Goddamnit, Konami.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hah! Then you should definitely try Phoenix Wright. If you haven't already, that is...

I'm working my way through the second game now. The magic is still intact!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I think he said before he wasn't interested in the game simply because it was a port and would rather hunt down the original GBA cart if he was to play it at all.

Of course I'd hope that opinion has changed because it is a very high quality game and the DS specific case I felt was a worthwhile addition, though just with very slightly weaker writing overall.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Really? The DS-exclusive case was my favourite of the bunch! I just enjoyed tackling a case that was comparatively longer and more complex, with so many pages of evidence. I felt like it was the case that really realized the game's potential, even if it wasn't quite as humourous as the others.

In any event GG, even ignoring the bonus case, there's not much reason to track down the GBA version. It's a lot more cumbersome to control without the stylus navigation, and the English language "track" (which was present in the original Japanese GBA game, but not it's sequels) is not as good as the one used in the DS version.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Phoenix Wright is awesome.

Proof of awesome:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/

aso

Post by aso »

Speaking of DS adventure games, has anyone played Touch Detective? I've read a number of reviews claiming that the gameplay is lackluster and that the characters are dull. Something about it still interests me... it might be the graphical style, it might be the character design, it might be the overall feel of oddness... but I'd still like to get an opinion from someone here, if possible, to see if it's worth the cash or not.

KitsuneDarkStalker

With a name like Touch Detective it had better be a dating sim.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

aso wrote:Speaking of DS adventure games, has anyone played Touch Detective? I've read a number of reviews claiming that the gameplay is lackluster and that the characters are dull. Something about it still interests me... it might be the graphical style, it might be the character design, it might be the overall feel of oddness...
It might be the little fella on the boxart that looks like a penis?

And while we're still on the subject of adventure games: <i>Hotel Dusk: Room 215</i> came out over a week ago. Can anyone confirm its awesome-sicinity? The more down-to-earth, black and white 'noir' artwork is quite appealing and a change of pace from the usual offerings.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That was the game I was going on about for paragraphs about five or six posts ago. Wish Room is the Japanese name. :)

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Whoops! Don't know how I missed that.

On the subject of "Goddamnit, Konami", I was only made recently aware that an english translation patch for Policenauts was in progress. If ever there was a property that should be ported to a handheld system...

Arcade

Re: Goddamnit, Konami.

Post by Arcade »

Shadow Hog wrote:The good: <i>Dracula X: Rondo of Blood</i> is FINALLY making it's US debut!
The bad: <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3156904">...on PSP</a>.

I STILL don't have any intention of picking a PSP up, but hey, at least I know that when I do, there'll be a fair amount of nice games to play on it via Capcom's remakes and this one.

Still... I hope to God you're porting the thing to the Wii's VC, Konami. Seriously. I won't say you <b>owe</b> it to us or anything, I just really hope you are - I want to play this game (legally), but I'm not shelling out money for a portable I don't own nor want just to do so.
the PSP is popular in occident, you can emulate Da Genesis in that thing, what else do you want?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'm pretty certain the DS is still more popular than the PSP in the occident, as you put it (wordier than I've seen you post lately, but no problems there).

Oh, and other really, really good, system-selling games, that's what I want. Most of the titles I want on that system are ports and remakes as it is, with a few original titles like <i>Lumines</i> and <i>Exit</i> sprinkled here and there. And maybe <i>Rivals</i> - I think the jury's still out on that one.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yes, thanks to Pokemon and Nintendogs, the DS is highly more successful in Japan than the PSP.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Psxphile wrote:Whoops! Don't know how I missed that.

On the subject of "Goddamnit, Konami", I was only made recently aware that an english translation patch for Policenauts was in progress. If ever there was a property that should be ported to a handheld system...
Yeah. It's been in progress for, like, ever. As much as Hideo Kojima is fond of Policenauts, I wouldn't be surprised if an english port was made for PSP or any other console. But I guess we'll have to wait to listen to those 90s-like bgms with english voices.

At least we've got Snatcher for Sega CD.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Zeta wrote:Yes, thanks to Pokemon and Nintendogs, the DS is highly more successful in Japan than the PSP.
It's actually far less attributed to those titles and far more to Animal Crossing, Brain Training and its successor. Pokemon and Nintendogs didn't really last all that long in the charts, Brain Training still sneaks its way into the top 10 every so often lately and combined they've both sold an obscene amounts of copies. It's a bit ridiculous really.

The overally success of the DS/Lite in Japan is kind of getting stupid now too. Lately I'd say there's been a bit of a drought where triple A titles are concerned and honestly there's not a massive amount in the future either. Despite this though the thing still sells through the roof each week and the combined sales of the Lite and original DS have now outsold (not shipped) the PSP in Japan by over 10 million units.

I'll confess I favour Nintendo systems in general and can't say I'm a huge fan of Sony's approach to the industry...but honestly I don't really think all this recent Nintendo success is that well deserved. Hopefully software production for both the DS and Wii really ramps up over the next year or so, for both third party and first party games.

KitsuneDarkStalker

I favor Nintendo systems because SEGA makes more games for them.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Is that even true anymore?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Has Sega made anything worth playing in the past 5 years anyway?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. Otherwise, nope!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

<i>Panzer Dragoon Orta</i>.

I also think the first <i>Advance</i> was a good title, even if I'm in the minority. Hated <i>SAdv2</i>, though. <i>Rush</i> generally gets the approval of players, too.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Shadow Hog wrote:<i>Panzer Dragoon Orta</i>.
Second'd. I think VF4 was in the last five years. That was enjoyable enough.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

They've published things worth playing.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That was a rhetorical question, you bum fucks.

VF4 was brilliant, but way too demanding. The series has reached a Gran Turismo point of complexity. If you play VF (properly) you play nothing else. I still love it and respect it - I have VF5 and the stick reserved - but I mean I'm never going to play one ever again.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

It is still perplexing how Sega had so much good stuff for Dreamcast and now they have a lot less... or it's more spread out across different systems at least.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Green Gibbon! wrote:That was a rhetorical question, you bum fucks.

VF4 was brilliant, but way too demanding. The series has reached a Gran Turismo point of complexity.
Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have to play for 12 hours just to get your fighter's license.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

So, I have a Playstation 3, and hopefully VF5 will make it more than an interesting conversational piece.