Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Enerjak... you know, maybe it's because he first appeared when I was in my early teens and hearing someone say "masturbation" would make me laugh, but I've never been able to take the name "Enerjak" seriously.

On the subject of villains, I was glad that they got rid of Mammoth Mogul (the Apocalypse of Archie Sonic), but now I hear that he's back in the latest issue. What the hell?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Mogul is Ian Flynn's favorite villain, so... he's back. He's been back for quite some time now actually, a few issues after Ian came aboard.

Comparing him to Apocalypse however is giving Mogul far too much credit.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Maybe. I have a pretty low opinion of Apocalypse as it is (though I still consider Mr. Sinister to be the single most irritating villain in any franchise).

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Mogul isn't Apocalypse. He is Vandal Savage.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Blatantly so.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

... I never heard of Vandal Savage. Which is why Wikipedia is my friend.

And, having read only a few sentences on the character, I have to say "holy fuck that's lame". Then again, I never liked Mogul to begin with, so it just makes me dislike him more.

Vector

Post by Vector »

Incidentally, what's the deal with Finitevus, Archie's own ripoff of Zachary?
He was originally a tech/magic redesign of Dmitri (Dub designed him, and at first put references to StC in the comic, so maybe the Dr. Zachary similarity is intentional?) but Ian took over and wrote him as a new character, and so far he's been a plot device to unite a bunch of lamer villains, up the villain to hero ratio, and get rid of some bad plots left over by Ken Penders (Sonic/Fiona, Evil Sonic).

Reading that article (Scandal Savage? LOL) I think comparing him to even Mogul (LAME) is giving Vandal Savage (LAME) too much credit. The only major similarity seems to be immortality since prehistory, though I don't read Archie so who knows? Immortal ancient person isn't exactly that unique that it warrants constant comparisons.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

I can see the Savage comparison, since Mogul has supposedly been important to Archieverse's history (though I can't remember any real examples of him being important- last I remember, he was dethroned by Cave-echidnas and neanderthal hedgehogs and then just kind of moped for a few thousand years). To put things into perspective, my comparison of Mogul to Apocalypse was because:

1. Both seem to spend an unusual amount of their time giving speeches that glorify themselves, and comparatively little time backing it up.
2. Neither has ever really done much to convince me that they're as powerful as they claim.
3. In fact, neither has really done much that amounts to anything.
4. Despite their supposed power, they constantly get their asses kicked by "mere mortals," sometimes in the dumbest of ways, and then run away until the plot demands another hollow threat. Yeah, you can say "well, the good guys need to win," but that only goes so far.
5. Both look like garbage.

As for Finitevus, I guess I would've bought him more easily as a redesigned Dimitri than as his own character. Right now, he seems pretty generic. Hell, he feels like a Dimitri clone.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I really think that putting Vandal Savage under Mogul is going a bit too far.

Plus, they are a more similar than that. Their whole backstories are similar, they dress elegant and they have the same vision of the world. Mogul seems to be pretty much like Vandal. The main difference being that Vandal actually has good stories.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yeah, Mogul is just really lame…but heroes need some lame villains, is like a break for them, even Batman would retire if every villain he fought was like the Joker…

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

I occasionally had dreams about the story in issue #56 of Archies Sonic comic. That was probably the only time Mogul could back up his self-promotion, at least before he was encased in the Master Emerald. I started reading at issue #53 and I stopped reading the comic after the 150th issue. Typical that they would get a better writer sometime afterwards.