Weirdest Game You've Owned?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I played Brave Firefighters in an arcade the other day... having a firehose controller sounds weird, at least. It's pretty fun in cooperation mode.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Some other ones I'm surprised no one mentioned were No One Can Stop Mr. Domino and Mr. Masquito. I'm sure everyone has heard of Mr. Masquito, but Mr. Domino was a puzzle adventure game from what I hear. I never actually got a chance to play it.

While I'm posting, was Devil Dice weird? It looked somewhat odd...

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Noughts and Crosses is pretty fucking abstract.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Popcorn wrote:Noughts and Crosses is pretty fucking abstract.
It's got nothing on Snakes and Ladders.

And what's with the tame pansy star spangled ass "Chutes and Ladders" American version?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

I have to say Earthworm Jim 2 is by far the weirdest game I've ever played. It's a standard action platformer/shooter at its heart, but my gosh, it's got the most bizarre characters, levels, and le vel task imaginable. A maze of paper work with deadly file cabinets and an exit door you have to chase down at the end? A planet of meat with a salt shaker chasing you? Aliens who want to abduct cows that Jim must save? And the ending is the f***ing craziest ending I've ever seen in a video game. I thought the original Earthworm Jim was weird, but the sequel just blows it out of the water.

Earthbound (Mother 2) was also a game I found pretty weird, mainly due to some of the enemies you fight. New age retro hippies, scalding cups of coffee that kill you in like 3 hits, a big pile of puke, and Everdred are just some of the weirdos I can name off the top of my head. And I always laugh my butt off at the skyrunner scenes, which seem so overdone that it's hilarious. This was one wacky RPG. One day I'll borrow it from my friend again and finally beat it.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ecco wrote:One day I'll <I>"borrow"</I> it from my friend again and never return it.
Fixed.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

When I first began to watch FLCL, the thing that kept on coming into my head was "If they made an Earthbound anime, it'd problably be a hell of a lot like this".

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

My vote goes to BOKANTO IPPATSU DORONBO KANPEKIBAN!!!!!111 It's a top down, vehicle based arcade-style shoot-'em-up based off the anime Yattaman. You get to play as the villains in wacky cars like a monster truck with beard stubble or a giant snail and shit. A load of stuff happens, you fight big robots and this steam train lookin' guy and a big monkey and stuff...I dunno, but it's cool anyways.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

On second thoughts I think the oddest game I own was something I made myself aged about ten with a program called the games factory. It was called "the discovery of the gooey messes", and it was based of a story a couple of similarly aged friends wrote. They submitted it to several publishers, but since it involved the level of grotesque violence inherent in a normal childs imagination it was rejected immediately. My game suffered different problems, although only on the level of simple crass ineptitude. You couldn't run left without the character jumping around and flailing insanely. You could get your head stuck in celings (in fact, I think there was a level that relied on this trick.) But probably the most entertaining aspect was the part where you found the Gooey messes base and had to kill them all. You did this by suddenly aquiring the ability to fire rockets from your groin. On the next level, you mysteriously lost the ability, which on balance was probably a lot healthier.

Incidentaly, the author of the story is trying to gain admission onto the site, but hasn't recieved the email to activate his account yet.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Super Cosplay War Ultra.

A fighting game starring regular people who cosplay the characters and moves from their favorite series. It's bizarre and cool at the same time. Think Puzzle Fighter in terms of gameplay.

Not sure if it's the weirdest game I've ever played, but it is from my recent memory.

And it's free. w00t

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Incidentaly, the author of the story is trying to gain admission onto the site, but hasn't recieved the email to activate his account yet.
What did he register as?

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

He told me, but I can't quite remember :grin: I'll find out from him again today and use one of the computers at school to post it.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Ecco wrote:I have to say Earthworm Jim 2 is by far the weirdest game I've ever played. It's a standard action platformer/shooter at its heart, but my gosh, it's got the most bizarre characters, levels, and le vel task imaginable. A maze of paper work with deadly file cabinets and an exit door you have to chase down at the end? A planet of meat with a salt shaker chasing you? Aliens who want to abduct cows that Jim must save? And the ending is the f***ing craziest ending I've ever seen in a video game. I thought the original Earthworm Jim was weird, but the sequel just blows it out of the water.
I love Earthworm Jim. The gameplay was great, the character was innovative, and the games had a good sense of humor. Heck, even the short lived animated series was pretty good, too.

Why did they have to drag his name through the mud with Earthworm Jim 3D? Why?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's because they want to take every fond memory of our childhood's and then twist them into something deeply upsetting. I think it's part of a conspiracy to create a generation of jaded cynics.

Grant

Post by Grant »

It's working.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I'd say Dynamite Headdy. It's for Genesis. Play it if you haven't.
gr4yJ4Y wrote:And has anyone played the SNES game Unicycle? You were a unicycle and went through Sonic like levels without hardly any powerups or anything to collect really... I think that's what it was about. On one level I think I remember racing another unicycle. Maybe it was a racing game and I jut don't remember it.
You mean Uniracers. Paul Knox really likes it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Oh man, I loved Dynamite Headdy!

SuperCroc

Post by SuperCroc »

Bernie Boulder...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I can't remember the name of it, but there was this arcade game that was a combination Othello and horse racing. I have the rom floating around in the ocean that is my mame collection, I'll have to figure out which one it is later...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Othello that minute to learn lifetime to master board game?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Monopoly is some crazy shit too.

CE

Post by CE »

How about "Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshoho ! Hokuto no Ken"? It's a Fist of the North Star game where you watch the Fist of the North Star characters do Fist of the North Star things, such as
  • * Walking in the wasteland! *
    * Walking in the wasteland with a little girl! *
    * Punching numbered bad guys! *
    * Punching a really strong bad guy! *
all while you play slots the bottom half of the screen. Yup, that's your only input mechanism -- a slot machine. And its currently a top seller in Japan.

Those crazy Japanese!

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

My local arcade has some old Fist of the North Star game that sort of works like that punching QTE in Shenmue-- In front of the screen pop out padded targets that you're supposed to punch in order to block the attacks of the on-screen opponent, and when its your turn to attack, all the panels come out and you're supposed to punch all of them as many times as you can (Simulating the anime-style "flurry" of super fast punches)... Its pretty fun, but I've never seen anyone get past the second fight, since all of my friends are pretty out of shape and get tired after pummeling the first guy.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

The original Toejam & Earl games are perhaps some of the most bizarre games I've ever played. Boogiemen, cow ghosts, tourists, cheerleaders, bratty little kids with pea-shooters that fly around with balloons, hula dancers, and the likes make up the enemies of the games. It's just. . . :shock: .

Wario Ware is also pretty damn crazy. I mean, one minigame has you make a girl snort up snot into her nose.