This is almost in "shoot-me-now" territory

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

This is almost in "shoot-me-now" territory

Post by Shadow Hog »

Wikipedia wrote:Sonic Live In Sydney
A 1½ hour live childrens show hosted at the park, Sonic Live In Sydney, was set in an alternate timeline based around the Saturday morning Sonic animated series and the Sonic 3 Mega Drive video game. Doctor Robotnik's Death Egg crash-lands in Australia instead of Angel Island, causing the scientist to attempt a takeover of Sydney, which is foiled by Sonic, Tails, and Sally Acorn at the end of the show. A subplot of this show involved Tails being shown around Sydney's landmarks. There was a large amount of audience interaction in the show.

Most of the music for the show was taken from Masato Nakamura's score on Sonic The Hedgehog 2, with three theme pieces; Sonic's That's the Score, Robotnik's Give Me Chaos and one sung by Sally Acorn. A recording without audience was made of the performance.
Ugh. The very <i>idea</i> of a live-on-stage <i>Sonic</i> show is enough to make me nauseous, let alone one that's based on ye olde cartoon show (although in its defense this show was shown ages ago, when we were too young and stupid to know the difference).

Apparently <a href="http://www.thesonicworld.net/music_satam1.php">this</a> is the music they used. I haven't dared to attempt to listen to it - I like my ears as they are, thanks, and having tons of blood gushing from them isn't really my cup of tea. Still, maybe some of you are braver than I?

Also in b4 "lol Wikipedia"

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Re: This is almost in "shoot-me-now" territory

Post by Black Rook »

Shadow Hog wrote:I haven't dared to attempt to listen to it - I like my ears as they are, thanks, and having tons of blood gushing from them isn't really my cup of tea. Still, maybe some of you are braver than I?
As much as I hate to admit it... I've heard this. All of it. I can't remember where I found the full recording, but I might actually still have it festering in my hard drive somewhere.

It's... really hard to describe. I don't know if your ears will be destroyed; I think your eyes are at greater risk, since you'll no doubt be cringing constantly at some of this stuff. Is the music cheesy? Oh yes. Sally even has a ballad that has the same vibe as You're My Hero or whatever the Sonic Blast song was called. Yes, her song somehow helps Sonic to save her. Yes, Robotnik is apparently showing signs of going furry for her. Yes, the entire thing is unfortunately very memorable. Listen at your own risk, because you are not going to forget any of this, no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, it's not really based on any specific Sonic continuity. It's kind of a grab-bag, I guess. Sally's in there, but Robotnik sounds very AoSTH. Two badnik henchmen are mentioned, and all they seem to do audio-wise is giggle and apparently do some slapstick, but they don't really give any indication as to which goons they are. My guess is they're generic original creations for the show. This is also during the time period where Tails was basically just an annoying sidekick everywhere except Japan, so he's the token 'bumbling but lovable' sidekick here. Sally is also Southern for some reason. As bad as all of it sounded, I'm still curious to see some images of this.

On the plus side, every so often, Sonic saying something important would be accompanied by the original 1-up jingle.

Yes, I know how stupid that sounds.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'm listening to "What are we Waiting For?" right now and Sonic sounds like a girl.....

WW

Post by WW »

I feel like suicide is now the only answer.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

It's for KIDS what do you expect?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Disney films are for kids, too, but they have enough quality for me to continue enjoying them as an adult. Same goes for <i>Mario</i> and the original <i>Sonic</i> games (before dialogue like "WE'RE SONIC HEROES!!!11!!1" took over)... before everyone deemed these things "kiddy" (ie: ONLY kids can enjoy them) and said "moar blud plz" and caused a major dearth of them.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

But it's not a movie. It's a stage show. stage shows are meant for little kids. They're supposed to be like Barney and such.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Correction: stage shows are NOT meant exclusively for kids. If that was the case, then what the hell's going on in Broadway? Stage shows that - gasp, shock horror - <i>are aimed at a more mature audience</i>? What a world!

Point is, even if it's mostly kids-oriented, it can't kill one to at least NOT delve into corny-territory - regardless of what medium it is.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Old, old, old news. But it always bothered me that there was so much exclusive content in Segaworld, Sydney. Even I never got to visit.

I won't speak of the other songs, but "Give Me Chaos" is surprisingly catchy.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Black Rook wrote:I can't remember where I found the full recording, but I might actually still have it festering in my hard drive somewhere.
Upload it. Upload it right now.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I've actually heard of this before. Never really got much information on it other then the characters were Sonic, Tails, and, inexplicably, Sally along with something about Chaos Emeralds.

I also have the Give Me Chaos MP3, as, like said before, it's strangely catchy in a bad bad way. Not as bad as Lazytown, but still. And now curiosity is driving me to listen to the other two songs...

Then again, I like bad things and often watch B movies for shits and giggles (thank you SciFi channel), so, my liking something has nothing to do with it's actual quality.

EDIT: Also, I can't be surprised that it was shit. I didn't think children's stage shows were anything new and from what I know of them tend they to be... well, not up to par to entertain anyone over the age of five. And/or shit. Whatever.

I've used the shit far too often in this single reply. Shit shit shitty mcshitty shitty bang bang.

EDITx2: "You gotta lift your tail and hold it in the air, you gotta make a big sound like you just don't care!" ... I... I'm... ... what? WHAT??

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Ritz wrote:Upload it. Upload it right now.
No.

I will never give in to peer pressure. Never.

NEVER.

JessicaPadkin

Post by JessicaPadkin »

I've had this for a while too. It's awesome. I would like to wipe 'Give Me Chaos' from my memory just so that I could relive the intense hilarity of hearing it for the first time.

My favourite bit is when Sally slaps Robotnik and he bizarrely responds that he rather enjoyed it. Bestiality and BDSM, it's a winning combination!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

It's all so...90's. And Australian. But yeah, Robotnik's song is pretty fresh. I think I'd drive to work listening to it.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

OH more stuff for the Sonic junk pile...

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Egg-Omatic Machine!

On the other hand Sally's song makes me want to stab my ear drums.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

C'mon now. Everyone is furry for Sally.