Weirdest Game You've Owned?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Weirdest Game You've Owned?

Post by Zeta »

I was just wondering about this, today.

I remember I had this one game for the original NES as a kid. I loved it.

It was called "Kiwi Kraze", and it's kind of undescribable. Even the art style was unusual. Basically, imagine if Kid Icarus vomited over Bubble Bobble. You'd have Kiwi Kraze. Or something close to it.

The story is that a Kiwi living in a zoo in New Zealand has his friends stolen by a walrus who wants to eat them.

It's a charming game, because you can tell the developer really had nothing more than a vauge idea of what exactly these animals were or how the acted. For instance, one doesn't often see the walrus eating birds. Much less being known as the sworn natural enemy of the Kiwi bird.

Second of all, the Kiwis weren't Kiwis at all. Those who have seen the birds know that they are ugly, brown, with gigantic beaks. These "Kiwis" were baby chickens - yellow, tiny beaks, and adorable. No question about that. I would be very suprised if the developers even knew what a Kiwi really was.

A varitey of other freaks attacked the main character. Usually random animals like koala bears and cats.

The most interesting thing about this game was the balloon system. The main Kiwi had nothing but a bow, some arrows, and a pair of hawaiian shorts. For transport, you would kill a balloon-riding enemy and steal their vehicle. Like a strange prototype of Grand Theft Auto on acid.

Anyways, the balloons had various different attributes. Some could be used as weapons, some were invincible. There was much tricky manuevering required to navigate your balloon through the barrage of obstacles and enemy fire.

I also vividly remember this game because it was the first platformer I played in which you were swallowed by a boss and had to kill him by shooting his uvula - that dangly thing in the back of the throat. By the time Yoshi's Story came around, it was a beloved platformer cliche, but at the time, it seemed both fresh and bizarre.

Another thing was New Zealand. As the gameplay progressed, you'd move across the tiny island nation. For many years of my childhood, I was convinced that New Zealand was a magical video game world that didn't exist, akin to the Mushroom Kingdom. Later in life, when I found out there was a New Zealand - I felt a little foolish. Also, I made sure to check the atlas for Dreamland and South Island while I was at it.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Samba de Amigo. Shaking maracas to latin rock songs while monkeys dance onscreen. I think my family thought I was gay, but I don't care, it's a great game.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Zeta, the game you're talking about is New Zealand Story, which was originally a 1988 arcade game from Taito. It was ported to quite a few consoles. They called it Kiwi Kraze in the US.

The weirdest game I've ever actually owned is Seaman, no questions.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

I have to agree Seaman was the weirdest I have ever owned and one of the weirder ones ever made... But there is one weird game that I always wanted to get that Segata Sanshirou game... Just seems like it was fun to play... And too I got looks from my family to for getting Samba de Amigo...

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Seaman.

...Leaonard Nimoy.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm pretty sure it's Mr. Bones for me.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

definately gitaroo man and ribbit king

Argent Silver

Post by Argent Silver »

I'm pretty sure it's Mr. Bones for me.
I remember seeing the preview for that on my Sega Screams Vol. 2 demo disc. It did look pretty weird, but I never played it. Was it any good?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I remember seeing the preview for that on my Sega Screams Vol. 2 demo disc. It did look pretty weird, but I never played it. Was it any good?
You don't play Mr. Bones because it is "good" (it isn't), you play it because you want to save a race of liliputian dwarves from hungry spiders, or to run across a long table while avoiding the ass-slaps of rival skeletons, or to be lost in a bouncy maze made out of a giant version of your own skull. You can't rate this kind of experience.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

This probably isn't the weirdest game I have ever owned, but if you ever thought about it Sonic is pretty fucked up. You got a blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound, a two tailed fox, a pink hedgehog, and a fat genius that is actually retarded. Pikmin is pretty fucked up too.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

The original Parappa the Rapper was pretty quirky, even if it became somewhat mainstream. None of it's sequels ever lived up to the first one, either.

The only other one was "Kid Clown in Krazy Chase" for the SNES. Got a GBA port to my knowledge -- it's kind of like SegaSonic Arcade, really. Apparently this evil clown steals your girlfriend (who is pretty hot for a clown) and you gotta go get her - at the start of each (isometric) stage, the evil clown dude plants a bomb and lights the fuse.

You gotta race through the stage, never stopping for anything, to get to the bomb before the fuse burns down. Of course, there's a ton of shit in your way. I don't think I ever got past level 2 or 3.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

No, of course not. Because having a rapping compotition to use the toilet first is infact perfectly normal. As is baking a Seafood Cake. Or taking driving lessons from a Moose who's gender is a mystery.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

thats normal

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

ok it is little weird

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

You can put multiple sentences in one post, Tron.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

[quote="Bo"]You can put multiple sentences in one post, Tron.[/quote]

sorry i'm new

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think Sonniku just found someone to take some of the heat for him.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

sorry i'm new
Here, or in general?

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Let's see...

I don't own a copy of Cubivore.

I don't own a copy of Seaman.

For some reason, I don't own a copy of Earthbound even though I've rented many times.

Rented Kiwi Kraze/New Zealand Story a loooong time a go. Never owned it.

So the weirdest game I ever owned would be...do Mario games count? I mean they are obviously drug-influenced.

aso

Post by aso »

Weirdest? Minakata Hakudo Tohjou, I guess. Solve horrific mysteries through a VCR!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Though I never owned it, the idea behind that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fighting game was pretty odd.

And has anyone played the SNES game Unicycle? You were a unicycle and went through Sonic like levels without hardly any powerups or anything to collect really... I think that's what it was about. On one level I think I remember racing another unicycle. Maybe it was a racing game and I jut don't remember it.

Also, I must say some of the character designs in the F-Zero series has been questionable. They're probably only beat by the unlikely partnerships in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »