Wii can't take the heat.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

My Wii is just an endless parade of annoying, random problems. I mean, I love the fuck out of the thing, but there are weird bugs that pop up here and there that really irritate me sometimes. Which is weird, because I bought my SNES, N64 and Gamecube all during their launches, and I never had a problem with all 3. The Wii, however, is different.

The most common problem I have with my Wii is that sometimes it fails to recognize a controller, and the only way I can get the controller to sync up again is by unplugging the system for a few minutes then powering up again. And yeah, I tried the sync button, but that doesn't help.

I've also pressed the eject button only to have the Wii console itself vibrate like its having a seizure, and then freeze up. The only way I could fix this was again by unplugging the system and restarting it.

It also freezes up like crazy everytime I use the Opera browser, but I'm guessing that's Opera's fault and not Nintendo's. It's not a big deal for me though, seeing how rarely I use the Wii's browser.

Of course, these problems only pop up once ever 3 or 4 weeks, but it's still pretty fucking irritating to have a Nintendo system with the reliability of a... uh, Sony system. Also, none of my friends have ever had any of these problems, so I'm not sure if my Wii is just a semi-defective model or if my life just sucks. Probably a little bit of both.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

If my system was vibrating like it was having a seizure and then freezing, I would definitely be returning it to Nintendo. That's what the warranty is for!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, they'll replace it no questions asked. Except for the questions they ask of course, but the point is they'll replace it with no real resistance.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Nintendo is going to replace mine free of charge, because it overheated twice more. The only kick in the nads is that I lose my progress on Elebits and Zelda. But I finished Zelda, so the only thing that annoys me is having to play Elebits again. I would get a memory card and save the games to it, but apparently that won't even work unless I get an online update, and I have no wireless internet connection. So yeah - fuck. At least they send YOU the system instead of asking you to send it to them and be Wiiless for two weeks.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You can't transfer saves on SD cards?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Apparently, not unless you get the initial online update that requires you connecting the system to the internet. Without that, it just saves pictures.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Squirrelknight wrote: it's still pretty fucking irritating to have a Nintendo system with the reliability of a... uh, Sony system.
I've had a PlayStation 2 for five years and never had a single problem with it. What on Earth do you people do with your Sony systems?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hey Zeta, why don't you buy the Nintendo USB dongle? That's what Claire and I use to get ours online, because we don't have a wireless internet connection.

The USB dongle works great as long as you have a computer with a regular internet connection somewhere nearby.

Tsuyoshi, obviously the console does not have a 100 percent fail rate. That would be insane! But it IS notorious for breaking down more frequently than others.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mostly I don't want to buy it because a memory card + the USB dongle would add up to 50 bucks. And I'd rather spend that on a new game than part with that amount of cash just to keep three gamesaves of games I've already finished.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Esrever wrote:The USB dongle works great as long as you have a computer with a regular internet connection somewhere nearby.
...assuming you aren't using ZoneAlarm, and aren't somewhere that disallows you to create wireless networks as such (I know my campus doesn't let you, hence why I had to get the LAN adapter instead).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, I'm behind a ridiculously restrictive firewall that's driving me nuts.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What types of wireless security does the Wii support anyway?

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Squirrelknight wrote:The most common problem I have with my Wii is that sometimes it fails to recognize a controller, and the only way I can get the controller to sync up again is by unplugging the system for a few minutes then powering up again. And yeah, I tried the sync button, but that doesn't help.
You mean the problem where you're controller lights just flash a few times whenever you hit a button? Yeah, that's a problem I get occassionally as well, but I fix it in a much faster way. Simply hold the Wii's power button down for five seconds or so to turn it off, then turn it back on (using the Wii's power button again). That seems to fix the problem immediately, and takes about ten seconds.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah, like Hybrid said, it's a problem that comes up every once in awhile. I solve it generally in a quicker way, just by taking the batteries out for a second and putting them back in the remote, it seems to do the trick each time without having to reset the system (because the problem has occurred a few times in game, although it hasn't lately).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Actually, I have my own interesting problem where my Wii just kinda randomly <i>falls over</i> while I'm sleeping. Right there - not touching it, don't see anything that fell to knock it over, don't see <i>how</i> it fell over, and I'm confident it was on level ground (checked under the stand, no wires or anything - for the record, the stand fell over simultaneously with the Wii, it would seem, since it was still hooked on the bottom of the toppled console). I'm confident Nintendo's consoles can withstand a few slams like this (remember that, when utterly abused in a "scientific experiment" of sorts on <i>X-Play</i>, the GC was the one to outlast the Xbox and PS2), so it's probably nothing to worry about - it's only happened once or twice.

Then again, I've noticed a lot of things falling over on my desk of late. I want to blame my roommate, but honestly, looking it all over, I just don't see HOW he could do anywhere near this many collisions in his sleep, so it's got to be something else... I just don't know <i>what</i>.

Other than that, I don't seem to have any of the problems you guys have with my Wii. Lucky me?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

You have a poltergeist, Shadow Hog. Taunt it. Then, when it gets mean, call Hollywood. Instant B-movie!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

My friend tells me that all the wireless signals in her apartment complex wreak havoc with hers, that the Wii can't pick a single signal and devote itself to it.

In short, the Wii swings. Given that my building has about 22 or more present wifi signals, I'm a little uneasy bringing the potential cybersluttery into my domain.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Shadow Hog, try using the clear plastic piece you can snap onto the bottom of the stand. I don't see how the stand, at least, could fall over then.

During the few times I've tried to get the Wii online at a friend's place, it's wanted to jump back to the first internet setting everytime I turned the machine off. I just had to reset the internet setting before using it.

Kelso

Post by Kelso »

When my Wii is on and running, the fans keeps things nice and cool, but when it's in standby and the fans are off, it gets pretty toasty. I don't know if it's from constantly connecting to the internet or what but I've taken to unplugging it when I'm not using it. As soon as there is an intercooler that runs all the time, especially when it's in standby, I'm all over it.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

You can just turn off "WiiConnect24", you know. Then it WON'T be constantly connecting to the Internet, and therefore won't be heating up so much. That's what I do, seeing as my connection isn't constant anyway.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I just unplug the system. I don't get on the Internet anyway.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Shadow Hog wrote:You can just turn off "WiiConnect24", you know. Then it WON'T be constantly connecting to the Internet, and therefore won't be heating up so much. That's what I do, seeing as my connection isn't constant anyway.
You don't even have to turn off Connect24. You can just turn off "standby mode", which is what allows it to run Connect24 when it is off. That's what I did, anyway!

Kelso

Post by Kelso »

I know, I did do that for awhile, but I'd always either forget to do it, or forget to switch things back later. Lately I've been going several days without using the system at all, so my easy answer has been to just leave it unplugged.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

How do you turn off standby mode, anyways?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's in the main options, innit?