Son of a sandworm!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Son of a sandworm!

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's official: as of the recent <i>FFVI</i> GBA port, sandworms are now the new submariners. Square Enix has dictated it and so shall it be law.

Makes me wonder how the "self-help booklet" scene was handled.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Why was it re-translated in the first place? The new version doesn't appear to be any more accurate than the old one. It's like they're being dicks just for the hell of it.

Damnit, Square Enix. You don't fuck with a classic.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Acutally, they retranslated the spells so they are consistant with the series today(i.e. Fire 2 is Fira and Scan is Libra), and retranslated certain enemies such as Doomgaze who is now Deathgaze in this version. Some of the retranslation possible has to do with correctly labeling the enemies that were either mis-translated like the Tonberries(Pugs in the original SNES version) or censorship like the Doom/Deathgaze example. I'm guessing Maduin in now Mael Duin and Siren is butt-naked in this version. The Opera scene also has different lyrics that fit with the music and supposedly sound more like voices than whatever was playing in the SNES/PS1 versions.

Also, they seemed to fix some of the game-breaking glitches such as the Vanish+Doom and Vanish+X-Zone glitches. I'm assuming Relm's Sketch glitch is also fixed.

I haven't played the game, just saw some screenshots and heard some accounts from people who played the game. So I can't really judge if they "OMGWTF!" they screwed up the game--well dialogue-wise at least. The only thing so far I can see being screwed up in the music which is probably taken a big hit due to the GBA inferior sound hardware. Pity, since the FF6 OST has some of the best music in the whole FF series.

Nevertheless, I will obtain FFVIa seeing that it's my favorite FF game and I'm curious to these changes. :-)

Oh and I will say that they did a great job on the FFVa localization. The FFV localization on the PS1 was down right terrible.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Ngangbius wrote:Acutally, they retranslated the spells so they are consistant with the series today(i.e. Fire 2 is Fira and Scan is Libra
Wait, what? Scan is Libra in the original version? Scan? Interesting.

Well, while I enjoy the submariner a bit more then sandworm, I'm still going to dish out money on a copy of my own, if not because FF6 is just that good of a game to me.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

let me guess, Meteo has a new name? i loved that speel in FF IV....

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Neo Yi wrote:Wait, what? Scan is Libra in the original version?
No, the other way around. It used to be called Scan, and now it's called Libra, to be consistent with current FF's.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Delphine wrote:No, the other way around. It used to be called Scan, and now it's called Libra, to be consistent with current FF's.
Current as in FF11 or 12? I haven't played either of these since the last FF game I played was FFX-2. Interesting. I think I perfer scan since unless there's like some deep meaning behind "libra", I have no clue how that fits with a main character scanning an enemy's stat.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I don't know if it's deep, but I guess:

libra>liber (as in library)>book>information>information about the enemy

My appologies if you already saw this connection.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

MiraiTails wrote:I don't know if it's deep, but I guess:

libra>liber (as in library)>book>information>information about the enemy

My appologies if you already saw this connection.

Oh, well, that makes sense. I suppose I was thinking of a different Libra. You know, the astrology symbol or something since I figured Square had some deep meaning behind it since that's pretty much one of the trademarks they do often.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Well, libra means "scales", so I suppose the idea is that you're weighing the enemy?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Perhaps. It occurs to me that getting stats is also like "reading" the enemy, hence the book connection. And now I feel like I've spent far too much time on this. I don't even play FF games.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY NERDY.

I used to fap to Rydia's portrait in FF2. ._.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

The only FF games i've played are FF7 and FF8. I really enjoy the stories and characters (particularly FF8's) but the battle system where you hit, wait to get hit, and hit again is incredibly frustrating, and keeps me from enjoying (and being able to progress through) a game I could otherwise really grow to love. (the farthest I got in FF8 was when you switched to this other guy in a france-like jazz bar, where he's trying to meet a lady. I barely got that far in FF7.)

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That's called turn based combat by the way. I can't really stand it either, don't flame me!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, maybe I'm condoning the wrong things here, but I decided "screw the reviews" (very few are out yet, see), "I'm going to play <i>FFVI</i> one way or another" and just bought the thing. Since then I've gotten farther in it than I've ever gotten on a SNES emulator, but I'll wager I'm still barely into it. (For the record: on an emu, I usually stopped soon after escaping Figaro Castle for whatever reason. On the GBA version, I'm now at a part where the game branches off into three separate parts - one with Locke, one with Sabin, and one with Terra, Edgar and Banon - finished Locke, working on Sabin, haven't touched the last one there.)

Of course, I'd probably be much farther if the fates had not been kind enough that day to allow me to find a copy of the first <i>Phoenix Wright</i> that day as well. Which is probably why I bought <i>FFVI</i>, actually - I'd been considering it, but when factoring in how hard it is to find <i>PW</i>, and that I was NOT going to pass that up, putting down an extra $30 for more gaming goodness didn't seem like a bad idea. (It probably was, but I was never good with money.)

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Any feedback? How does it compare to the SNES version?

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

The GBA version has better acoustic guitar, it's been multisampled and has string scratch and everything. Better strings too.

But the sound is vastly inferior due to the lower number of PCM channels that have to be compensated with the shitty Z80 sound chip (ie: the original GB.GBC sound chip).

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Hah, I already got the sountrack. I was more worried about the battle graphics; I saw a video of the Kefka battle on YouTube, and the spells were slowed to abysmal speeds. Is this the case?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

There is slowdown, yes. It's limited to when too much is going on at once, though - like, when things are scrolling around in the background and you're casting one or two spells with multiple special effects. It's not too bad, all things considered, but it is there and it must be noted, since you asked.

That said, this is my first time through <i>Final Fantasy VI</i> so I can't compare it much to things, see.