"real" Simpsons Movie Trailer

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I saw the movie today. My main interest was seeing how the animation turns out, it's pretty obvious that the plot wasn't gonna be anything special. Sadly, the animation wasn't much more than a load of shadows on characters with the odd awesome bit here and there.

I confess i didn't really laugh that much, but i did smile often. I didn't feel any of the jokes really fell flat, just they weren't lol quality.
The movie actually takes a incredibly weird turn for a second where She leaves a video for Homer telling him she's left to go back to Springfield. It sounds incredibly serious and it's just a weird moment.
I felt this was one of the best scenes in the film, along with the epiphany scene. Also, did you not happen to notice that Marge was leaving Homer? I figured it was pretty obvious. I mean, sure it's happened plenty of times in the series, but it was much more dramatic (outside of season 1) here than before.

Overall, i consider it a decent film. It doesn't really deserve any awards, but it is pretty rad seeing it all on a big screen. The plot, although not that great, could only appear in a movie and could of been far, far worse. If you been watching the recent series, you will enjoy this movie far more though, as you'll be more familiar with the style presented here.

Is it also worth pointing out that Maggie seems to have finally said her first word in front of the rest of the family?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It was decent. A B, I guess if you want to give it a grade. It was really more "Homer: The Movie" than anything else, though.

What word did Maggie say? I can't remember.

shadowman

Post by shadowman »

I think she said sequel.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I didn't think it perfect either, not did I think it a disaster. I wasn't expecting writings in the veins of eariler Simpsons episodes, though the movie at least up the ante and gave some life to the Simpsons characters (it's nice to see Lisa in her earlier season mode with her forceful views not as patronizing as she usually does, and Ned tolerated to his earlier roles then the strict bible thumper they've done in recent seasons).

Some gags were more funnier then others, but I can vouch and say I did enjoy Marge's tear-jerking scene with the wedding video. Okay, so the Simpsons did the marital issues so many times, but it's probably the best scene in the entire film.

It could have been much worse, so thankfully, it wasn't. It's just not perfect, though I never expected it to be.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I agree with Rlan that the Marge tear-jerker scene was awkward, but overall I agree with Popcorn. It made me laugh far more than any episode I've seen in about 6 years, and I stopped watching the show reruns and all about 3 years ago.l

The theater I was in laughed quite a bit and there were some great moments I'm sure I'll be quoting all week. Sure the plot was retarded, but that is what happens when a show has been on the air almost 20 years and usually has a plot that can be wrapped up in 21 minutes.

I went in with no hope whatsoever even with the good reviews I had been hearing. I just sorta assumed those reviews were by the people that still like the show. I was pleasantly surprised.

I loved the Clogger ad.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I think it would've been funny if the head of the EPA turned out to be Sideshow Bob in disguise, but that's just me.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh man, that would've been totally freaking awesome.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I enjoyed it! Even the serious parts with Marge worked for me. Actually, the "seriousness" with which the film handled the Simpson family's relationships with one another was what really made the film work for me... it reminded me of the tone of the show in it's heyday, and about why I care about these characters more than I'll ever be able to care about anyone on Family Guy.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Actually, wasn't it originally planned for Sideshow Bob to appear in the first place? I think his voice actor was in at least.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Grammar said he'd recorded some lines for Bob, so I guess they just got cut somewhere along the way.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Esrever wrote:Grammar said he'd recorded some lines for Bob, so I guess they just got cut somewhere along the way.
You know, I'd never thought I'd be able to do this, but: *Grammer.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

I, like many others, was mainly disapointed by the very small section of screentime devoted to the shows major characters other than the Simpson family (and Ned Flanders). I mean really, they gave Cletus atleast twice as many lines as Mr. Burns! I think they could rather easily have worked either Burns or Sideshow Bob into the plot with an antagonistic role, had they only wanted.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'm not really torn up on the lack of lines from all the supporting characters. The movie was going to be enough of a fan orgy as it was, at least they didn't sacrifice the focal point of the movie to tie stuff like that in. That was one fear I had, another was the fact that Green Day was "guest starring". It's a movie. You don't have guest stars. Made better by the fact that they were just there doing a concert instead of getting involved with the characters and solving all their problems for them at the climax of the plot. Made even better by the fact they died relatively quickly.

And I also liked the sentimental scenes. The show has been sorely lacking those ever since James L. Brooks left. You could see his fingerprints on this one, and in a good way. And it isn't weird in the slightest, some of the best early episodes went for the heartstrings. It is weird for anyone who's only seen the post-season 8-or-so episodes which I feel have just plain become unwatchable.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I saw it finally and was pretty satisfied. I was especially pleased with how they handled Ned- he was a lot more like the Ned from seasons 3-9, goody goody, but not completely oblivious to everything around him. Plus his zing at Rod (Todd?) at the end was brilliant. I also really enjoyed the crowd based humor that hasn't been seen in a long time, such as the church-bar patron switch.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

God, that gag had me dying.