Best cellphone ever!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Best cellphone ever!

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

!
^ The Apple iphone

Not only is this the cell phone ipod that's been rumored for years, it's the ultimate cellphone.

It has a logical interface,multi-touch display, full ipod functionality with Cover Flow (and the video playback), Internet (Safari web browser, e-mail, Google maps),Visual Voicemail,Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)+ Bluetooth 2.0,2-megapixel camera, and runs on OS X

This has to be at least five to ten years ahead of anything else on the market.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

But can you make telephone calls with it?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Too bad it's locked to <strike>AT&T</strike> Cingular. Oh, and five hundred goddamn dollars.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Yea, it's a shame that Apples piss me off.

"Stop sending me back to the desktop you twat!"

Incidentally, i love Granny Smith apples.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

One Classy Bloke wrote:"Stop sending me back to the desktop you twat!"
You're doing it wrong.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The Apple interface runs more smoothly than Windows could ever hope to, but since there are -8 people who are willing to make the jump, it will forever be lost to the ages.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yes, because holding a button and clicking to simulate a right-click is MUCH easier than actually right-clicking.

Also it's far easier to close a window by clicking "exit" in the toolbar up above when clicking the red button should've sufficed. (I don't believe most programs have this problem, but I swear I've seen it occur.)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I use a Mac running OSX Tiger at the office, and a PC running XP at home. I've used both machines more than 20 hours a week (each) for the last couple of years.

So believe me -- believe me -- when I say that neither setup is especially superior. OSX excels at specific things, sure, but it does so by severely restricting what you can do with it. Windows, on the other hand, is more flexible... at the expense of being less secure and slightly more complex to use.

Apple makes way better user applications than Microsoft. But Windows supports a wide variety of awesome third-party applications that Apple doesn't. Both systems have their excruciatingly annoying flaws, and both of them crash all the time when I'm running Photoshop. And people actually become zealots over these systems? (Both of them!) Eeesh!

That cell phone looks sweet, though. Portable electronics really play towards the companies strengths.

M.C.Dillinger
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

holding a button and clicking to simulate a right-click is MUCH easier than actually right-clicking
Apple finally fixed that
however I recommend buying another mouse

close a window by clicking "exit" in the toolbar up above when clicking the red button should've sufficed. (I don't believe most programs have this problem, but I swear I've seen it occur.)
command+Q

Rolken

Post by Rolken »

Sure, they "fixed it" for desktops if you buy another mouse. The majority of computers sold these days are laptops, and if you buy one of Apple's you're locked into a single button, so it's quite a relevant complaint.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I heard one of the problems they're having with this phone already is, since it's touch sensitive, putting the phone up to your face, only to hang up/open something else on it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

And even if you do get a two button mouse, the support for it is terrible.

For example, when you right click an icon (or the desktop) in OSX, there is often a noticeable load time before the menu pops up. Especially if you have an older Mac, or a pre-Tiger version of OSX, or both. It's obvious that OSX was not really designed with that feature in mind.

Something I'm wondering about the iPhone is... does it come with a stylus? Because if you're actually supposed to use your finger on it, that sucker is going to get smeared up really fast. And that mini keyboard's "keys" look a bit small for fingertips, doesn't it?

M.C.Dillinger

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

does it come with a stylus?
No

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

I heard Cisco is going sue happy on Apple for this phone. Sounds like Apple is learning to play Microsoft's game..."It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission."

But does anyone need a phone that will run on an OS and check your email while you watch the new 50 cent rap video during the time that it's downloading the old 50 cent rap video that you missed last week because you will just, like, die if you don't see it?

I hate technology simply because it's going from "Check out these technological leaps from analog to digital!" to "Mine is red and way cooler looking than yours."

And screw Apple for not adding a damn stylus to a touchpad. Who the hell do they think they are?

Signed,
a surly old man

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I hate technology simply because it's going from "Check out these technological leaps from analog to digital!" to "Mine is red and way cooler looking than yours."
Actually, it's more like "Check out this new development" to "Check out how many of these old developments I can shove into one product: it's a MP3 player, CD player, DVD player, game, phone, toaster, pocketknife, flashlight, spork, booklight, book, and skateboard all in one!"

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Which book?
Rolken wrote:Sure, they "fixed it" for desktops if you buy another mouse. The majority of computers sold these days are laptops, and if you buy one of Apple's you're locked into a single button, so it's quite a relevant complaint.
I'll have to check your claim about laptops, but even so, you can plug a mouse into your laptop. I would anyway just because I hate trackpads.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

The $2500 "Mac Pro" functions quite smoothly whenever I have had the chance to mess with one, but it is 2500 bucks.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I was forced onto Mac by my school, and aside from the fact that you really can't game for shit on it, it's not that bad. Most of the "weaknesses" are only so because you're used to a PC. I bought a two button mouse with a scroll wheel first week of owning it (because I, too, hate trackpads). The support for it is not lacking in the least. The mouse came with software and adapters and the whole nine yards, but they wound up in the trash because all I ever did was plug it in and it's been working as naturally as I would expect it too.

I'm not saying Mac's are perfect, but not giving a rat's ass about spyware or viruses is great. (Although I managed to GET one, but I killed it. OK, my faulty hard drive did the job when it committed suicide, which was complaint #2.)

This phone looks damn sexy, but really, the sexy factor is all it has going for it in my book. I just bought an iPod that I intend to keep for years, I bought a day planner when my Palm Pilot died (I'm boycotting Palm. Really. Nothing good can come from owning their crusty heaps of compost they call "products". Their tech support tackles the difficult task of being even shittier.) and I just got a basic but nice phone. And I have no use for Cingular.

I would have to make a metric shitload of money before I even think about thinking about buying that thing.