Do you dream in 2D?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Hell, combine Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles into one game, update the graphics, add some updated non-midi versions of the background tracks, and I'd buy it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Concurred x2.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'd want that in my library somewhere, but I wouldn't want to see time wasted on another port, especially with the overhaul required when it'd probably easier just to make a fresh console 2D game... and depending on how the upcoming Paper Mario platformer does, that might not be such a hypothetical fantasy.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Black Rook wrote:Hell, combine Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles into one game, update the graphics, add some updated non-midi versions of the background tracks, and I'd buy it.
Toss in CD and make time travel possible in all zones.

Also, a while back there was a discussion about a true Super Sonic zone. I propose one such zone to be added, and it would be called Electric Emerald Zone. Like? Dislike?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

What about the Special Zones? With everything they can do nowadays, the special zones had to be a little (read: a lot) more than your usual Sonic 2 tube thing. Maybe something with the Wiimote, maybe something 3D (the only thing, apart from some huge bosses).

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

jenkins wrote:
Black Rook wrote:Hell, combine Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles into one game, update the graphics, add some updated non-midi versions of the background tracks, and I'd buy it.
Toss in CD and make time travel possible in all zones.
And include both soundtracks.
Opa-Opa wrote:What about the Special Zones? With everything they can do nowadays, the special zones had to be a little (read: a lot) more than your usual Sonic 2 tube thing. Maybe something with the Wiimote, maybe something 3D (the only thing, apart from some huge bosses).
Make them like the Saturn 3D Blast special stages.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

the special zones had to be a little (read: a lot) more than your usual Sonic 2 tube thing

KitsuneDarkStalker

The Saturn 3D stages were a WHOLE lot more than Sonic 2...they were...well OK they weren't...but they were PRETTY.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8oOkQUkYVTo

I liked those, I don't want anything more. If you really wanted soemthing more, just stick a level of Sonic and the Secret Rings in and call it a Special Stage.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

We all agreed in a poll that Chaotix had the best special stages; can't anyone else picture a fully 3-D version of those which can be operated via Wiimote?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

No way, Sonic 3D Blast Saturn had the best special stages, and Crazy Penguin will back me on this.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

After checking the poll, it appears we're both wrong...but I recall the discussion being in my favor, at least.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Remember when Sonic Heroes tried to do this, but completely failed?

It was like the controls were programmed by blind man.

Press forward to go! Tunnel curves! You lose control and run up the side of the tunnel, lose traction and fall! Repeat the process for maximum power.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I also didn't really like the Special Stages in Sonic Rush. They're probably my least favorite in the series after Heroes.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

You mean, you even prefer the Special Stages in Advance 1 to Rush's?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

FlashTHD wrote:
the special zones had to be a little (read: a lot) more than your usual Sonic 2 tube thing
Er... me english no good. Sorry. I meant they had to be something else than Sonic 2 remakes, because we've had enough of that already.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Conclusion: <i>Sonic 3</i> special stage remakes.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Let's just go ahead and include Blue Sphere as a bonus game. Hours and hours of fun playing limitless combinations.

There have certainly been worse option. Like that retarded kart racing thing in SA2.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I actually would have liked the sonic rush special stages if I did not have to use that gay touch screen. The music in the special stages did make up for it though.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Segaholic2 wrote:No way, Sonic 3D Blast Saturn had the best special stages
They also had the best music of any special stage ever.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

They should make a Sonic game where all that it is is special stages, but with all the regular themes, bosses, etc.

Actually that's a lot like Sonic and the Secret Rings now that I think about it.

But I'd have to say that Sonic Rush's were way better than Chaotix. I can't speak for Sonic 3D Blast, seeing as I've never played them. I really don't see why in this dream game they couldn't come up with something more original.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Locit wrote:
Segaholic2 wrote:No way, Sonic 3D Blast Saturn had the best special stages
They also had the best music of any special stage ever.
I'm telling you, Richard Jacques is a freaking genuis.

And everyone complaining about bad special stages probably hasn't played Sonic 360, the Mach stages are shit.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Locit wrote: They also had the best music of any special stage ever.
Really? I guess I still prefer the music from S3&K.

I thought about something nice. A full 3D version of the Sonic 1 special stage. With the jewels, and (R)s, and bumpers, and UPs and DOWNs, and spinning like crazy! No homing attack allowed.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Opa-Opa wrote:I thought about something nice. A full 3D version of the Sonic 1 special stage. With the jewels, and (R)s, and bumpers, and UPs and DOWNs, and spinning like crazy! No homing attack allowed.
Sounds like suicide waiting to happen.

Anon

Post by Anon »

So you basically want another version of Sonic Jam? ...hell, sounds like a good idea to me. Just throw in Sonic CD and we have a deal.
jenkins wrote:We all agreed in a poll that Chaotix had the best special stages
I never did like Chaotix's special stages. I was more fond of the ones from Sonic 3D Saturn (damn you PC version!) and Sonic CD.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Anon wrote:I was more fond of the ones from Sonic 3D Saturn (damn you PC version!)
I'm going to my grave without experiencing those. I hate change.