YTMND sued by Sega

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

YTMND sued by Sega

Post by Shadow Hog »

<a href="http://ytmnd.com/news/?news_id=56">God forbid ANYONE make fun of <i>Sonic the Hedgehog</i>!</a>

So yeah, this is pretty damn stupid. Sure, Sega has the right to tear this stuff down - but really, why? Last I checked, both expressing opinions and general parody, which most of these fall under, are covered by the first amendment as free speech, so there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess somebody's just bitter that people finally stopped buying crappy 3D <i>Sonic</i> games.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The rap is pretty amusing

http://ytmndsega.ytmnsfw.com/

Honestly though this whole thing is ridiculous and I lose more respect for Sega (even if it was Sega of Europe) by the minute. It's feeling like in the near future I'm going to be considering them as one of the worst companies in the industry.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

The legal letter didn't mention rape at all only copyright infringement you think Sega the Would be more concerned over the image of an IP that they market mostly to children.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

that rap makes me cry with its words of hate.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

I thought it was pretty funny. And revealing.

Maybe Sega needs to die a little bit more. They seem to like to abuse their remaining fan base.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

*sighs*

SEGA, you used to be COOL, man.

You've changed.

I remember a time when i'd scribble poorly written letters to SEGA, asking me how to get past Wing Fortress in Sonic 2, and getting back a 4-page walkthrough of the entire game, along with a level select code, and a code to be Super Sonic, whom i didn't even know existed at the time.
(I thought once the code was entered, Sonic would sprout a cape like Superman and fly.)

But now they're just corporate jerks.

I reitirate: YOU USED TO BE COOL!

...MAN!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

When stuff like this happens, everyone reacts by saying "Man, I just lost all my respect for COMPANY-X. They've really gone downhill!"

But guys, every big company employs a massive legal department to go out and enforce their copyrights for them. And every once in awhile, one of those lawyers does something kind of silly. But it's not like the president of SEGA sits down and personally authorizes every cease-and-desist they send. It's all contracted out. It has nothing to do with the rest of the company.

A little while ago, one of Nintendo's lawyers issued a cease-and-desist to Suicide Girls because one of the naked models mentioned some NES games she liked in her blog. When the owners of the site told Nintendo this had happened, Nintendo immediately backed down and issued an apology. They had no idea the CaD had ever been issued in the first place.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Lawyers just try to sue or CaD or patent everything that moves because that's what they are paid to do.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

You know your company is in a rut when your lawyers start sending psuedo-intellectual complaint letters to a website that has the collective mental age of ten, and they still somehow manage to show that your company sucks.

Edit: To Esrever-

You're right about that, but you've got to wonder if you're hiring the right kind of lawyers when their legal case is completely beaten down by a rap song about rape scenes and homosexual messages that don't actually exist.
Last edited by Hybrid on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

M.C.Dillinger wrote:The legal letter didn't mention rape at all only copyright infringement you think Sega the Would be more concerned over the image of an IP that they market mostly to children.
I think Sega should be sued over letting children play Shadow the Hedgehog and the next-gen Sonic.

The blatant stupidity of those games are far more damaging to a child's mental growth than any rap song or website frequented by bored pot-heads/high school students.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Why does it seem like the only branch of SEGA that ever takes legal action is SOE?
Immediately transfer the ownership of the Website to us.
hahahahahahahahahahahah

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Good work lawyers. Way to destroy Sega's reputation even more (if that's possible).

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Um can someone tell me what happened to my post thanks in advance.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Sega of Europe ordered The GHZ's staff to remove it as to not give the impression that your opinion reflected Sega's own.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I deleted it myself partially because of its utter disregard for grammar but mainly because it was whiny and melodramatic. There's been more than enough "oh why sega i hate you so much for raping my childhood" floating around. You gotta be more creative than that.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Well I don't know what post you were reading but my grammar was fine and it always is pal.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

b_boult wrote:Well I don't know what post you were reading but my grammar was fine and it always is pal.
Grammar is always my pal, too!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

b_boult wrote:Well I don't know what post you were reading but my grammar was fine and it always is pal.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

That could've done with a few commas, b_boult. Also, you're a very silly man and were I more willing to, I would give you such an e-tongue lashing that you would cry yourself to sleep.

Legal action is for little bitches, by the way.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well I don't know what post you were reading but my grammar was fine and it always is pal.
That's nice. My grammar's NTSC, for the record.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

TIME TO SUE THE INTERNET

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hit a nerve?

Edit: there was once a post above mine that was a very angry one indeed.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Esrever wrote:When stuff like this happens, everyone reacts by saying "Man, I just lost all my respect for COMPANY-X. They've really gone downhill!"
Well as this appears to be partially aimed at me I'll mention that in this situation it's not this in particular that's causing my loss of respect, it's just one extra addition to an already massive mountain of problems lately. I think everyone feels pretty much the same way.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Oh man. The exaggerated, retaliatory personal attacks, the questioning of sexuality, the use of fuck every other word...I grew up in NY, so listening to that guy really takes me back. I actually burst out laughing when he started talking about the rings.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Who are you talking about exactly?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The guy that talks inbetween the rapping.