap, but maybe if you use a table or something it works better. The smaller really does feel restrictive, but the 6x8 is just right for me. My brother has a Graphire and supposedly the Intuos is better, it has all these extra features, but I don't actually make use of/notice any of them, the sensetivity seems the same to me. I have heard that the Intuous is just sturdier though and will last longer, so we'll see which one dies first (they're about the same age, I upgraded from my serial Intuous recently).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I personally am still back in the stone age drawing on paper with pens, but my girlfriend uses a tablet and gets some pretty amazing results out of it. http://www.kitty-bot.com is done on a 9 by 12 tablet, coloured in Photoshop but "inked" in Painter because Photoshop has incredibly crappy support for doing tablet line-art in high resolutions.

If you do decide to get one, I'd say try to get a bigger one than a 6x8. Unless you have to use it on your lap like Silv apparently does! Man, with a tablet that small you will feel just as confined as you would if you were drawing on a piece of paper that size. Well, either that, or you're constantly forced to work while zoomed in really far, which limits your ability to do longer lines in a single stroke.

Of course, maybe I just feel that way because I come from a pen and paper background. Draw big and then shrink, draw big and then shrink... that is the pen and paper mantra!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I use an Intuos 9x12 on my lap and it works for me. (Actually I kind of prop it in a weird way between my lap and the edge of my desk, but I don't think it would be difficult learning to use it any which way.)

I really couldn't imagine using anything smaller than a 9x12, but based on the scratches that have amassed on the surface of my tablet over the years, it seems I do most of my actual drawing in an arc-shaped swath about 8 inches long. The whole right side of my tablet is virtually untouched, but I don't think I'd be comfortable without having all that space to work with anyway. I would splurge and err on the side of caution because it's unlikely you'll end up with a tablet that you think is too big.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I use a 6x8 just as Silv and it goes really nice on my lap. It's a "Genius 8x6", but I kinda doubt you'll find that brand around there, lucky you.

Mine's got a little more than two years and it's showing bad signs already. There's a whole horizontal line where the pen moves too fast, which is weird, but doesn't really bother me that much.

I never tried a 9x12, but 6x8 is working great for me. I don't have that "zooming" problem Esrever was talking about. Maybe when this one dies on me I'll think about getting something bigger.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I've never used a tablet before, but I'm going to also recommend going for a larger size. There's this girl who sits in front of me in one of my classes who takes notes on her laptop with a small tablet. It hurts my wrist just to watch her laboriously maneuver with that thing.

Deckman

Post by Deckman »

I use a 4x5 inch (shut up) Wacom Graphire4 tablet because it's cheap (about $75-$80 if you get a good deal), it works well, and I don't usually make very long strokes in my drawings. It can be a pain in the ass for larger resolutions, though - if you leave it in its default settings, the smallest strokes can take up half your screen. You can zoom out if you want to (which I do), but that would mean confining your drawing space to a smaller portion of the screen. I'm pretty sure it comes in larger sizes, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, if you get any Wacom tablet, don't buy it from their official site. Their prices are silly.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

4x5 Wacom here as well.

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Same as DB

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

The last two posts added so much to this discussion.

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Sorry for joining the bandwagon.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'm glad to know none of you has those fancy Wacoms with the screen showing and stuff. I guess they're called Centiq or something like that.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Actually, I connect electrodes to my brain and manipulate colors and shapes on screen telepathically to create soul melting images in Photoshop.

When that gets boring though I have an 8 x 7 tablet to fall back on. I'd recommend one of this size if you can find it at a reasonable price (I got mine for 70$ from a friend who never used it anymore) as I always found 4 x 5s to be just a tad bit too small to work well with. You can get used to anything though if need be.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Radrappy wrote:Actually, I connect electrodes to my brain and manipulate colors and shapes on screen telepathically to create soul melting images in Photoshop.
I knew you cheated in that contest! No human hands could've done that Doomsday Zone art piece.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So... all of you guys use tablets? I thought at least Silv's lineart was done on paper and then scanned. Am I the only one here who still draws primarily on paper?

I feel like such a caveman.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Even though I had tablet for like, two years or such, I only began to really understand how to get it all from it some months ago. It's a great aquisition Es, believe me. Once you get how to use it, you'll never want to color without it again.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I draw on paper and scan sometimes, but my coloring is always done with a tablet. I try to scan more because I spend less time tweaking, if I use real ink things tend to get done a lot faster. There's also (in some cases anyway) a lengthy pencil -> scan -> print -> trace/alter phase, where I tweak my sketches until I get them how I want them. Sometimes it takes a couple passes.
Last edited by G.Silver on Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Certain exercises call for a tablet, while others call for pencil on paper. If it's more atmosphere and color based, I tend to use my tablet as It's faster and more efficient for nailing out such concepts. If it were something that’s maybe style or precision based, I'd rather do it with a pencil. I still ink using traditional means. I hate doing line work on a tablet.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I doodle a lot on paper, but so lazy that most of my finished pieces are entirely made on Photoshop.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The only real drawback I've found to using a tablet is the smoothness of the surface. You don't have the grip that you get with pencil and paper. I know some people don't like them for that reason, but if you can learn to swing with it, it eliminates the whole cumbersome scanning process. To say nothing of what you save in supplies.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Green Gibbon! wrote:To say nothing of what you save in supplies.
And it makes so much less mess than ink and paint.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Thanks for all the input, I've already ordered a 6x8 Intuos3.

Anyway, I've always sketched on paper, and I've even taken all the one-sided paper I've accumulated over the years, stapled 10 pages together, and use that as sort of a poor man's sketch book. Believe me, you'll probably have a lot of one-sided paper, and since you'll rarely have anything professional in it that and since I'm sure people doodled all the time on the edge of their notes during boring classes (I did), sketching on one-sided paper shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I'll use my tablet mainly for coloring and inking, but maybe I'll see if using it for drawing will grow on me.

Madamluna

Post by Madamluna »

Wacom 4x5 here, ruby flavored. After all these posts about how nice 6x8 is, though, I think it's time for an upgrade! Hopefully a 6x8 isn't TOO expensive...

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Double-S- wrote:The last two posts added so much to this discussion.
The question: "So I was wondering, what kind of tablets do you artsy fartsy people use?"

And I answered just that, and seeing as everyone else had pretty much said any additional information, I didn't particularly see the need to give more.

But, hay, whatever.

Here ya go then: it's a 4x5 Wacom, as previously stated. And, as Rappy stated, it's not quite as good as bigger size would be. However, it's a lot cheaper, so it gets the job done for less (as previously stated). Mine was only 100 bucks, and it came with a mouse wireless mouse that I never use. So, if you really want to have a tablet but don't want to break the bank, get a smaller one. It's scores better then trying to make artwork with a mouse. (EDIT: But I see you've already ordered one. Good on ya.)

And if you do get one, allow me to make this suggestion: Get ArtRage 2 as well. It's very fun to doodle around in and mimics real media decently... and while it's not specifically designed with making serious pieces of artwork in mind, it does a good job of it when in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Plus, it's also cheap compared to many other art programs out there. Cheap cheap cheap.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I've got a 9 x 12 Wacom tablet. Problem is, I don't draw.

I checked the bottom, and I guess it's an Intuous. It's of an indeterminate age. Mostly, it just sits there.