Predictions for 2007

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I want to give them all cuddles! Special cuddles.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

<i>Halo 3</i> will be released, quickly propelling the 360 well beyond meager sales of the PS3 (I mean, well more than it already IS beyond).

<i>Gears of War 2</i> is announced at whatever E3 successor we have now, due to come out in 2008.

<i>Metroid Prime 3</i> comes out toward the end of the year, and quickly becomes quite possibly the best game on the Wii. Period. It is released roughly the same time <i>Halo 3</i> is (can't be bothered to fact check to see if this is actually gonna happen), causing a gigantic clash of release dates the likes of which the world hasn't seen... since 2004, when <i>Halo 2</i> and <i>Metroid Prime 2</i> came out around the same week. Along with the original DS, <i>Half-Life 2</i>, <i>San Andreas</i>, and <i>World of Warcraft</i>... damn, that was a good week.

While I'm at it, another really awesome week like that aforementioned one in 2004 occurs. I mean, <i>damn</i>. That's a lot of awesome for one week. That's, like, the best week of video games, ever.

Sega finally gets the hint and gives the working of the next big <i>Sonic</i> game to somebody more capable. Unlikely, but it worked with <i>Tomb Raider</i>. Worked really well.

Prope actually does something. Prolly that <i>Fifth Phantom Saga</i> thing. Haven't heard much about that.

<i>Panzer Dragoon</i> comes into the picture somewhere. Prolly for the Wii or something, since development costs are lower, so the risks of bringing back one of video gaming's most beloved series without it bombing are mitigated somewhat. It'd be in the vein of <i>PD Saga</i>, hopefully, but I'll be happy with another shooter so long as there's just another game, period.

<i>Phantom Hourglass</i> moves yet more DS units, as if it needed to. Hopefully, its tacked on stylus-control is non-mandatory and you can just use the buttons like the good ol' days.

<i>Wario: Master of Disguise</i> becomes the closest thing to <i>Wario Land 5</i> yet, but still lacks the quality that made me fall in love with <i>Wario Land 2</i> and <i>WL3</i>. Seriously. Those are quite possibly the best platformers ever created; funny how the things can be so challenging even despite the fact you're completely invincible.

<i>Pirates 3</i> breaks even MORE records than <i>Pirates 2</i> did.

Nintendo will stop beating around the bush and just flat out confirm that Sonic's in <i>Brawl</i>. It NEEDS to happen. The penultimate battle between Sonic and Mario has been delayed long enough; the time has come for it to actually happen, on-screen, in a game as enjoyable as the <i>Smash Bros.</i> series generally is.

<i>Street Fighter 4</i>, for the love of God. Alternatively, a new version of <i>Street Fighter 2</i> (c'mon, this IS Capcom) which is completely renovated to have graphical and sound quality on-par with <i>Street Fighter 3</i>, and a little more insight to the story to help tie it in with <i>Street Fighter Alpha 3</i>.

Capcom announces a <i>Mega Man</i> game that ISN'T that DS <i>Battle Network</i> knock-off. With any luck, it'd be <i>ZX 2</i> or out-and-out <i>Mega Man 9</i> (seeing as it's been TEN FREAKING YEARS since <i>Mega Man 8</i>, and <i>Mega Man & Bass</i> doesn't count), or hell, even <i>Legends 3</i> - I don't care, just get me more things to shoot in 2D. Capcom's utter silence on the <i>Mega Man</i> front might be a good thing, considering all the original titles they've been putting out lately (<i>Dead Rising</i>, <i>Lost Planet</i>, <i>Okami</i>, etc.), but by no means do I want to see the classics abandoned.

<i>Streets of Rage 4</i>. I wouldn't mind a <i>Streets of Rage</i>/<i>Final Fight</i> crossover, either, just for the heckuvit, although differentiating between Cody and Axel'd be a little tricky. (Lessee: both have white shirt, blue jeans, tennis shoes, hand covers, blond hair...)

A good, non-episodic point & click adventure in the vein of the old LucasArts games is either announced or actually released. That, or Double Fine finally comes clean with EXACTLY what they've been working on since <i>Psychonauts</i>. I know it's some kinda <i>Diablo</i> clone, but that's about it.

That's what I'd like to see, at any rate.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Phantom Hourglass moves yet more DS units, as if it needed to. Hopefully, its tacked on stylus-control is non-mandatory and you can just use the buttons like the good ol' days.
After TP for Wii not giving you the option to use a GC or Classic Controller, I highly doubt they're going to wuss out and give people a button based option (I also highly doubt it's "tacked on" seeing as the touch screen was a focal point of the the trailer.).

Predictions:

Nintendo proves that Wii can put out nice visuals with thier newer titles but many 3rd parties continue to port PS2 games because of "Overclocked Gamecube olol" syndrome.

FFXIII makes PS3 sales skyrocket but ends up being a shallow experience unworthy of the total $560-$660 asking pice to play it. On another note, MGS4 is as good as people think it will be but has a port for the 360 coming out in about 6 months of the PS3 version's release.

Sony tries to bank on Nintendo's success of simple motion controlled games and releases a line of cheap Wii Sports-style games that manipulate the PS3 controller and Eyetoy. Said games end up being both half-assed and piss-poor.

In the PS3 vs 360 battle, XBOX 360 becomes America's popular console while PS3 is Japan's popular console. Wii maintains fairily strong popularity in all regions.

Sonic Wildfire will be a fun, but not very long experience.

Going out on a limb, I think we'll start seeing some good Sonic fangames due to frustration over SEGA not being able to deliver.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have a shakey start as the general public sticks to DVDs and some sort of HD digital movie download service is announced.

Metriod Prime 3 will include some kind of online multiplayer akin to Hunters on the DS perhaps even using some of the maps from Hunters. Fanboys debate the purity of it while the rest of us have fun.

A Starfox game is announced for Wii. Will be a strictly on-rails affair aside from the odd all range section. Online multiplayer will be included.

To go along with all the online Wii games coming out, Nintendo announces a wireless headset(which would actually make sense for the Wii) that will cost less than the 360 one but will still be a bit expensive. MP3, Starfox, BWii, and Mario Strikers will support it though you will only be able to listen to those you have on your friend list.

And that's all from me. I can't really think of anything more absurd at the moment.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

In celebration of the Final Fantasy series's 20th Anniversary and FFVII's 10th Anniversary, S-E will finally announce the worst kept secret in the industry--the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

However, in a surprise twist it will be on the DS and not on the PS3 like many was expecting.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Mine:

- Sega announces another Sonic game for the Nintendo DS. Though not neccesarily Sonic Rush 2, or even 2D, it will be announced - and like all the portable Sonics, it will be outsourced to a third party with it's development being "overseen" by Sega. Backbone Entertainment will probably head it up.

- Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be delayed.

- Microsoft announces a new version of the Xbox 360 for Christmas 2007. It is a culimation of all the stuff that's been rumored and accidentally leaked over the last few months: HDMI, 120gb HDD and possibily, a built in HD-DVD drive. Microsoft offers to upgrade owners of the Premium console to this new version for $100.

- Nintendo doesn't announce New Super Mario Brothers 2. Everybody weeps.

- Duke Nukem Forever finally starts showing signs of possibily coming out eventually. Maybe.

- New Kingdom Hearts are announced for the PSP, DS and Nintendo Wii after Disney forces Square-Enix to shun the Playstation 3 in order to make the game more accessible to it's target demographic.

- Playstation 3 sales figures start looking up, but the console has difficulty getting momentum. Nobody is surprised.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

I really really really want KOTOR 3 to come out.

Yes, I realize there has been virtually zero information released, I don't care. :cry:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

- Sega announces another Sonic game for the Nintendo DS. Though not neccesarily Sonic Rush 2, or even 2D, it will be announced - and like all the portable Sonics, it will be outsourced to a third party with it's development being "overseen" by Sega. Backbone Entertainment will probably head it up.
And it will of course, be better than most Sega-produced Sonic games for the past 4 years.
- Nintendo doesn't announce New Super Mario Brothers 2. Everybody weeps.
Until they remember a mediocre game who's only real selling point was the license and nostolgia should remain Sonic's domain.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

To go along with all the online Wii games coming out, Nintendo announces a wireless headset(which would actually make sense for the Wii) that will cost less than the 360 one but will still be a bit expensive. MP3, Starfox, BWii, and Mario Strikers will support it though you will only be able to listen to those you have on your friend list.
Third parties will soon follow, with their own cheap low quality headsets. A headset of good quality will come in the 2008.
Going out on a limb, I think we'll start seeing some good Sonic fangames due to frustration over SEGA not being able to deliver.
That's funny, because I was thinking about going into mod development.

More Predictions

Even with the release of Burning Crusade, 2007 will also see the announcement of another expansion (and going against blizzard tradition) for WoW.

or

Blizzard Entertainment shocks everyone with a trailer showing a sequel StarCraft, Warcraft or Diablo, brought to you by their money printing and mmo

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Dash wrote:Going out on a limb, I think we'll start seeing some good Sonic fangames due to frustration over SEGA not being able to deliver.
That's not a stretch at all; we've been seeing good Sonic fangames for at least a year or so. The stretch here is seeing any of them actually COMPLETED.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Blue Dragon will be released in America around August or later. Nobody will buy it accept us. Also, the 360's popularity in Japan will go back to the way it was, until Blue Dragon 2 comes out.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Habbo 4, while entertaining, will fail to live up to the standards of its predecessors.

...was I right?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Shadow Hog wrote:A good, non-episodic point & click adventure in the vein of the old LucasArts games is either announced or actually released.
Ever heard of Ankh? It's pretty good and harder than those adventures usually are nowadays.

Don't fear the episodic adventures of Sam & Max though. They are very very good. Kinda easy, but really funny.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Shadow Hog wrote:Capcom announces a <i>Mega Man</i> game that ISN'T that DS <i>Battle Network</i> knock-off. With any luck, it'd be <i>ZX 2</i> or out-and-out <i>Mega Man 9</i> (seeing as it's been TEN FREAKING YEARS since <i>Mega Man 8</i>, and <i>Mega Man & Bass</i> doesn't count), or hell, even <i>Legends 3</i> - I don't care, just get me more things to shoot in 2D. Capcom's utter silence on the <i>Mega Man</i> front might be a good thing, considering all the original titles they've been putting out lately (<i>Dead Rising</i>, <i>Lost Planet</i>, <i>Okami</i>, etc.), but by no means do I want to see the classics abandoned.
http://www.rockmanpm.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.0
^ It's actually called "Rockman ZX: Advent", but your predictions were accurate enough. Unfortunately, there are also rumblings of a Ryuusei no Rockman 2--pretty funny since nobody outside of Japan has even gotten the FIRST one.

ALSO, I predict two things:

- SEGA will announce a port of SONIC 2006 to the Wii in hopes of making up for piss-poor sales. People begin to groan due to the bugs that plagued the original, along with the whole "lol Wii doesn't haev graphicks powarz" argyment, but then Nintendo forces SEGA to fix all those stupid bugs, ultimately resulting in a BETTER version of the original.

- The financial successes of TMNT and TRANSFORMERS will prompt some random director to try and do a new "GhostBusters" movie. (Hey, someone's already working on a new game.)[/i]

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I don't think that we can expect that much from Nintendo just yet...but who knows?

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

BlazeHedgehog wrote: - Duke Nukem Forever finally starts showing signs of possibily coming out eventually. Maybe.

It's already finished, they're just waiting for the Phantom to be released so it can be a launch title. >_0

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Yami CJMErl wrote:http://www.rockmanpm.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.0
^ It's actually called "Rockman ZX: Advent", but your predictions were accurate enough. Unfortunately, there are also rumblings of a Ryuusei no Rockman 2--pretty funny since nobody outside of Japan has even gotten the FIRST one.

ALSO, I predict two things:

- SEGA will announce a port of SONIC 2006 to the Wii in hopes of making up for piss-poor sales. People begin to groan due to the bugs that plagued the original, along with the whole "lol Wii doesn't haev graphicks powarz" argyment, but then Nintendo forces SEGA to fix all those stupid bugs, ultimately resulting in a BETTER version of the original.

- The financial successes of TMNT and TRANSFORMERS will prompt some random director to try and do a new "GhostBusters" movie. (Hey, someone's already working on a new game.)[/i]
First off, the Rockman ZX Advent thing was just the name of part of the 20th anniversary celebration, the first part being Ryuusei no Rockman themed.

Second off, predicting something and wishing for something are completely different.
And if you honestly believe that first prediction I will punch you in the face over the internet.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, this thread isn't so much "predictions" as it is "things that will never fucking happen no matter how much the poster wants it to".

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Segaholic2 wrote:Yeah, this thread isn't so much "predictions" as it is "things that will never fucking happen no matter how much the poster wants it to".
In that case, I predict that Rez 2 will ship with $35,000 worth of acid in the box.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Plorpus III wrote:First off, the Rockman ZX Advent thing was just the name of part of the 20th anniversary celebration, the first part being Ryuusei no Rockman themed.
Point is, they're STILL making a ZX2, which means that Shadow Hog was right (to a point) about one of his "predictions".
Plorpus III wrote:Second off, predicting something and wishing for something are completely different.
And if you honestly believe that first prediction I will punch you in the face over the internet.
Oh yes, because the Internet is such SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Segaholic2 already said what I would have said in reply to this, anyway.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sonic and the Secret Rings will be mostly competent, but not exceptional. Nevertheless, fans will flock to it the way they did to Sonic Rush, and it will prove to be the biggest success for the franchise since Sonic Adventure 2, but will not be exceptional in execution or presentation to be more than a passing curiosity to anybody not already a fan of the franchise. Fans on the other hand, will be incredibly greatful to have a "B" game after six years of "D"s and "C"s.

Grant

Post by Grant »

The plot for the next Mario game involves Mario being baked into a cake. Although he's able to eat his way out, it doesn't help his diabetes.

Forum admin Nate Tsui wakes up one day thinking he's grown a clitoris, but it just turns out to be a cute boil.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Yami CJMErl wrote:
Plorpus III wrote:First off, the Rockman ZX Advent thing was just the name of part of the 20th anniversary celebration, the first part being Ryuusei no Rockman themed.
Point is, they're STILL making a ZX2, which means that Shadow Hog was right (to a point) about one of his "predictions".
While I agree that they will probably make another ZX game at some point, like I said, it was never announced.
Just nitpicking.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Amazing Grant wrote:Forum admin Nate Tsui wakes up one day thinking he's grown a clitoris, but it just turns out to be a cute boil.
Forums poster Grant Pardee gets banned.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Plorpus III wrote:While I agree that they will probably make another ZX game at some point, like I said, it was never announced.
Just nitpicking.
orly?
Rockman Perfect Memories wrote:I guess that the secret Jaxel told us weeks ago can be spread now. It's true that a new ZX will be in development, as was told by a Capcom correspondant. This is turning out to be a true game announcement afterall, but can be confirmed with more details. We'll keep you updated when more info arrives.
Atomic Fire wrote:EDIT: My bad. The interpretation of the report is that the so-called Rockman ZX Advent will serve as the second title continuing the celebration of Rockman's 20th anniversary (Ryuusei was the first). No actual word on a Ryuusei 2, though honestly I doubt it's out of the question, just too early to consider.

EDIT2 (Splash): Well, it's official. Several news sites report that the logo was found at EG (no news report, only the logo), and it looks a little bit like this.
Given that there's no "2" in the title, we still can't say for sure if it's a direct sequel of ZX headed for the DS, or if it might be a spin-off title for another platform.
Rockman Undersquare wrote:UPDATE: It seems that RockMan ZX Advent is indeed a new game. Word has it that Capcom informed quite a few people about this previously, but they were under a secrecy agreement until the WHF unveiling.

Nitpicking has no power over hard evidence.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Yeah, yeah, I get it. At the time I wrote it it wasn't confirmed and certain reliable sites seemed positive it was a mistake.