If Robotnik Is a Genius...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Speaking of Eggman's part in Sonic Heroes, how exactly did he send that package to Chaotix?

Also, I always thought that Omega's hatred of Eggman could be a case of mistaken identity. Since Metal Sonic goes through a good portion of the game disguised as Eggman, it seems like a possibility. Though it was Eggman who made him guard Shadow, it's hard to tell if it was the real Eggman or Metal.

I think Sonic does want Eggman to stay around. This is particularly noticiable in Secret Rings when he perminently traps Erazor Gjin.
Last edited by gr4yJ4Y on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Code: Select all

[spoiler]< these are spoiler tags >[/spoiler]

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Because the same reason the Joker cant kill Batman...it would end the story.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

But that's the boring way to explain it.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Because the same reason the Joker cant kill Batman...it would end the story.
The Joker doesn't want to kill Batman, though, for two reasons:

1) He enjoys playing with Batman

and

2) If he kills Batman, the police would actually have to put effort into catching him instead. And the police don't use batarangs and fists to take down criminals. They use fucking guns. The Joker ain't stupid. He knows that if it's a shootout between him and the police, he's going to end up being smiling swiss cheese. But when the Batman gets him, he just gets a sore jaw and a week in Arkham.

WW

Post by WW »

No one ever said the truth would be exciting.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Let's fix that, then:

It turns out, Sonic and Robotnik are long-lost half-brothers sharing the same mother. Both went out to see her are she was dying from Chaos Emerald poisoning, or being run over by a Motobug or something to that effect, and both siblings swore to their dying mother that no matter what, they would never kill each other. Both also agreed this was a stranger request than they had expected, but both solemnly swore it. In fact, it was sealed with a pinky swear, over which they placed a golden ring. Since those things can do whatever they have to to advance the story, it created an unbreakable bond between the two brothers. Sonic and Robotnik went their separate ways and years later, were brought back together by fate: Robotnik was doing mean things, and Sonic was being all heroic, so naturally, it was time for a fight.

However, the bond of the golden ring prevented them from ever killing each other. Oh, they tried. But no matter what, the magic of the ring kept them from harm's way.

Oh, and Big is like their second-cousin or something. He's jealous of their bond and wishes he could have the power of situational immortality. He alone has discovered the weakness of the bond: Sonic and Robotnik can still be killed by a third party. Big now watches and waits, under the false identity of a retarded fisherman living in a house without walls, until the day when he can finally spring his carefully laid trap and defeat the HedgEggman Brothers once and for all.

Of course, I may just be giving Sonic Team ideas...

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Short Answer:

Eggman can't kill Sonic becuase Sonic is too fast.

Sonic can't kill Eggman becuase he's the hero, and therefore, not a murderer.

Also, then there'd be no more games.

Long Answer:

It has been said by Sonic Team that Eggman secretly likes Sonic. I think at first, Eggman may have wanted to kill him, but over the years, the two battled so much, that he enjoyed Sonic's company, and sortof has fun constantly battling him and trying to defeat him. I wouldn't say he CARES for Sonic, but he respects him as a formidable adversary, as evidenced by how he bowed his head and said he admired him after believing he killed Sonic in SA2.

The two have somewhat of a Xavier/Magneto relationship, I say.

Despite any secret feelings of admiration Eggman may have for Sonic,
I still think he'd kill him given the chance, since he's usually strong-willed and determined in all of his evil plots, and he won't let anyone stop him from achieving his goals, whether it be a friend or foe. (He fried Knuckles in Sonic & Knuckles, showed anger Sonic survived the capsule in SA2, destroyed half the moon, and destroyed cities. When he has a goal, This guy means business.)

however, recently Sonic Team seems to have wussed him down a bit.
In the japanese version of Sonic X, episode 26, he was worried sonic could die when the Egg Emperor/Eggsterminator beat the crap out of Sonic, and going by info I got online, was later defeated by the Government towards the end of the series, rather than Sonic himself. Not to mention the fact he always has a habit of unleashing some sort of monster to help him rule the world, and said monster always betrays him at the end. (Chaos, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Mephilies)

Nowadays Sonic & Eggman seem to be childish rivals. Sonic is the popular kid everyone likes, Eggman is the nerdy, secluded kid who nobody likes. Eggman and Sonic battle each other, Eggman using his technology, Sonic using his athletics. When a bigger threat comes around, the two makeup and work together only to hate each other again at the end, and go on to battle another day.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

...can he see why kids love Cinnammon Toast Crunch?

That's what should've followed the thread's title.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Zeta wrote:The Joker doesn't want to kill Batman
I remembered reading something on Wiki pertaining to that, so I went back to see if I could find it, and lo and behold I found this:
Wikipedia wrote:In "The Clown at Midnight" (featured in Batman #663), the Joker states to Batman, "You can't kill me without becoming like me. I can't kill you without losing the only human being who can keep up with me. Isn't it ironic?!" The Joker says later, "I could never kill you. Where would the act be without my straight man."
There are other examples, but I think that's the best one of the bunch.

I don't think that Sonic and Eggman are on that level, but I do think that they've gained a respect for each other. After all, if I had someone that constantly thwarted my most well-thought out schemes, or someone that came back after countless defeats with the same determination as they did before, I'd eventually have a trace of respect for their persistence, no matter how annoying they might be.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Zeta wrote:The Joker doesn't want to kill Batman
Ever read that Legends of the Dark Knight "Going Sane"? The Joker actually thinks he killed Batman, and becomes a normal, sane person, as if his act had ended.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

"You can't kill me without becoming like me."
I really liked that episode of The Batman where the Joker decides to become Batman and replace him.

Remix

Post by Remix »

As a staunch Batfan, I really don't think Batman/Joker is a very good comparison.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What an excellent argument!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I think it's EXACTELY like Batman and Joker.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Another excellent argument!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

A succession of excellent posts!

Grant

Post by Grant »

Hello! I am typing across the internet. You've Got Mail! Goodbye!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The question is, do I break this self-absorbed chain, or do I perpetuate it with glee?

Anyways, I believe that it's a valid comparison in that it's a dynamic relationship between a hero and a villain. Certainly, while Sonic and Robotnik have a more archetypal relationship, the fact that the both exist in a fictionalized form and are defined as a protagonist and antagonist is enough reason to compare them.

You could compare almost anything to anything else if you have an argument grounded in logic. Of course, then you run the risk of sounding sophistic, but who cares?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Robotnik wants to defeat Sonic using his machines, or at least something controlled by him like Chaos or Shadow, using a gun would be too easy...

Why do you think he let stupid metal Sonic to take over? he wanted it to crush Sonic, the whole "He trapped me" was a fraud...

Remix

Post by Remix »

Opa-Opa wrote:I think it's EXACTELY like Batman and Joker.
It's still a very broad comparison.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Arcade wrote:Why do you think he let stupid metal Sonic to take over? he wanted it to crush Sonic, the whole "He trapped me" was a fraud...
You're putting way too much thought into Sonic Heroes' plot. Eggman was beaten by Metal, simple as that. Nothing concerning the real Eggman was fraudulent.

Probably one of the few cutscenes I actually like in Secret Rings is the one where Sonic saves Eggman from the pterodactyl. He doesn't seem to want Eggman to die, but he doesn't seem too chuffed about having to save him, either. Its like Sonic has a "Can't live with him, can't live without him" mentality; Sonic's whole life revolves around defeating Eggman, but Sonic wouldn't be Sonic without Eggman as an enemy. Therefore, he will never seek to kill him, only to foil whatever plans he has and then go along on his merry way. Think the ending of Heroes, where the only people who gave a toss about aprehending Eggman were the Chaotix, who were only in it for the money. Even though Eggman hadn't done anything wrong in this particular instance, it was still a perfect time for Sonic to catch him and hand him in. He didn't.

As for Eggman, its been discussed pretty thoroughly why he'll never kill Sonic: He'd have nothing to aim for if he didn't have an arch rival, someone to keep him on his toes and someone to provide a constant challenge. Eggman is the sort of person who always wants to better himself, and Sonic is a good way to motivate himself to do so.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

In Secret Rings, it was King Whatshisname, not really Eggman. I got the feeling he saved him because Sharah was standing right there.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

This was the first time Sonic had run into any of the look-alikes, and he was constantly being confused about familiar characters not recognizing him, so I'd say at that particular point, his attitude was still mostly the same as the one he has towards the real Eggman.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I really wish they'd explain the lookalikes. It would've taken like 3 seconds to explain the book was filling up the erased pages with Sonic's memories to try to hold together as long as it could.