Sonicthehedgehogmovie.com domain name purchased.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

Sonicthehedgehogmovie.com domain name purchased.

Post by cjmcray »

Probably by a random fan, by the crude design of the site.

However, FOX purchased the domain Simpsonsmovie.com, and now we're getting a Simpsons film.

Either way, any proposed Sonic film will probably be a wreck.

There's just no way Sonic can be done justice on the big-screen without it either being

a) No action, just mindless slapstick and subtle inneundo jokes (If Dreamworks got the rights, that is.)

b) Archie/SatAM based. *shudder*

c) An 'extreme' direct-to-DVD musical where everyone rides magic skateboards and has card battles with one another.

4) done by an uptight studio afraid of offending mothers, so it tones down the action, by having all the robots throw pies.

walnuts) Naka's proposed Sonic X movie

As much as I think a Sonic movie would be horrible, I still want to see it happen, mainly becuase it's been a childhood dream of mine.

The way i'd like to see it is a CGI trilogy, (by the people behind Sonic2k6/Shadow's cutscenes) with Sonic/Tails ongoing journey to acquire all seven chaos emeralds, and in each film, facing a new supporting villian (Eggman being the main villian in every film, of course)
Movie 1 being just Eggman, movie 2 being Shadow and Rouge, and movie 3 going all-out with Knuckles, Chaos, Metal Sonic and Fang.
Also, the characters would be in their classic segasonic looks in flashbacks, but in SA looks the rest of the time.
Last edited by cjmcray on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 am, edited 9 times in total.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Despite all very obvious misgivings, Sonic DOES look awfully good in CGI.

Madamluna

Post by Madamluna »

What about the Sonic OVA (not X)? I thought that was really good, lighthearted, fun and slapsticky while still managing to look pretty nice. The backgrounds were gorgeous, especially in the Land of Darkness and Eggland/Robotropolis/whatever they called it.

But the idea that they may be making a NEW Sonic movie sort of terrifies me. What if it's as faithful as possible to the new games, with plot devices ripped from DBZ, massive amounts of furry angst, and Shadow driving a car and carrying guns? Actually, I would sort of like for that to get made and released, and then critically panned.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I thought the Sonic OVA was.. well, terrible. As a movie, I mean.

As a two-part direct-to-DVD special, it was okay. But it defintely does not deserve the title 'Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie' the voices are horrible, the animation, while decent, defintely wasn't feature-quality, either. the Metal sonic fight was cool, but it got a little comedic (Knuckles acting as a whack-a-mole, Tails groping Sara, Eggman dressed as a Groom) and it kinda took away from the coolness of the battle.

I always wanted a huge, blockbuster, big-budget Sonic film that directly follows the games.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

That nutter Richard Kuta is at it again?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

The registrant is some guy named Bob Repas in Elyria, Ohio. Unless they did that on purpose so no one would know it was for real, it's just some fan.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

Perhaps said crazed fan is making a movie himself.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I believe Bob Repas is a guy who did a lot of technical things on Ken Penders' website.

WW

Post by WW »

That's right, that's why that name sounded familiar. He's a shithead to boot.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Oh, really? Then maybe it is real.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Maybe if Peter Jackson directed it we would be saved; or maybe that Bay guy who makes movies based entirely on special effects.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

If Peter Jackson directed it, it'd be 17 hours long and filled with thousands of closeups of everyones furry faces.

Other than that it might be good.

If this was real though, why would one guy register the domain name and not his company?

Grant

Post by Grant »

Counting the number of projects Ken Penders has promised and never fulfilled is counting to infinity.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

The only script-oriented Sonic game plots I've liked are SA1 and SA2-kinda. They both had their share of plotholes, and SA2 lost points because it shot level variety in the mouth when they took the cast into space two-thirds of the way in.

If the guy who it says bought it really bought it, it might be more of an Archie-oriented thing. Which upsets me. The only reason I ever liked the SatAM/Archie universe is because they took a game which had only about 150% more plot than Frogger, and wove this intricately dark plotline that incorporated almost every nuance from the first two games into a believable place.

But SatAM died, and when canon Sonic games got scarce, they really treated the saga like it was over with (and maybe they thought it really was; I did at one point) and just spun it into a stereotypically complicated comic book plot. With a multiple-file-cabinet-dosier of minor characters, dead characters, reborn characters, parallel universe characters, reborn parallel universe zombie characters, and what-the-fuck cetera. When all we were left with after S&K was Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman and maybe Chaotix and Ray. Depends how you look at it.

Now that Sonic Team has actually added scripted dialogue, there's no need for that kind of garbage. Especially when they're doing it themselves. Now we've got Tikal, Chaos, Shadow, Blaze, Cream, Cheese, Silver, Rouge, Jet, Storm, Wave, Lumina, Void, Mephiles... Maybe I even missed a few. I don't care. The whole Knothole arc is too archiac and different to matter anymore.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

If Ken was involved in a Sonic film that was actually being produced, I don't think it would be his friend Bob that would be buying the domain name.

Vector

Post by Vector »

Well I finally registered here (I have lots of registration inertia).

At this point (after firing) the Ken Penders movie (which he's been promising for ages) can be considered a fan movie and it can be taken slightly more seriously than Richard Kuta's Sonic movie. He's been supposedly showing concepts to Sega of America reps but I doubt it's going to go further than that.

Notes on the domain:

Created on..............: Sun, Jan 05, 2003
Expires on..............: Tue, Jan 05, 2016

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

A Sonic movie would be good only if it were loosely based on game events. Similar to the way the Sonic OVA took concepts mostly from Sonic CD (Metal Sonic, going fast enough to trigger warps) and wove a completely different story using them. For instance, if a movie was made that was loosely based on SA2, I'd expect to see Shadow, Gerald and the Ark, but different plot points linking it all together (and better dialouge, too). Obviously the main thing that would need changing is the role the other characters play; We can't have Tails, Knuckles or Rouge stealing screen time from Sonic, Shadow or Eggman, the main characters in the story (in fact Rouge could probably be done away with altogether).

The problem we get when they try and stick too close to the games is that the same plot holes are carried over, but with an entirely new storyline based on a similar string of events, we could get something that would not only be new even to people who've already played the game, but perhaps it would be more solid in presentation as well.

Assuming Sega or the comic guy supposedly behind it don't fuck the whole thing up, of course.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Sonic OVA had a nice soundtrack, but it was IMO not that great. I don't think a Sonic movie could EVER be great, especially if it's done by the X Team.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

If Bandai did a decent 3D Digimon movie, why Sega cant do a decent Sonic movie in 3D?, the CG and the music is the only good thing of the new Sonic games, so I don’t see the freaking problem…

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Think on the bright side: at least it wouldn't be riddled with gameplay bugs.

(Though it may still have a wonky camera...)

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Sega can't even seem to create decent Sonic games (or stories for their games) anymore, I almost think a Sonic movie written by Ken Penders or some other comic writer guy would write a better movie than having the people at Sega handle it themselves. As a matter of fact, since a movie based on the games is almost destined to suck if the recent game stories are any indication, I'd rather have the movie be based on and close the doors of the story of the Sonic Saturday Morning Cartoon.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Sega can't even seem to create decent Sonic games (or stories for their games) anymore, I almost think a Sonic movie written by Ken Penders or some other comic writer guy would write a better movie than having the people at Sega handle it themselves. As a matter of fact, since a movie based on the games is almost destined to suck if the recent game stories are any indication, I'd rather have the movie be based on and close the doors of the story of the Sonic Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Dude, that actually makes a lot of sense. Kudos.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Sega can't even seem to create decent Sonic games (or stories for their games) anymore, I almost think a Sonic movie written by Ken Penders or some other comic writer guy would write a better movie than having the people at Sega handle it themselves.
You haven't heard about the stories Ken managed to get published before Archie fired him, have you?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

I bought the comics and stopped sometime during the Sonic Adventure adaptation, which is like in the 70s. If there's one complaint I remember having against Ken, it's the way he writes dialogue. Oftentimes, it sounds fake. I don't know if his writing got better or worse after that. Ideally, if a Sonic movie was based on the Saturday morning cartoon, then they'd get the writers from that show back.

Besides, the only cartoon that featured a character named Sonic the Hedgehog in it with passable writing was the Saturday Morning Cartoon anyway.

WW

Post by WW »

Certainly. Because terms like "Let's buzz CUZ" and "Time to juice and jam!", whatever the HELL that means is completely awesome. Not to mention what a hilarious name Ro"butt"nik is.