World's Most Entertaining Blackout

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

World's Most Entertaining Blackout

Post by Zeta »

If you have a Wii, you need Elebits. Imagine being in a house from the Sims, with the Gravity Gun from Half-Life. Now imagine that you can use EVERYTHING in the house like you could in real life. You can toast bread, open every door, sort clothing, make coffee, go through underwear drawers. This game sounds cool enough as it is, but as you search every nook and cranny for tiny electric fairies which power up your gun to the point where you can toss pianos around with impunity - it's just genius.

This game is what you would have if you took the Sims, Katamari Damacy, and Pikmin all together and had them make sweet sweet love with eachother. I want to play every level until my eyes bleed. Nothing can describe the joy one experiences when shaking a vase, trying to unearth a secret cache of mobile electricity. Some levels are more tricky than others, requiring that you use finesse - either not breaking so many objects or keeping the noise down. It adds a surprising amount of depth to the gameplay. As the game progesses, more mutant species of Elebits will show up with different behavior patterns. Normal, Skittsh and Loud, Running, Farting, Flying, Merging.

Plus, there's plenty to unlock, too. You can make your own levels, and you can get new items for the level editor by getting high scores in every mission. Finding 3 Pink Elebits in each stage will bestow upon you Eternal Mode. Which is exactly what it was in Katamari Damacy.

I've played about 5 of the titles for the Wii, but out of all of them, Elebits not only makes the best use of the controller, but it's clearly something very special.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Ahh, another one of them weird japanese games with no genres to call their own, but has enough status to be enjoyable. I'll look into it once I grab a Wii.

I've been hearing each level moves about in a very Katamari Damacy pace, no?

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

another one of them weird japanese games
It kind of strikes me as funny when people refer to games with original concepts like these as 'THOSE CRAZY, BIZARRE, OFF-THE-HOOK JAPANESE GAMES!'. Maybe I'm in the minority but when I see a title like this now I don't even think of the fact it's Japanese or wierd, just something like "this looks creative and full of ideas".

Anyway I've been interested in Elebits since it was first shown but does it really have that level of depth as far as interactivity with object goes? When I read about the fact object weights are practically non-existent and everything floats at the same speed and doesn't break it put me off somewhat but it's good to know at least there's more than just picking up stuff and throwing it around then.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

James McGeachie wrote:It kind of strikes me as funny when people refer to games with original concepts like these as 'THOSE CRAZY, BIZARRE, OFF-THE-HOOK JAPANESE GAMES!'. Maybe I'm in the minority but when I see a title like this now I don't even think of the fact it's Japanese or wierd, just something like "this looks creative and full of ideas".
I don't mean "weird" as a bad thing. I happen to like anything that takes ideas out of the box and successfully make an enjoyable game with it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

James McGeachie wrote:
another one of them weird japanese games
It kind of strikes me as funny when people refer to games with original concepts like these as 'THOSE CRAZY, BIZARRE, OFF-THE-HOOK JAPANESE GAMES!'.
It's a good thing nobody here said that, then.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

If you look at the Katamary Damacy intro... well, that is kinda CRAZY, BIZARRE. At least to me it is.