Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

Could an SatAM/Archie character work in a Sonic game?

Post by cjmcray »

Personally, I hate the Archie/SatAM characters. They are all so out of place next to Sonic, Tails and the like.

Despite that, the characters remain popular to most of the Sonic community, and have been since 1993.

Could an Archie/SatAM character theroetically work in a Sonic game?

It would never happen, of course, but for some reason, the thought has come to mind, and i've been wondering how it could hypothetically work.

Obviously, the characters would need a MAJOR overhaul to work in the "real" Sonic world.

Let's start with the most popular SatAM/Archie character, Princess Sally.

First off, Sonic doesn't need a girlfriend. He's always running, and full of energy. the closest thing Sonic will ever have to a girlfriend is Amy Rose, who isn't even really a girlfriend at all, moreso a creepy stalker whom he constanlty has to rescue.

So, the girlfriend status would be the first to go.

Second, the "Princess" motif.

Princesses don't work in the Sonic world. And so far, the only Princesses that have been in the canon Sonic world have all been human. (Sara and Elise) An animal princess is a pretty goofy idea when you think about it anyway.

Also, all Sonic characters with the exception of Tails and Amy have the animal they are based off as their last name. Charmy Bee. Sonic Hedgehog. Knuckles Echinda. Cream Rabbit. Rouge Bat.

Therefore, her name in the Sonic world would simply be "Sally the Squirrel"

Next, is her backstory. The whole Kingdom of Acorns thing has to go.
So Sally should just be a new friend who justs shows up, ala Cream.
This would make her less bossy, and a heckuva lot more likable than in the SatAM/Archie universe.

Another change would be the fact that she isn't the focus on the storylines. In SatAM/Archie, she was always the lead character.
For once, Sally is a side-character, in storylines that are truly Sonic centered.

The biggest change of all- her design. All Sonic females tend to wear clothes.

Basically, the resdeign would give her an outfit. Perhaps a dress of some sort. "stick" arms and legs like the rest of the Sonic crew. Blue and brown are horrible color combinations. All Sonic characters seem to have color patterns that really blend together. So, no blue suit. Since all Sonic characters seem to be a different color, I think she can stay brown, since there isn't currently a brown Sonic character. She would need gloves too. I was thinking maybe some fingerless ones.

Her head would need to cahgne too, she'd need Sonic-like eyes and nose and such. Basically, her head would look somewhat like Cream the Rabbit.

Lastly, the hair. Sonic females do not have hair. They simply brush their fur (or quills, in Amy's case) to give the illusion of hair. I'm not really sure what Sally would do in this situtation. The boots could stay, but would need some revamping a bit, like Sonic's shoes were in SA. And, she would need the little sock thing sticking out at the top of the shoes, like all other Sonic characters.

Last last last, would be her personality. No bossiness. no emo-ness. She would either be grumpy, or happy and energetic. You choose.

Voila! Sally's been Sonic Team-ized.

The only thing she lacks is a signature move. Tails can fly, Sonic can run, Amy's got her hammer, Rouge can kick and sneak, what exactly would Sally do?

Personally, I can't stand the character, but with all of these changes, do you think it's possible for her to work in a game? And be likable?

Just a thought.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Sally's probably the Archie character LEAST suitable to the Sonic games--I think someone like Rotor (who could simply be a walrus with a knack for gadgets, maybe a buddy for Tails) would work better in my opinion.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I will agree with some points, such as Sally needing a better outfit (parents would form mobs if they realized that Sally was bare-chested, while I suppose GG! would secretly be wishing she was human solely because she shows tit) and that she would need a personality overhaul to work in the series... but I dunno, it's possible to work the princess thing in there somehow (a fallen princess working behind the scenes, perhaps, like Zelda/Shiek), and you really don't have to tack something as cheesy as "the Squirrel" onto there whilst dropping "Acorn" - actually, I'd say having an actual name would be BETTER than that, solely because it'd be less cheesy (and let's face it, it's something the games need to address).

Hair - I don't think it's that big a deal. Adds a little flair, I guess. That and I think she'd look hella weird without it, having grown used to it.

As for Sally's ability... sniper. I dunno, why not? Give her an actual rifle (or some laser rifle BS if need be) and she could have a valid excuse to go sniping things off, unlike Tails with his awful bomb-sniping mechanic.

Anyway some of the villains might work in the series... They, too, would need some major overhauls, but some of the concepts are nice, at any rate. Like, say, Ixis Naugus. Make him less fat, maybe give him a more oriental flare, and he's gone from somewhat goofy (Eggman's territory) to flat-out badass evil sorcerer bent on doing something or another. And he wouldn't even have to be related to Shadow, unlike every other badguy that's entered the scene since <i>SA2</i>. (Except Eggman Nega, I guess. Gmel doesn't count, since he was basically Emerl, who was, indeed, related to Shadow.)

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Many people seem to think that Mina could fit in right easily in the games. It mostly stems from her design which is relatively different that the usual Archie cast and that she resembles the game's version Sonic's multicolored animal friends. Plus she is an unusual cartoon animal--a mongoose.

But anyway, the hell with the Archie/SatAm characters, just bring the South Island friends back in the games.

Though I do have to admit that I like Bunnie's concept more than Cream.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I liked the show and its characters.
If they have to be changed into something they're not, I wouldn't bother bringing them back.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I agree with CM August. If the SatAM characters are ever revived, let it borrow more from the concept of the show than that of the games. That includes retaining that iteration's Sonic and Robotnik personalities and looks, the concept of roboticization, the overall mood of the show, etc. etc.

They really have no business in trying to fit themselves into the game storyline. If they did that, they really wouldn't be Sally or Antoine or whatever anymore, but just new characters with the same name in the same way the SatAM Sonic is another character with the same name.
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WW

Post by WW »

Hell no. That's the last thing this series needs.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'd have to agree. Really—more characters?

And the thing is, when you tweak her appearance, change her role and alter her personal, is she even the same character anymore?

And of course she couldn't stay brown. All female characters need to be some variant of purple or pink.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Fuck no. I hated the entire cast of SatAM. Princess Sally was annoying, Rotor was just a doofy version of Tails, Antoinne was just ridiculous.

OK, Bunnie had her moments.

And I don't care to attempt to recall all the other ridiculous furries they came up with after that.

Hell, they weren't even drawn in the same style as Sonic, which always made the entire series feel off. And the "original" characters usually had such big heads compared to their bodies that it looked like they were going to snap off.
And of course she couldn't stay brown. All female characters need to be some variant of purple or pink.
Doesn't that make Big and Espio girls, come to think of it?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It wouldn't matter either way. There are so many goddamn characters now no one would know the difference.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Let's ask Sega for a Knuckles game based on the Archie series!

Then we can take our pick of about three hundred Echidnas all with more or less similar backgrounds, personalities, and abilities, and all of them coming with names that sound like they were taken from Frank Herbert's trash can.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

No they wouldn't, they'd only fit in a 2D sidescroller Sonic, and Lord knows they don't make enough of those anymore.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

No, unless Sonic games focused in showing cute female furries almost naked….

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Black Rook wrote:Let's ask Sega for a Knuckles game based on the Archie series!

Then we can take our pick of about three hundred Echidnas all with more or less similar backgrounds, personalities, and abilities, and all of them coming with names that sound like they were taken from Frank Herbert's trash can.
Erg! No way. It would be like Shadow the Hedgehog all over again.

I guess Bunnie would be the easier and most interesting, better than any stupid Cream. She's like a bunnygirl Megaman, and could be really nice, like E-102 was. (note: E-102, not those half-assed walkers from SA2)

Antoine is a bit of a freak and I ended up liking the guy, but he doesn't fit anywhere in the Sonic universe, not even in Archie.

All the other characters can be easily replaced by real Sonic characters. You know: Rotor = Tails, Sally = Amy, etc. The rest isn't even worth mentioning.

But if you ask me an Archie based Sonic game would please a lot of those furry fans, but it would be just like giving up on the series, not that nowadays would be such a big loss.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Zeta wrote:
Doesn't that make Big and Espio girls, come to think of it?
Everyone knows Espio is gay. I mean, that tornado attack? Forget about it, sister!

KitsuneDarkStalker

1. Remake the original Metal Gear in 3D.

2. Change the location to Knothole Village and around Knothole Village.

3. Change Snake to Bunnie and the Genome Soldiers to Badniks.

4. Playtest...wait, this is a Sonic Team game. There is no step 4.

Release.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Call me crazy, but I don't have any issues with Sonic Team making even more characters, provided that the games they appear in are enjoyable, well-planned, 2-dimensional platformers. As long as you have a good game to play in, the number and variety of characters doesn't really matter to me.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

You're crazy!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Yeah, like one of them "fox"-thingers.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

A dirty furry?

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Zeta wrote:Rotor was just a doofy version of Tails
Tails being a mechanic wasn't exactly common knowledge back then. Not to mention that it doesn't make much sense even now, a character who flies under his own power needing a plane? If anything, the problem with Rotor is the redunancy of both him & Chuck serving the role of the tech head.

& considering that everything that is post-DC Sonic pretty much sucks major horse shit, characters that are "horribly out of place" might be a step up at this point.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

No it won't, because too many characters is one of the problems.

KitsuneDarkStalker

A lot of people belive hell is a lake of fire. Hell is actually aspecialversion of Sonic Heroes where instead of switching beween three characters, you switch between all the Sonic universe characters, all the SatAM characters, and all the fan characters.

Never go to Hell.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

KitsuneDarkStalker wrote:A lot of people belive hell is a lake of fire. Hell is actually aspecialversion of Sonic Heroes where instead of switching beween three characters, you switch between all the Sonic universe characters, all the SatAM characters, and all the fan characters.

Never go to Hell.
Plus, all the characters talk while you're playing.

Anon

Post by Anon »

I can see Bunnie and possibly Dimitri working in a Sonic game — and having a purpose aside from being a rehash of another character — but that's just about it. (I'd mention some StC characters, but I'm not too familiar with the series.) Not that I'd really care to see them at all, because there's too many extras in the cast to begin with.
KitsuneDarkStalker wrote:Hell is actually aspecialversion of Sonic Heroes where instead of switching beween three characters, you switch between all the Sonic universe characters, all the SatAM characters, and all the fan characters.
Replace "SatAM" with "ArchieSonic", and "fan characters" with "the twenty-five worst fan characters on the face of the planet". Not that there's that much of a difference to begin with.