ATHF movie / Ad Campaing gone bad

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Madamluna

Post by Madamluna »

My mom and I couldn't stop laughing when we first heard about this, especially when they showed pictures and it turns out people got terrified over Lite Brites.

Due to that, I've actually been rewatching my ATHF Vol.1 DVD too; I stopped watching the series around Final Mooning when they actually managed to make the Mooninites unfunny after a string of generally mediocre episodes and the mostly terrible Spacecataz, but some of the early stuff is still pretty hilarious (Space Conflict From Beyond Pluto, Circus, Broodwich, the turkey episodes and the first three or four Mooninites ones are gold).

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Zeta wrote:He dated a chick for three years. I wasn't the one hitting on him, trust me. He says he tried being gay so that his personality would fit in better but it "didn't take".
If someone "tries being gay" I don't think he has a whole lot of confidence in his sexuality.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

If someone "tries to be gay" and ends up failing, then I would assume that is concrete evidence of their sexuality. They're straight.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Exactly. I'd consider the guy who tries and fails a hell of a lot straighter than the guy who just never thinks about it. Hell, I can't imagine the former is more likely than the latter to wake up into a 15-year marriage and go "Oh shit—I don't like the pussy."

ATHF is one of those shows that my freshman dorm roommate loved and owned a bunch of seasons. It had its moments—moreso than a lot of the AS garbage I've seen when bored. But I could never quite figure out what made him buy the DVDs.

As for this 'terror threat' thing, I'll concede it's hilariously stupid, but the wires and the battery looks scary. That's how bombs look in the movies, and I don't expect people who dwell in a city where it's normal to walk in front of oncoming traffic because there aren't any jaywalking laws to know the difference. If someone doodled a smilie face on an H-bomb, I wouldn't really be any less afraid of it. Granted, the arrests are over the top and I doubt their constitutionality, but there wasn't enough context for this "ad" to even make sense. Any jackoff could have done that. There used to be a small Megaman mosaic next to the entrance to the Hynes Convention Center T-stop. Did Capcom put it there? Not my first thought. And I would have guessed some hardcore ATHF fan-dork put some really esoteric sub-cult-fan-fave character from their cult-fave show on a light grid and posted it on a landmark like all the thousands of people in this city who put local band stickers on lampposts and guard rails.

In a nutshell, I don't consider the lights malintentioned or wrong. But it was stupid. Which I think shouldn't be the label affixed to the citizens who saw that and got worried.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

What? How the hell does it make you straighter if you tried to go with guys and it didn't work? Truly examine that remark and please explain to me how trying to be gay makes you less gay in the first place?

Not that there's anything wrong with the gay community. They do not have children unless they can afford them and that is awesome.

I think maybe someone who does that is way more sexually confused than anyone else that's picked a team and knows it's where they belong.

And if he's saying he's "bi" that just means he's afraid to be gay. I give all guys who are claiming the title of bi-sexual the right to just be gay. It's okay guys, nobody really cares. Unless you're ugly. Then it's a tragedy.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Zeta wrote:Oh yes, the Venture Brothers is quite possibly the best show ever on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim. Possibly the best show ever on cable televsion. My boyfriend and I are forever quoting it at eachother. He does a damn good Brock Samson impression.

Third season starts in November. It took two years between season 1 and 2, though, which was two years too long.
Uh dude, but didn’t the Venture Bros like...died? That was the last episode they showed here….

Maco70

Post by Maco70 »

Arcade wrote:
Zeta wrote:Oh yes, the Venture Brothers is quite possibly the best show ever on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim. Possibly the best show ever on cable televsion. My boyfriend and I are forever quoting it at eachother. He does a damn good Brock Samson impression.

Third season starts in November. It took two years between season 1 and 2, though, which was two years too long.
Uh dude, but didn’t the Venture Bros like...died? That was the last episode they showed here….
Actually... I think that was one of the first episodes.
Turns out they were clones. Or something, I don't really remember.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Adult swim here shows the episodes out of order. But it wasn’t one of the first episodes, because the Monarach was in hail, must have been episode 10 or something...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The episode where the Venture Brothers died was "Return to Spider Skull Island", episode 13 of season 1, the first season finale.

At the beginning of season 2, it's revealed that the Venture Brothers die regularly (14 or so times so far) and whenever they do, their dad just clones them again.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Isambard wrote:What? How the hell does it make you straighter if you tried to go with guys and it didn't work? Truly examine that remark and please explain to me how trying to be gay makes you less gay in the first place?
It proves you have no reservations about gaydom when you eventually reject it. However, the average straight guy whose stomach churns at the thought of stuffing either end of his digestive tract with man-meat is definitely straighter, but he can't really prove it, since his defiance is pretty much the same as your average closet case's.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

DackAttac wrote:It proves you have no reservations about gaydom when you eventually reject it. However, the average straight guy whose stomach churns at the thought of stuffing either end of his digestive tract with man-meat is definitely straighter, but he can't really prove it, since his defiance is pretty much the same as your average closet case's.
This has nothing to do with proving anything. A straight guy does not have to try boning another guy to realize that he indeed is not attracted to men. I can't see any way that a guy who considers "hey I think I like women but maybe I can try sexing the mens and see if it fits with my personality" is sure of his orientation. If you have confidence in your own sexuality, you know what you are physically attracted to, and what you aren't. That's it. You don't "try" something else because your personality is kind of stereotypically gay.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Labels + sexuality = MEANINGLESS ARGUMENTATION.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I despise the idea of kids sexually "experimenting" in college. In fact I hate about every aspect of the do or die college mentality. Fuckers. I'm sure you guys have heard of LUGs? That's Lesbian Until Graduation.

You know how you'll talk to some 40 or 50 year old (your parents.) and he'll tell you, "ahhh yeah college . . .best years of my life"? Think about what generation they were in college for. All they did was blow their brains out with drugs and sex. Too bad their life seems boring as shit when they finally did settle down.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Ok, now THIS is immature.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Nobody likes a troller.