Sonic to be in free comic, recipients to demand refund

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Sonic to be in free comic, recipients to demand refund

Post by Locit »

Not that anyone here actually cares, but the (admittedly far off) May 5th Free Comic Book Day will play host to a a free Sonic Comic. The plot outline seems to be one of Sonic turning on his allies and attacking them, possibly because he's finally had enough slipshod writing and terrible, terrible art direction and just wants to end it all. Here's hoping!

At least the cover is kind of nifty, even if Sonic looks just a little bit like he's on some variant of crack:
"The world's most way past cool comic" tagline is sure to bring in some new readers come May.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I actually took a look at the latest issue of the Sonic comic a few days ago, and I was surprised to see that it was actually far from unbearable. Plotwise, Ian actually seems to be bringing the thing back on track.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

He's setting the comic up for a massive continuty reboot that commits genocide with the entire SatAM cast and settings, is he not?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

He's setting the comic up for a massive continuty reboot that commits genocide with the entire SatAM cast and settings, is he not?
The House of M, Sonic style:

"No more furries, father. No more furries EVER!" *flash, the animal characters from the games are the only ones left, with Princess Sally and crew being turned into humans*

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

FlashTHD wrote:He's setting the comic up for a massive continuty reboot that commits genocide with the entire SatAM cast and settings, is he not?
I hope not. He's doing way too much standard-operation housecleaning just to go, "All this fixing I've done for six months? REBOOT IT ALL."

Still, though: Yes. Ian is bringing the comic back on track. He's pretty much the best writer I think the comic has ever seen.

Minor stabs at Ken Penders during the house-cleaning is nice, too.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I hope not. He's doing way too much standard-operation housecleaning just to go, "All this fixing I've done for six months? REBOOT IT ALL."
That's the impression I get from reading Dan Drazen's reviews.

Hey, if they're going to do a reset of Crisis on Infinite Earths proportions, might as well leave the last incarnation of the story on a higher note with as few plot threads left dangling as possible.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Having glanced through Drazen's #169 review, yeesh - he sure is being hard on Ian. I like Ian's work considerably more than anything Penders has ever written, but Drazen picks Ian apart for every minor little detail, as bad or worse than he did with Ken. And with Ken, it felt justified, but here I'm left scratching my head why Dan is going for the jugular like that.

Anyway, it depends on your concept of a reboot, though. The gist I got from Dan's review is that the reboot is currently in progress and when house cleaning is over the reboot will be finished.

When I think of a reboot, I think... "Crisis on Infinite Earths". Where a single, sweeping plotline pretty much resets everything and everybody to square one.

That's not what's happening here. Ian is tying up loose ends while still pushing forward.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Comic page posted by BlazeHedgehog
Is that a tube coming Metal Sonic's(?) head? It looks like a tube.
Anyway, I wonder in which point in time they decided to change the comic's tone (from slapstick to "serious"). Or was it a more gradual thing?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Anyway, I wonder in which point in time they decided to change the comic's tone (from slapstick to "serious"). Or was it a more gradual thing?
It was definately gradual. For a time, they would randomly shift back and forth between slapstick and serious. And they never knew when to use which, really.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

That is Sonic's father, Jules. Jules was the first victim of the robotization process Dr. Robotnik eventually stole for his own uses (it was originally invented by Sonic's Uncle, Charles, to help the sick). Though by now most of the people who Robotnik turned into robots have been converted back to flesh-and-blood, Jules must remain a robot - the entire reason he was roboticized was because he suffered fatal wounds during a war, many years ago. If he was reverted back to flesh-and-blood, he would still be wounded, as he was when he became a robot - and thus would die.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Hey, since everyone got deroboticized, did they ever shed light on Bunnie's parts? I recall she got remodelled, so did her removed limbs ever change back to flesh, or were they tinkered too much by Rotor preventing her former parts ever turning into flesh?

My best guess is they never touched the issue, but, well, it'd be interesting to know if they did.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Of the two outcomes you presented in the question, they went with the latter. It'd been tampered with to the extent that they were no longer her real body parts, so she was stuck with.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Dudes, go and read STCO, http://www.stconline.co.uk/ , is online, free, and better than Archie Sonic will ever be. And already has more than 20 issues!!!.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

TWENTY!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I’ve never committed to it because it has terrible illustrations. And terrible original character designs. So if there is any actual good story material, I’ve never known it.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So, I was curious to the link Arcade posted to see this comic and the first page of the Sonic story tells us that Sonic and Tails are trapped in blizzard on Christmas Eve.

The first thing I thought of was, "They celebrate Christmas in Sonic the Comic's Mobius?"

The art wasn't really so hot either, though checking with the back issues it seems that there was some great artists back then.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Father Christmas actually appears in an story in STC. Where he warns Robotnik to change his ways or risk losing his power.

Just for those interested: STC Archive All issues scanned.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm still waiting for the Archie comic people to get off their collective arses and make a decent game adaptation--haven't had one since the Adventure games. Rush and Riders were both these wierd side-story, pseudo-introductions, and they NEVER bothered to mention the Advance games, Heroes, Battle, or Shadow.

With any luck, their SONIC 2006 work might break past "half-baked".

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Forza Johnman wrote:Father Christmas actually appears in an story in STC. Where he warns Robotnik to change his ways or risk losing his power.

Just for those interested: STC Archive All issues scanned.
In addition to traveling around the world in 24hrs, Santa now has the means to go to distant planets? What issue is this?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yami CJMErl wrote:I'm still waiting for the Archie comic people to get off their collective arses and make a decent game adaptation--haven't had one since the Adventure games. Rush and Riders were both these wierd side-story, pseudo-introductions, and they NEVER bothered to mention the Advance games, Heroes, Battle, or Shadow.

With any luck, their SONIC 2006 work might break past "half-baked".
The SA1 adapt blew huge amounts of balls, though. Basically, it sucked because Sega wouldn't provide the writers with any formal information on the game's script or plot; they had to rely on poor translations from Spaz on the import copy. Because of this, they didn't have enough time to write a proper storyline and polish it up; because by the time Spaz had beaten the game and relayed his broken translations, it was getting mighty close to deadline.

It was after this that Archie was pretty much never allowed to do a true game adaptation ever again; most of them simply end with "TO BE CONTINUED: IN THE GAME!"

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Forza Johnman wrote:Father Christmas actually appears in an story in STC. Where he warns Robotnik to change his ways or risk losing his power.
I seem to remember Charles Dickens visited Robotnik on an issue of the Archie version.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

The SA1 adapt blew huge amounts of balls, though. Basically, it sucked because Sega wouldn't provide the writers with any formal information on the game's script or plot; they had to rely on poor translations from Spaz on the import copy. Because of this, they didn't have enough time to write a proper storyline and polish it up; because by the time Spaz had beaten the game and relayed his broken translations, it was getting mighty close to deadline.

It was after this that Archie was pretty much never allowed to do a true game adaptation ever again; most of them simply end with "TO BE CONTINUED: IN THE GAME!"
This actually explains a lot.

Though I don't see what the problem would be to just WAIT a little while until the game's been released a few months and give whoever comes up with said adaptation ideas the chance to beat the game.

(out of morbid curiosity, how does one produce "spoiler" tags in this forum?)

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:I seem to remember Charles Dickens visited Robotnik on an issue of the Archie version.
Concerning Christmastime turnings of leaf or just sort of on the fly?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'm pretty sure you just type then close it.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Concerning Christmastime turnings of leaf or just sort of on the fly?
I was definitly in the spirit of Christmas, but I don't recall if he turned or not.