Little Big Planet--a gorgeous new game for the PS3

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Little Big Planet--a gorgeous new game for the PS3

Post by Ngangbius »

Today at the 2007 Game Developer's Conference, Sony showcased one of its upcoming games, Little Big Planet. LBP is a mix of high-quality 3d graphics and a 2D playing field and it allows you, along with other people on the PSN network for co-op play and to create new levels. The game really do look great, the music is catchy(it's done by The Go! Team) I will probably pick it up as soo as I can afford a PS3.

Just watch the trailer: http://kotaku.com/gaming/littlebigplane ... 242305.php

It reminds me a bit like Pikmin crossed with Lost Vikings by PIXAR. I am moved to tears. ;_;

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

That looks pretty awesome. What's this about creating new levels?

WW

Post by WW »

Wow, that honestly makes me wish I was going to buy a PS3 someday. It looks totally sweet.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

this is fucking incredible. I can't believe we're able to create such a level of cooperation blended with wonderful music and level design.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Wow, that looks really cool! I don't think I've ever seen a 2D platformer where physics played such a big role. Kotaku has a bit of a description of how the level editing works here:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/gdc-07-son ... 242171.php

If you guys like that song you should definitely check out the Go! Team's first album, "Thunder Lightning Strike." The song in the trailer is very indicative of the album as a whole. It's a freaking fantastic CD... easily one of the best of 2005.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

does somebody show tit

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's hard to tell. The people are very small!

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Annother trailer in what I'm assuming is the level-creator concept & community in action.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=47298

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Shit, there is no way on earth I can justify a PS3, thus I will never get to play this possible masterpiece. I feel empty inside.....

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

This game justifies the PS3. Holy shit.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I haven't watched any videos or anything, but if I had a PS3, I'd totally look into it.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I don't own a PS3, but I watched the video anyway because I like video games.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It looks incredibly cool. I do wonder how long it can possibly hold your attention if the entire focus is on building and playing user-created stages that are pure playgrounds with no enemies or required tasks.

If there WERE enemies and tasks, then I could see it going on forever. It'd be like that Lode Runner editor I sunk hours of my life into as a kid.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Esrever wrote:It'd be like that Lode Runner editor I sunk hours of my life into as a kid.
Fuck. Don't even get me started about it.

This game seems amazing. Damn. This is the first game to make me think about buying a PS3. I definetly don't want to.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Nothing really can make me think seriously about getting one at this stage. There's nothing moral about it, it's just priced outside of what I'm willing to pay for video games. But sure, if there's neat titles like this one then in a few years when the price drops and I actually have an HD TV I'll probably pick one up.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I own a PS3. I just received vindication.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Looks pretty awesome, but I'm a little confused by the co-op play mode. I'm assuming that's what we saw, anyway.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

wow. just wow. It's nice to see some sidescrolling action on a home console for once. The art style kind of reminded me of pixar. once I get 600 bucks...

On that note anyone see the trailer for this sega game for the psp coming out called crush? It's also a 2d/3d hybrid. It's pretty cool also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEywtrjBkw

Grant

Post by Grant »

Wow. Everything about Little Big Planet in that trailer just seemed so mind blowing, so rad!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Majestic Joey wrote:On that note anyone see the trailer for this sega game for the psp coming out called crush? It's also a 2d/3d hybrid. It's pretty cool also.
Wow! This is awesome. I actually had an idea pretty close to this, regarding a possible 3D Megaman game (that was a long time before Legends came out). I was thinking how great would it be a Megaman game where you could choose between 3D roaming and 2D sidescrolling, and you'd use it to move along.

Sega stole my idea right from my head!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I found Crush to be way more interesting that Little Big World. I mean, sure it looks very nice, but it looks pretty bland. I can't see much fun in designing levels then playing through them. You'd know all the solutions. If you could trade level maps online, they've could have something good though.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I think that Little Big Planet looks quite gorgeous, but I see myself having my fill of that game after the 8th level (if the trailer is any indication of the overall gameplay and level length and design). Here's hoping for some great level design instead of the level design relying solely on physics and nothing else.

Speaking as a 3d artist, I'm quite amazed at the physics engine featured so far. There are a lot of instances in that trailer that I've always wanted to emulate in 3d. I'd probably check out the game for that reason alone.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

That's the first PS3 game I'm genuinely interested in. Lovely-lookin' stuff.

Don't suppose it's anything to do with the Little Big Adventure games? Never got round to playing those...

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

One Classy Bloke wrote:I found Crush to be way more interesting that Little Big World. I mean, sure it looks very nice, but it looks pretty bland. I can't see much fun in designing levels then playing through them. You'd know all the solutions. If you could trade level maps online, they've could have something good though.
So, you didn't watch the trailer... Or read much about it.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Esrever wrote:It looks incredibly cool. I do wonder how long it can possibly hold your attention if the entire focus is on building and playing user-created stages that are pure playgrounds with no enemies or required tasks.

If there WERE enemies and tasks, then I could see it going on forever. It'd be like that Lode Runner editor I sunk hours of my life into as a kid.
Well the 1 player mode has a finish line. Maybe the trailer just didn't show the use of goals. One of the levels on the list was called Diamond Heist, which suggests some intended use for the level. Even if you can't actually set a goal that causes the action to stop, you could still imply one. That's how The Incredible Toon Machine worked (an editor I sunk slightly more of my life into than Lode Runner). Even if you couldn't add text explaining it, you could do something obvious like putting one of those lemons in plain sight but keeping it out of reach with a puzzle.