Sonicthehedgehogmovie.com domain name purchased.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Fuck that. Sonic SATAM was just an excuse for furries to be introduced to angst and angsty people to be turned into furries.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I thought there was an appropriate amount of angst, I think you're thinking of Shadow the Hedgehog or the Archie Sonic comic book or something.

You're over exaggerating the amount of angst in that show. I didn't think the Saturday Morning Cartoon was great, but in any case, it felt to me like the writers were actually trying to write a decent story with a decent amount of chemistry between the characters. I don't get that kind of impression from any other cartoon featuring a Sonic the Hedgehog in it. And, even with the angst, it never felt to me like angst for the sake of angst, and even then it still managed to be funnier than the AoSTH cartoon at times.

If I were to throw some complaints at SatAM, it would be that I realized that Sally was more of a bitch than I remembered, the obvious messages at the end of most episodes (we got to work together, not be deceiving eachother! Even though I'm part robot, I still have a heart, etc.), and the crappy episodes that are squeezed in from time to time. But these complaints are pretty much true for almost every other cartoon at the time, so meh.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'd say dramatic is a better description. There were no brooding internal monologues and only light internal conflicts.
Poison Eggroll wrote:If I were to throw some complaints at SatAM, it would be that I realized that Sally was more of a bitch than I remembered
I had the exact opposite experience. When I was a kid I thought Sally was an uptight little priss, but when I revisited the show I had no idea why. She nagged Sonic a bit, but it was usually understandable because Sonic was pretty immature. I actually found him more annoying at time. Even so, she was never overly critical of him and I can't recall a time she even really got mad.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Poison Eggroll wrote:I bought the comics and stopped sometime during the Sonic Adventure adaptation, which is like in the 70s. If there's one complaint I remember having against Ken, it's the way he writes dialogue. Oftentimes, it sounds fake. I don't know if his writing got better or worse after that.
Lucky, you bailed out right as the worst began to ramp up. Around #124 (or maybe a little before or after, it flucuated between decent and miserable a lot) Ken's writing and storytelling became worse than abysmal as did the management incompetence. After #150, i'd finally had enough. Since then i've relied on Dan Drazen's reviews to get an idea of what they've been up to. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), Archie gave Penders the righteous boot he deserved at the tail end of a loooooong string of some of his most vile work ever. You want hammy dialouge, go check out what Issac the gold E-102 recolor has to say.

If the comic's really going to become more like the game plots, I might get back into it someday assuming it's back to being tolerable. We'll see following whatever twist they're overhyping for #175.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

You know, SatAM haters just hate because they think that if any cartoon with a storyline of that depth is either:

A. Too serious for anthro characters.

or

B. Too "furry" for mainstream.

I like the SatAM show and comics. I think that while not having the most epic story ever, and having it's share of flaws, you can at least say the writers tried, and that's more than you can say for SEGA as of late.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

IMO, I think Sonic X would've been good if 4Kids hadn't raped it horribly--that show was about as close to the games as any of the cartoons got.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Sonic X turned the snazzy-looking Tornado into a genric jet.

So many human characters, with hardly any focus on actual characters like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy.

An overabundance of characters giving a wink/thumbs up. (cheesy as hell)

Animation quality steadily declining after episode 9

mundane storylines.

Sonic X was not that excellent to begin with. 4Kids just managed to find a way to make it 50 times worse.

However, I still want to buy one of the Japanese DVDs of it, if only to hear the original japanese score, and not have the inspid 4Kids voices.

Oh, and the covers of the DVDs look pretty spiffy, too.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, okay, it wasn't PERFECT, but at least the JPN version doesn't subject the viewer to horrible ear-rape.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

<a href=http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/254/>I though this'd be posted here by now,</a> but parts of it are supposedly baseless so I wouldn't look into it.

Here's a message Kuta supposedly recieved from SoA:
Hi Rich,

I just returned from Japan and we did discussed the Sonic movie, either for theatrical release or straight to DVD. Sega Japan is considering several options on how to develop a Sonic movie or new TV show and it's a decision that will not be made quickly. They do feel that a new project should be developed in the West as Sonic is considered a Western property; it's never been that popular in Japan. However, they have placed your idea in the pre-green lit stage until you can submit the details regarding your place in this project.

In order for them to seriously consider a proposal for Sonic, they will need information on you and your group, what experience or background you have, what approach you would take (2-D vs 3-D, storyline, etc.), financials on the production, what financing you have, who would do the production, production timeline, possible voice talent, and any details to give them a complete picture of your group and your expertise.

I realize that's a lot to put together, but they tend to ask for a lot of information and take a long time to make a decision. Good luck!

Regards,

Robert (SoA)
<a href="http://www.mooglecavern.com/mb/index.ph ... 8360">More detail.</a>
Poison Eggroll wrote:I believe Bob Repas is a guy who did a lot of technical things on Ken Penders' website.
<a href="http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:rc ... _en">About him..</a>

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Spazz wrote:<a href=http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/254/>I though this'd be posted here by now,</a> but parts of it are supposedly baseless so I wouldn't look into it.
Yeah, he was going through Sonic Stadium and FUS essentially bragging about his awesome movie deal. Then it turned out the company he was working with made Flash ads or something like that, and it turned out he hadn't actually officially signed a deal with Sega, who at that point was just considering his proposal.

And he somehow got an email from Sega saying "hey don't talk about this stuff until we've signed." Not "YOU BLABBED, DEAL'S OFF," mysteriously.

Also, Kuta can't spell "sequel."

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

New information indicates the film will be CGI Animation and not an emulation of the original SatAM animation.
This would be disappointing if it ever happened, but an understandable cost cutting measure. It would suit the dark environment I guess. Really though, there are styles of flash animation I prefer to CGI.

KitsuneDarkStalker

I really hope it won't be CGI. If they use the SatAM style characters with CGI graphics it will look horrible, and if they use the new style characters, it won't really fit in the SatAM universe.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Guys a sonic motion picture is the LAST thing we need right now. Whether its Satam or whatever the fuck it doesn't matter because it would be of terrible quality and make absolutely no money. Also, Satam is what it is: America's attempt at popularizing sonic the hedgehog with an action series. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a return of those characters other than in comic book form. Good thing too, the designs were absolutely atrocious. So were Sonic X's though. Bleeech. This MIGHT have been an idea to do 7 years ago.

Too furry for mainstream,
Kistune??? There are plenty of television shows and movies that center around "anthro" characters in the mainstream(or was over the hedge not furry enough?). I barely even consider Sonic to be a furry. He's a damn video character, not an alternative niche style of fanart.

Fan characters are the scum of the earth. And frankly, that's what the Satam characters most resemble.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

Honestly, I've fallen out of love for Sonic with everything that's been going on with the series so a movie isn't too exciting for me either, no matter what universe it may be based on. However, if it was to be traditionally animated and by some slim chance the designs would be the retro American, it would be fun, hopefully bringing back memories of childhood. And then realization will come soon after and make me realize nothing will ever be cool again. The series is horrible nowadays as it is and I don't think a movie will make it better or worse.

And I'm surprised there's no Mario midget sex to go along with the Sonic furry transformation.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I think you guys are missing something: If it happens and it sucks, it'll most likely be because an idealistic nincompoop was directing or producing it. All other flaws would be a direct result.

Nevertheless, we've got the complete series coming out on DVD and Archie's comic still has most of the SatAM cast intact. We don't need a movie with those characters, and we definitely don't need Kuta and his grandstanding.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think they should make a Sonic Underground live action movie. That'd be so awesome. Some guys dressed as hedgehogs rocking the guitar trying to save their mom or whatever the story of that show was.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Make it like that Ninja Turtles rock concert thing from like 1990.

WW

Post by WW »

KitsuneDarkStalker

EmeraldGuardian wrote:Honestly, I've fallen out of love for Sonic with everything that's been going on with the series so a movie isn't too exciting for me either, no matter what universe it may be based on. However, if it was to be traditionally animated and by some slim chance the designs would be the retro American, it would be fun, hopefully bringing back memories of childhood.
Exactly. ^_^
EmeraldGuardian wrote: And then realization will come soon after and make me realize nothing will ever be cool again.
Exactly. ._.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Zeta wrote:Fuck that. Sonic SATAM was just an excuse for furries to be introduced to angst and angsty people to be turned into furries.
Radrappy wrote:Fan characters are the scum of the earth. And frankly, that's what the Satam characters most resemble.
Hahaha, oh bless. This rubbish will keep me amused all day.

WW

Post by WW »

I always thought the cast of SatAM looked more like a bunch of Looney Tunes rejects.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Besides today's fan characters are usually crap recolors of the Sega-created cast.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Zeta wrote:Fuck that. Sonic SATAM was just an excuse for furries to be introduced to angst and angsty people to be turned into furries.
Radrappy wrote:Fan characters are the scum of the earth. And frankly, that's what the Satam characters most resemble.
Exactly.

I don't consider Sonic to be a furry, myself, as he doesn't really resemble a hedgehog. Or any animal for that matter, outside of his cat-like ears and circle-black nose.

He's basically just this spiky blue-- thing that wears sneakers and gloves and runs around at incredibly high-speeds and blows up robots and stuff.

SatAM characters look incredibly out of place next to Sonic. It's like he stepped into a Don Bluth cartoon or something.

As for Archie, I just consider it to be just published fanfiction/fanart, since it's not canon and has no ties to Sonic Team or the games. (outside of the obligatory 'adaption issues' which SEGA demands.) I stopped reading around #52.

I used to really like SatAM and Archie when I was little, (the intro to SatAM was as close the series came to having that 'edgy actiony' feel the games had, what with Robotnik going over an animal-filled landscape in a giant airship, then cutting to his dark and dreary labs, while Sonic blasts through it at high-speeds) the series had it's moments, but like Archie, got dramatic at times.

I read Archie, as i mentioned, up to issue 52. I liked it at first, since it
had a good mixture of AoSTH humor with SatAM settings, but as the issues wore on, it got overly dramatic, and full of love triangles.
And that's really ridiclious when it's supposed to be based off a franchise about a talking blue cartoon that beats up robots and hails the title character as having 'attitude' and being 'extreme'

The King of Acorns backstory nauseated me at also, and felt SO
out-of-place and just plain wrong for Sonic the Hedgehog based
comic.

If a SatAM movie ever occurs, I mean.. That.. I just.. No. Just.. NO.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I always thought Tails looked out of place next to Sonic. If you ask me, his pre-Sonic Adventure design fit more with the SatAM crew than he did next to Sonic. It wasn't until Knuckles that the games managed to create a character that felt like a character design that actually belonged as a main character in a Sonic game.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Nack the Weasel PWNS Knuckles.