Wii are very frustrated. (SatSR) [Minor Spoilers Ahead?]

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Grant wrote:
Delphine wrote:Wow, this game is crap.
Have you played it yet?
Yes. I'm only up to the third world, so I should probably give it some time to grow on me. I guess I shouldn't say it's crap; it's just nothing special, that's all. I was hoping for a Sonic game. Instead I got Generic Platformer That Happens To Be On The Wii.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Apparently, all the party minigames can be played with GameCube controllers.

Yeah, I dunno why either, and since they're different development teams, I'll wager the main mode can't be played with a GameCube controller as well. Not that it'd make life any easier, necessarily.

I have to admit, a few stages later, some of the jumps can be... very <i>imprecise</i>, to say the least. Take one of the "GET 99 RINGS LOL" missions in Dinosaur Jungle. There's a silver ring thing inside a treasure chest almost immediately after getting launched off the initial platform, which must be unlocked by killing three enemies on the lower platform, at which point you land on the higher one with the chest on it. Thing is, while killing the enemies is easy enough, I have great difficulty landing on that higher platform because the game insists that I shouldn't be that far right, so only a small portion of that platform can actually be landed on. It might be easier to jump from the bottom - if your charge jump didn't perform as it does, making you walk forward while charging, or moving forward instantly, so that most of the time, I hit the bottom of the platform instead of landing on top, after which I fall into a bottomless pit.

I suppose I should lighten up about it, but it just seems that the requirements for the medals requires superhuman mastery of the Wii controls, sometimes - just normal playing might net you jack, and doing rather well only nets you a bronze. It's rather annoying, really.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Such is the reality of playing a game where the team were forced to add in unfairly difficult missions as a false way of extending play time, because as usual they didn't have anywhere near as long on development as they should've had.

I'll be playing this in a week as I finally managed to pick up my Wii a couple of days ago. I'm not expecting much as I have yet to enjoy a 3D Sonic as of yet, but I'm happy that I'm at least getting something different from the norm. I seriously wish Sega would stop fucking every game over by restricting development time though, it seems like the vast majority of 3d Sonic problems come because they have to rush the games out the door.

I don't want a DNF "when it's done" approach to perfection, but come on, at least give a title a bit longer if it obviously needs it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get a gold on some of the missions until you have earned and enabled certain skills.

For example, I've encountered some racing missions that were impossible to even complete without using the skills that improve your acceleration, decrease your speed lose when you land a jump, and increase the range of your homing attack... you just can't get Sonic going fast enough otherwise. And those three skills are relatively early in the game... I'm assuming that some of the skills I haven't earned yet will increase Sonic's speed even more.

I'm operating under the assumption that there's no real point trying to replay missions for scores and medals until you've earned all the skills in the game, or at least as many of them as possible. I mean, it makes sense. Until you've earned all the skills, you're not even going to know what they are, let alone if any of them will make certain missions easier. You could bust your butt off for hours trying to get a gold, never get it, and then later find out that you need a particular skill to pull it off.

Grant

Post by Grant »

The skills absolutely add a lot of depth to the game. I wasn't paying very close attention to them as I went through the story, just sort of adding ones I thought would be the best, but by the time I had the first duel with Erazor, it was something that you really needed to think about.

This is probably the first 3D Sonic game that as soon as I finished story mode, I kept on playing. So, to answer the replayability question, at least so far, the extra missions and challenges have me hooked. A big reason is that there's some pay off to doing them unlike SA (or even SA2 in which it was one reward for way too much effort). There's a lot of neat unlockables in the Secret Book thing, and I mainly just want to unlock the background music to figure out what the hell the lyrics are in the main theme. What is he saying? "Make believe reborn"? "Make alive the ring"? WHAT SAY YOU!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I kind of hope they keep this series going as a spin-off series featuring Sonic having adventures in famous works of literature.

So for the sequels,Sonic should go into the works of:

* Rudyard Kipling (Sonic and the Mongoose King)
* HP Lovecraft (Sonic at Innsmouth)
* T. H. White (A Hedgehog in King Arthur's Court)
* Miyamoto Musashi (Sonic and the Five Rings)

I think it's a winning concept.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Especially if they maintain the current level of accuracy in the adapations. I always thought the Sword in the Stone could use some more dinosaurs!

At the stage I'm at in the game now (obviously not nearly as far as Grant), I can basically have almost all of the skills I've earned turned on all the time. I'm only really just starting to get to the point where I have to leave one or two turned off.

The decisions haven't been too hard so far. I have one skill that apparently amplifies my sliding skill, but I don't actually HAVE the sliding skill yet. So I've been turning off that one, and then one that turns the backstep into an attack.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

I liked the final movie, but the very end was CHEESY. And WTF was Sonic painted like a Dodge Viper in the beginning? "I'm not a rat, I'M A HEDGEHOG! YEAH MOTHERFUCKER YEAH!!!!" :roll:

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's "Make believe reborn".

I assume that "sliding" is when you're holding the jump button and are kinda skidding around, waiting to release.

Big's in the game, believe it or not. The image is too big to post, so <a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shadowwin ... pg">here's a link.</a> (Image credit of SHADONIC; not mine)

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Yeah, apparently if you come to a complete stop in a certain part of each level, Big will pop out. Kind of a nod to SA2, I guess.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I heard it also unlocks Big the Cat movies in that "Special Book" section.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, there's a diary just for Big's crazy adventures. They need to keep doing that with every game. He's no good as a playable character, but for random easter egg humor - he's priceless.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Esrever wrote:I have one skill that apparently amplifies my sliding skill, but I don't actually HAVE the sliding skill yet. So I've been turning off that one, and then one that turns the backstep into an attack.
What they mean by sliding, I'm pretty sure, is what happens before you release the 2 button.

Also, the last page in the Special Book gives you little hints on where to find Big, but I remain unsuccessful in spotting him. I'm excited to see Big's diary, seems like it might be as amusing as Luigi's parallel quest in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I got too excited to read those each time. Luigi's the fucking man.

And put me in the camp who enjoyed Big's fishing to a certain extent, but don't want to see it again by any means.

Anon

Post by Anon »

DackAttac wrote:And put me in the camp who enjoyed Big's fishing to a certain extent, but don't want to see it again by any means.
Ditto. It worked, but compared to the main game it stuck out like a sore thumb. It would have served better as a mini-game, but that would defeat the entire purpose of Big's quest.

Then again, I also liked the hunting stages in both Adventure games, so take that for what it's worth.

And Sonic's characterization in the SatSR ending iis surprisingly awesome. I haven't seen him that badass since watching the Sonic CD movies. More surprising is that Jason Griffith sounds spot on in that scene; definitely a step up from what I remember him sounding like in Sonic X. The 'handkerchief mountain' is hilariously corny though, and whoever hired Erazor's voice actor can die in a fire. Twice.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Grant wrote:Also, the last page in the Special Book gives you little hints on where to find Big, but I remain unsuccessful in spotting him. I'm excited to see Big's diary, seems like it might be as amusing as Luigi's parallel quest in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
I got the guide today, and it lists all of the diary entries.

They're basically humorous pics of Big and short, 1-2 sentence long passages from Big's perspective. Funny, but not nearly as good as Luigi's cameos in PM2.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Anon wrote:And Sonic's characterization in the SatSR ending iis surprisingly awesome. I haven't seen him that badass since watching the Sonic CD movies. More surprising is that Jason Griffith sounds spot on in that scene; definitely a step up from what I remember him sounding like in Sonic X. The 'handkerchief mountain' is hilariously corny though, and whoever hired Erazor's voice actor can die in a fire. Twice.
The handkerchief mountain is a callback to the beginning of the game, where Sonic requests one for himself because of a cold. But yeah, it's very, very corny.

As for the badass thing, I remember thinking a few times throughout the game that I can't remember the last time Sonic was so cruel! I mean, typically he's pouncing on robots to free creatures but in Secret Rings, there's the part where he viciously rips the horns out of a living crab creature and then the ending, condemning the Erazor Djinn to be locked up for the rest of time which is a big contrast with Sonic's treatment of Perfect Chaos in SA.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's because it's not just Sonic. It's Sonic channeling Kratos from God of War. Seriously. The director wanted to include the sequence from God of War where Kratos hops on Gryphons and rips out their wings, but done with Sonic. Luckily, everyone restrained him.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah, but in Sonic Adventure 1, the entire city and cast were basically watching. Now he's trapped in a story book world where his actions are basically inconsequential. At last Sonic's true character comes out.

Grant

Post by Grant »

That's a good point. Everyone was chanting his name! What was he to do?

I guess we can basically conclude that Sonic the Hedgehog is a nihilist.

Anon

Post by Anon »

At least Perfect Chaos had some motive behind his/her/it/potato's actions — the creatures that it looked after were damn near annihlated all over greed. Mind you, that's no need to take it out on the entire world, but it's at least somewhat more understandable than wanting to take over the world and shape it in your own image just for shits and giggles, like what I'm getting from Erazor Djinn.
Grant wrote:I guess we can basically conclude that Sonic the Hedgehog is a nihilist.
Nihilist or narcissist? Because I figured that he was the latter quite some time ago.

Edit: Also, if this game has made me realize anything, it's that you do not call the lead protagonist the name of another species. Freeza did that with Goku, and he ended up being blown up with a planet before being sliced, diced, and flambéd six months later. You think they would learn by now.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Anon wrote: Freeza did that with Goku, and he ended up being blown up with a planet before being sliced, diced, and flambéd six months later.
With the way they released the episodes, it felt like six years later.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mind you, that's no need to take it out on the entire world, but it's at least somewhat more understandable than wanting to take over the world and shape it in your own image just for shits and giggles, like what I'm getting from Erazor Djinn.
Obviously he wants to break free from 1001 Nights so he can sue Disney for royalties of Disney's Aladdin.

And take revenge on Robin Williams.

KitsuneDarkStalker

FOR YOUR MOVIE "RV" I SHALL DESTROY YOU!

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

So... how's the music?