Presents

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Frieza2000 wrote:4 pairs of pants and a 3 day weekend.
Steaksauce!

I got a whole lot of games and movies and 5 days away from my work place. Y'know...purgatory. But I'm back here now...hey if you guys have any messages for Satan and his imps let me know. They work in the next cube over.

By the way, isn't Elite Beat Agents like the best fkin game ever for the DS?!?!??!?!

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

I got exactly what I wanted. Nothing at all.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Most of my presents were to me from me. I recently came into some money, so I spoiled myself a bit this year, which made up for last year's lackluster Christmas..

-Ps2 slim console
-SSX 3 (GCN) -used-
-Tony Hawk Underground 2 (GCN)
-The Brak Show Vol. 1
-Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law Vol. 2
-Sonic X: Project Shadow DVD (yes, i bought a 4Kids product. ugh.)
-Rachet and Clank (Ps2)
-Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (Ps2)
-white button-shirt from Kohl's

Presents from my sis:

-Crash Twinsanity (Ps2)
-Breakdown (XBox) best. game. ever.
-Nacho Libre DVD (corn in the eye. lawlz.)
-electric toothbrush

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I got lots and lots of DVDs and some money. This is the first Christmas in years that I haven't received anything video game related.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Isambard wrote:By the way, isn't Elite Beat Agents like the best fkin game ever for the DS?!?!??!?!
It was until it became the inspiration for that coat hanger abortion of a sentence.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Elite Beat Agents seemed really confusing from what little I've played of the demo. Is the full version easier to understand?

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

yes

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

It was until it became the inspiration for that coat hanger abortion of a sentence.
There are some people who deserve the right to choose what is for them. You are not one of them. Go back to the corner.

Okay so anyway, Elite Beat isn't so hard. It looks confusing but it's pretty easy to execute. It's kind of like Guitar Hero in that you look really impressive when you play even if you're goofing up alot. It's more about precise control than other games of the genre...and to be honest, to have something like it in a handheld is quite satisfying.

Not that I've had much time to play it since I've been sucked into FFXII and FFIII for about two weeks now, sucking what meager sunlight I can out of my drives to work before heading into the deepest recesses of the Earth; working my dark magics.

Hail Satan!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The confusing aspect of EBA is best summed up like this:

Question: How many "beats" away is the yellow note in the middle?
Answer: Four

Question: How many "beats" away is the yellow note in the middle?
Answer: Uh... circle?

In games like, say, DDR or Guitar Hero, you hit a particular note whenever a symbol scrolls over a line. It's very easy to judge how many "beats" away a note is -- you just look and see how many spaces away it is from the line.

But in EBA, all the notes are represented by their own individual circles which appear on screen and then gradually shrink. You hit a particular note whenever a circle has shrunk to the same size as the number inside it. This makes it kind of confusing at first, because it's hard to look at a big circle and figure out exactly how many "beats" away that note is. But eventually you get a feel for the circle sizes and it becomes less of a problem.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

I guess it's just a different experience for everyone. I know plenty of people who play Guitar Hero and have trouble measuring what time a song is in and find it very simple to follow a shrinking circle by comparison.

And Guitar Hero is far less forgiving when it comes to hitting at the right time. The game is more about precision of notes and less about "feel." Whereas, and this may just be me, Elite Beat makes me move more according to the song than to colored circles assaulting me from up above.

And the problem with the GH franchise at this point is that they're assuming everyone mastered the first Guitar Hero, so GH2 is trying to make your fingers bleed. I love it anyway, though, so don't think I'm hating.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I guess Guitar Hero essentially reads the same way as regular sheet music parts... only sideways, and in 3D. If you know how to read music it's easy to make the transition. That's probably why I find it easier to get a feel for.

Elite Beat Agents, on the other hand, has it's own completely unique system with no earthly analog. You've got to learn from scratch, and if you're used to reading music it really takes a bit of practice to get a feel for circle sizes and their relative relation to passing time.

But you should. Because Elite Beat Agents is awesome.