ATHF movie / Ad Campaing gone bad

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Maco70

ATHF movie / Ad Campaing gone bad

Post by Maco70 »

I'm surprised that nobody has a thread about this already. Is it just that this forum is really small/slow or that nobody cares?
Anyway, the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie trailer was posted on the Adult Swim website.
It's also on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZz7oHjWN7Y

The movie was exciting enough, but there is also a publicity campaign that went bad in Boston (I'm sure a lot of you heard about it).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16902707/
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/01/boston ... topstories

Discuss.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I hate that show. Adult Swim plays it way too much and it peaked quite a while ago. It's like beating a dead horse now.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Does saying it peaked a while ago mean that you used to not hate it? I always hated it, but I figure I did not give it a fair chance either.

This movie trailer reminds me of Shmorky's much funnier movie trailer.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I remember catching a glimpse of the show one time, and what I saw was pretty hilarious. I mean, a barbecued watermelon on fire while everyone acts like it's just another day? I laughed for quite a while when I saw that.

Otherwise, I know nothing about the show.

Maco70

Post by Maco70 »

The show is definetly not for everyone, but it has a pretty strong fanbase.
For example, if you are looking for a show with a plot: do not watch Aqua Teen.

Grant

Post by Grant »

If you like watching one joke replayed over and over, Aqua Teen is for you!

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Aqua Teen isn't as funny as it used to be, but it hasn't reached Simpsons-level mediocrity yet.

The whole bomb thing is hiliarious, I do think Williams Street intended for this to be a terror scare, given the bomb-like look of the devices, and the fact that nowhere did it actually say 'Watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Adult Swim!' or 'Aqua Teen the Movie! Coming Soon!' not to mention the fact these are pretty unrecognizable characters that only internet nerds like us, or college students recognize. The general public doesn't know what the hell a Mooninite is, let alone the "Aqua Teen Hunder Force" (Thank you FOX News, for that quote) Also, the places these things were put: On bridge enterances. Subways. It's obvious they were trying to generate some form of curiousity/controversy.

But I don't think they expected it to blow this big out of proportion. If anything, they may have wanted to cause isolated incidents that get a page on a local newspaper, to get people to watch the show and movie.

I can't wait for the inevitable 'Mooninites Bomb Boston' episode.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

I <3 ATHF. Boston got pwned!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Re: ATHF movie / Ad Campaing gone bad

Post by Cuckooguy »

Discuss.
Also, is it just me, or does anyone else hate it when someone ends a post with this?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Poison Eggroll hates it when people end their posts with the word "Discuss".

Discuss.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Disco > Discuss. Especially if it's Daft Punk.

Maco70

Re: ATHF movie / Ad Campaing gone bad

Post by Maco70 »

Poison Eggroll wrote:
Discuss.
Also, is it just me, or does anyone else hate it when someone ends a post with this?
This is a forum after all, or am I mistaken?

Anyway, I've looked up pictures of what these things look like. Have you seen them?

It's a friggin Light Brite.

I'm with the people that say that people should have more sense than the people of Boston obviously do.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

Heh, and the guys who planted all of these, are being charged for planting "hoax devices", and they're only talking about 70's hair styles.

You can even find some of these on eBay for like 2,000 bucks.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Aqua Teen hasn't been funny since, like, 2003. There is no way the movie is going to be any good. I blame the Mooninites: the second they came into the picture, my days of caring about the series were over.

It's like the fucking Rugrats of adult swim. They just won't let it die.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Yeah, this is a forum for discussing, but it feels as pointless as tagging "in my opinion" or "IMHO" to everything. Everyone already knows that it's your own damn opinion, and since this is a discussion board, ending with "Discuss." feels quite redundant and feels like the original posters wants attention and they want people to post in their threads as if they're attention-whores, even if they aren't and that isn't their intent.

Sorry if I sound mean, and I imagine that I already seem like an asshole to Maco70, but please try not to think I'm doing this to spite Maco70.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

roflmoaglolomgwootdiggy!!!!I Want Candy! And then the Spider with the JUICE! and then roflmaloadorf caveman with a tie blahblahblah mooninites and cigarettes lolsmoking is fun roflaehy yay! wooot! And brownie monsters the tasty death lololololololomG!!!!!!111withthemothmananddraculainthebus!!1111SHAKE FTW!1123 I GIVE YOU MORE CORN!

I think I summed up the entirety of the series for everyone. Anymore to discuss?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yeah, I saw the show like, half once. I think I was just aching to understand the meaning behind the title. I switched channels after a few minutes, partly because it was distilled Flash mediocrity at its lowest, but mostly because I couldn't understand that little meatball thing soaking up all the screentime. I think a lot of the shows on Adult Swim rely on the same formula (scrimp on animation costs and coherent, structured writing; rely on average script peppered with "biting" social commentaries and failed witticisms) and it's bollocks.

That said, I heartily enjoy both Robot Chicken and Moral Orel, probably due, in part, to my fascination for stop-motion. Oh, and I discovered The Venture Bros. the other night. Fucking hell! Now there's a quality show. Makes me wish The Tick was still around.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh yes, the Venture Brothers is quite possibly the best show ever on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim. Possibly the best show ever on cable televsion. My boyfriend and I are forever quoting it at eachother. He does a damn good Brock Samson impression.

Third season starts in November. It took two years between season 1 and 2, though, which was two years too long.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Zeta wrote:He does a damn good Brock Samson impression.
...in the bedroom? Even I'd swoon.

I don't know why I make it seem so improbable, I'm like the gayest straight guy I know.

Maco70

Post by Maco70 »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Sorry if I sound mean, and I imagine that I already seem like an asshole to Maco70, but please try not to think I'm doing this to spite Maco70.
Naw, I'm used to forums. Anyone who gets offended in a forum should stay out of the internet.
As for stating the obvious, some people need a little coaxing to discuss. Also, saying "discuss" implies that you are looking for intelligent responses. not just; "OMGZ AQUA T33NZ I5 TEH 5HITZ!"

Aqua teen isn't the greatest show on adult swim, but it is still funny.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I don't know why I make it seem so improbable, I'm like the gayest straight guy I know.
I know a straight guy who collects hats and shoes, is a music major, loves to dress up in pinks and purples, only has gay guys and straight women for friends, listens to Cher, bakes constantly, lisps, and who loves to watch Golden Girls.

Maco70

Post by Maco70 »

j-man wrote:I don't know why I make it seem so improbable, I'm like the gayest straight guy I know.
?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Zeta wrote:I know a straight guy who collects hats and shoes, is a music major, loves to dress up in pinks and purples, only has gay guys and straight women for friends, listens to Cher, bakes constantly, lisps, and who loves to watch Golden Girls.
Honey, that's not a straight guy. He just says that because he's not into you.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

He dated a chick for three years. I wasn't the one hitting on him, trust me. He says he tried being gay so that his personality would fit in better but it "didn't take".

Anyways, my main complaint with ATHF is that it's not funny because every episode is the same - the teens meet some weird new surreal character who causes trouble while Shake acts like a jackass and no one else really does or says anything funny. It's a character of the day format that would make Pokemon blush.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

The event made me feel ashamed I live in the same state as those people.