Attention New Members

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Blount

Re: Attention New Members

Post by Blount »

"Submit Your Cheats/Move Lists" would be too long, I thought. My point still stands, however.
Baba O'Riley wrote:Shoryuken is not a cheat. It's a way to establish priority over someone who's getting too jumpy.
If you know how to use it.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Jesus Christ, I knew what you were posting before I even hovered above the link.

"O poder do Hulk é saltar!"

Blount

Post by Blount »

"Queres-me é acertar com esse negócio!"

Likewise, I knew you had commented on this when I saw you were the last person to post in this board. Either we're both very predictable or masters of deduction.

Time to test my theory: the next poster in this topic will not show us an image of an attractive woman's chest. You may all call me Sherlock Holmes II if I'm right. If I'm wrong I'll have my consolation prize.

The suspense. It tickles.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

With a little effort, we could turn "O poder do Hulk é saltar" into the first portuguese meme ever, amigo(s) lusitano(s).

Baba O'Riley

Re:

Post by Baba O'Riley »

That gave me a hearty chuckle.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Nah, he's referencing this cheat for Sonic & Tails.

Ratfink

Post by Ratfink »

Hello everyone, I'm Ratfink. I really like the original Sonic games. I've completed Sonic 1 and 2, but got kinda stuck on 3. More specifically, the part of Carnival Night Zone 2 where you need to jump on the thingy to make it go REALLY REALLY far down to continue. As far as I can tell, that's impossible. Anyway, hi again. I hope to have fun discussing all things Sonic here.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Remember how the game teaches you to move by pressing on the horizontal axis of the D-Pad? Yeah? Think again.

Either that or you're a troll. Either way you reminded me of the stuff Gibbs used to post on the front page when it worked, so it's all good.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:Either way you reminded me of the stuff Gibbs used to post on the front page when it worked
Remember those days? That was usually cool.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Oh God, that fucking barrel. I can't believe so many people succumbed to it. JUST PRESS UP AND DOWN. Fuck.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Man, I remember that barrel thwarting me when I was a kid. I didn't see any clues that you could move it with the D-pad. I think I ended up getting a hit from this site, but man that was a long time ago!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I used to use the water bubble to get it to bounce and just barely get through the gap between barrel and ground if I was lucky enough. There's no water bubbles between the last checkpoint (which you have to go through) and there though, making it pretty annoying. IIRC, at least.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

That barrel was the only reason I finished the game with Knuckles before any of the other two characters. And by extension, this made the Metal/Mecha Sonic battle in the end more awesome than it was intended (what with hearing the music for the first time).

Welcome!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Is it possible to clear the stage without meeting the barrel? I remember dying a couple of times but I don't remember ever actually solving it. I think I got someone to airlift me as Tails or something, but then again I'm not sure that's enough to get you out.

Carnival Night was possibly my least favourite stage of the Genesis-era series. It was really confusing, the concept had been recycled from the past 2 games, the bosses were pretty terrible, and the music was goddamn awful (I played the PC version). Also I live in Britain and we think that the word "Carnival" is dumb.

oh and I'm Crisis by the way

hi

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crisis wrote:Is it possible to clear the stage without meeting the barrel?
Only through Knuckles's path. Whether there's a way to wedge Sonic and Tails through there is beyond me, though.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:
Crisis wrote:Is it possible to clear the stage without meeting the barrel?
Only through Knuckles's path. Whether there's a way to wedge Sonic and Tails through there is beyond me, though.
In 11 years that's not something i've come across. But you ever realize how calculatingly cruel it is, how it can look as if Knuckles' fun-with-the-lights prank was a little device built just to funnel you into the damn thing?

First time I pinched through was abusing co-op to jump on the barrel in tandem, which I had to assume at the time is what they wanted you to go through since, if playing a Sonic alone game, Tails up and suddenly joins you after the sub-boss.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Crisis wrote:and the music was goddamn awful (I played the PC version).
Haha, sucks to be you. Or at least, I say that, but I think I'm the only person on the planet who likes the music for the Mega Drive version.
Link

K2J

Post by K2J »

You can also pass through with Super Sonic. As for me, I just locked on S&K and used debug mode.

K2J

Post by K2J »

(Edit limit, sorry)

Flash, you might have encountered this glitch if you say Tails joined you spontaneously in the second act.

And as you can see from this guy's videos, it is possible to get Sonic & Tails into Knuckles part of the Act and bypass the barrel, though I don't think you can complete the stage if you do that.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

When I first played Sonic 3 I also resorted to co-op mode, took me a while to figure out how they expected it to be done with one character.

Since I don't have access to a Mega Drive at the moment, does anyone know if the barrel was made easier for Sonic Jam (even in "original" mode)? I'm pretty sure the level select cheat was made easier to input in Jam (again, even in "original" mode).

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Sierra themselves couldn't come up with a puzzle more obtuse than that damn barrel. I think I uses every method you guys mentioned to get by that thing before I found out the intended way.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Since I don't have access to a Mega Drive at the moment, does anyone know if the barrel was made easier for Sonic Jam (even in "original" mode)? I'm pretty sure the level select cheat was made easier to input in Jam (again, even in "original" mode).
The barrel isn't present in Easy mode. It's there in both Normal and Original.

The level select code can be entered at anytime in the title screen, as opposed to the original, where you have to input it between the Sega screen and the title screen, along to the beat of the music. (Which makes it the coolest code ever in a Sonic game.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Neo wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:Since I don't have access to a Mega Drive at the moment, does anyone know if the barrel was made easier for Sonic Jam (even in "original" mode)? I'm pretty sure the level select cheat was made easier to input in Jam (again, even in "original" mode).
The barrel isn't present in Easy mode. It's there in both Normal and Original.
Yeah, but was it like, bouncier? When I first played Jam I was surprised at how easy it was, although it had been years since playing the original edition of Sonic 3.
Neo wrote:The level select code can be entered at anytime in the title screen, as opposed to the original, where you have to input it between the Sega screen and the title screen, along to the beat of the music. (Which makes it the coolest code ever in a Sonic game.)
And the hardest to activate.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Yeah, but was it like, bouncier? When I first played Jam I was surprised at how easy it was, although it had been years since playing the original edition of Sonic 3.
Don't think so, no. It all depends on the timing, start holding the relevant button right when the barrel starts moving in that direction and its speed like, doubles.
Crazy Penguin wrote:And the hardest to activate.
And thusly the most rewarding.

Zeupar

Post by Zeupar »

That fucking rotating barrel... I have seen Sonic websites with a section dedicated to explain how to get past that bitch.

P.S.: Hello, I'm new (sort of). :D