Nights Wii? :o

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
VGJustice

Nights Wii? :o

Post by VGJustice »

So, I heard this rumor (and it's not much more than that, a rumor) about a sequel to Nights on the Wii.

Read here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/753/753174p1.html

Anyone else hear about this? Probably not much more info to be had I'm guessing. I can't get too excited about this since I havn't played Nights, but I'm sure someone else here could appreciate this.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

There's been rumours about this ever since the controller was revealed and they're pretty much completely baseless, although I wouldn't be too shocked if it did actually happen.

The thing is though....why would anyone honestly care now? At this point it seems Sonic team can't be trusted with anything whatsoever anymore....the thought of a worthy NiGHTS sequel being produced is almost laughable.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Now that I think of it, for the first time I too find myself in favor of NiGHTS staying dead. I'm afraid of what might happen to it in the hands of the current Sonic Team. This is a weird position to be in!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

James McGeachie wrote: The thing is though....why would anyone honestly care now? At this point it seems Sonic team can't be trusted with anything whatsoever anymore....the thought of a worthy NiGHTS sequel being produced is almost laughable.
The earliest rumours suggested the game would be developed by Yuji Naka at Prope. I think a few of the rumours hinted that he started work on the game in April 2006 and that it wouldn't be ready until the end of 2007.

In past interviews, Naka has always maintained that he wouldn't want to release a sequel unless he had enough time to perfect it. Such comments are somewhat reassuring, but, of course, they could just be PR speak.

^_^

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I would say something, but by saying that, i've probably already placed a seed of minor wonder in some one's mind.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Oh, hey, look, a NiGHTS sequel rumor. That's new.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, has anyone been able to emulate the Saturn in all its glory?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's called SSF.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Delphine wrote:Oh, hey, look, a NiGHTS sequel rumor. That's new.
Yeah, I know. Crazy, huh?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I would actually be really surprised if they didn't make a Nights game for the Wii. It's not like Sega is reluctant to haul out the Nights license, even if they haven't made an out and out sequel yet.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

One Classy Bloke wrote:I would say something, but by saying that, i've probably already placed a seed of minor wonder in some one's mind.
Please stop saying this.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Aw, his whole "lol i works at the Sega" thing is kinda charming.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Popcorn wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:I would say something, but by saying that, i've probably already placed a seed of minor wonder in some one's mind.
Please stop saying this.
Alright, there is a NiGHTS 2 as it turns out.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

How about some proof.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

See? Charming!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I agree that it is pretty much guaranteed to suck if it was true.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I think that the game will have to live up to unrealistic expectations, although it'd handle really well on the Wii if they did it correctly.

Grant

Post by Grant »

If Prope developed NiGHTS, as big_smile suggests, that would give me a bit more hope for it. At least more so than the current roster of Sonic Team.

As far as I understand it, Prope is more or less independent, right? They're partially funded by Sega and get first dibs on publishing (according to wikipedia), but otherwise are they essentially just another third party?

What I'm getting at is if Sega would be willing to do that, and it were successful, then why not give the rights of the main Sonic franchise to a more trusted developer? A team like Prope or Artoon or (this would never happen but) Treasure?

Is it a cost cutting thing or is it a brand thing? If its a brand thing, what good does the name Sonic Team hold anyhow? Casual gamers don't care and its lost respect among the hardcore. If its a cost cutting thing, since Sonic 06 sold so abysmally, wouldn't that justify paying an outside developer a bit more to rejuvenate your flagship franchise?

Maybe I'm asking a bunch of n00bish questions, but I guess I don't get it and I'd like to.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Maybe. But I doubt the likes of Artoon or Traveller's Tales could fair much better. This is the part where I sneer.

Sonic has lost an incredible amount of face over the last five years. It will take quite a game to even begin to repair the damage.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I agree that it is pretty much guaranteed to suck if it was true.
I think that the game will have to live up to unrealistic expectations
I've seen some whopper amounts of flak get heaved onto parties responsible for things that originated from Sonic Team from this place before. Sometimes agreeing with it, sometimes not. But this...this, frankly, is stunning.

These are two cases of people seriously kidding themselves. Guaranteed to suck? Please, no one's that omniscient. Your guess as good as anybody's who would develop such a game among the laundry list of possibilites. I do concede that the pickings may seem slim and Iizuka following up on his little promise back in '04 and taking the responsibility would be cause to sweat big time, but i'm not entirely certain yet that the current Sonic Team is a lost cause and Prope's potential is another mystery. Much less do we at all know what the game would be like or what platform it'd be for.

Unrealistic expectations? I wouldn't know how artistically brilliant it was from never playing it, but you can't tell me the chances of a sequel being any fun or solid are as low as "unrealistic". That's just being ignorant and too fixated/paranoid about maintaining the integrity of one game. There has not been a NiGHTS sequel yet, therefore they haven't had the chance to prove us wrong.

Folks, NiGHTS is a freaking video game. Proudly declaring that its' currently nonexistant sequel (nonexistant as far as the general public can tell) can't possibly entertain and succeed if developed by any party and/or if it's even slightly dissapointing sounds distinctly like a fanboy mentality, no matter how you planned on putting it. If you can't even work up a shred of optimism towards a best- or acceptable-case scenario - and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about that - then no, I guess you shouldn't care.

One more thing bothers me: Since when did this "please, oh please don't make NiGHTS 2" concensus, to this degree, spring forth? Before or after Sonic Next?
One Classy Bloke wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
Please stop saying this.
Alright, there is a NiGHTS 2 as it turns out.
Um, dude, I know this is funny, but only given the correct timing. Yours needs work.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Before, prolly around Shadow or its announcement. Heroes sucked, sure, but Shadow pretty much showed that they'd completely lost it.

I still wonder who the hell thought that game was a good idea.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Flash I admire your spirit. And now that I reflect on it, I would much rather they at least tried to make a Nights 2 then never doing so at all. Even if said game is wretched beyond compare, it won't detract from the brilliance that is the original. The same goes for Sonic Next. It's a terrible game of course, but I still am glad that Sonic hasn't gone the way of the dinosaur just yet. There's always hope that those in charge will begin to realize the egregious effects of their choices. No one wants to make bad games.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:Before, prolly around Shadow or its announcement. Heroes sucked, sure, but Shadow pretty much showed that they'd completely lost it.

I still wonder who the hell thought that game was a good idea.
It showed me that Iizuka'd lost it. Then when I played it, it showed me that he'd really lost it as a level designer. And a script writer. And most of the other many roles he's listed in the credits for. That the game managed to be fun anyway is a bit impressive.

(Kind of off-subject here, but with Next, we didn't dodge the bullet altogether...he's in the credits under Special Thanks for both the game and SoA staff.)

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sadly, Iizuka was pretty prominent in the first <i>NiGHTS</i>... although he still seemed to be decent back then, it would seem.

I'd kinda like to see more long chains like that of Frozen Bell part 1, myself. There are other areas which you can get pretty long Link scores, but the sheer size of some of the chains you can get there is insane... I'd like to see more of that in a sequel. Maybe make them somewhat less obvious, but there nevertheless? Kinda like how anyone can play a <i>Sonic</i> or <i>Mario</i> game with no problem, but experts know precisely where to jump or where they're going, due to the extra intimacy with the level layouts. Nothing where you're punished for not knowing the level layout like a lot of these new <i>Sonic</i> games, but certainly rewarded for knowing it.

Oh, and Leaderboards, too, for the love of God. It's worked for pretty much every Xbox 360 game in existence, so why not here?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Personally, I stopped feeling good about a possible NiGHTS sequel the moment Oshima left Sega. The first game's seemed like such a personal project of his that I'd actually feel kind of sad if someone else tried to take his place.

Obviously, that sadness would be somewhat reduced if they managed to not fuck it up.