A "Hot Shelter" in more ways than one

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

A "Hot Shelter" in more ways than one

Post by Zeta »

I purchased Sonic Adventure DX used. The game still holds up surprisingly well over the years, particularly Sonic's parts. Evne the graphics hold up well, with the models only slightly being improved (Only notable change is tat the characters now have fingers instead of blocks with lines). Eggman looks laughable, however, since he doesn't really move even when speaking. Also, it's nice to be able to use all 3 Chao Gardens without worrying about them constantly drowning in the Egg Carrier.

Anyways, while playing Hot Shelter, I noticed Eggman has a gallery of art near the beginning. Specifically that of muscley nude male torsos.

The implications are brain imploding.

On another note, on all the Game Gear ports, they deleted "Zone" from the name of every stage. Like it was a bad word or something. Enjoy playing in the "Marble".

Neo

Re: A "Hot Shelter" in more ways than one

Post by Neo »

Zeta wrote:On another note, on all the Game Gear ports, they deleted "Zone" from the name of every stage. Like it was a bad word or something. Enjoy playing in the "Marble".
Erm, what?

The Game Gear games aren't 'ports', they're emulated. Shoddily emulated, at that. The games are completely identical (save for bugs in the emulator) as the originals.

Furthermore, there isn't even a Marble Zone in any of the Game Gear titles, save for Sonic Drift. What on earth are you on about?

Anyway, congratulations (?) on purchasing the game, have fun getting the balloon with three super high jumps using the ski slope. Or something.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: A "Hot Shelter" in more ways than one

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:Anyways, while playing Hot Shelter, I noticed Eggman has a gallery of art near the beginning. Specifically that of muscley nude male torsos.
Get Amy to stand on the empty podium and she does a little posey wobbley animation. I think it's the only place in the game where that happens.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I was playing Sonic 360 yesterday night and just kept getting astounded at how bad it was. Also, the music (and lack of it during cutscenes) was terrible. So I loaded up the Sonic Adventure soundtrack in the 360 playlist and started playing to that, and things seemed almost better. Then I realized that the gameplay, mechanics, and level design were still God-awful.

Basically it made me want to play Sonic Adventure again.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Speaking of Sonic games, I recently picked up Sonic Riders since it's retail price went down to 20 bucks. I have to say I'm quite pleased with it. It's overall quality can be comparable to Sonic Battle; that is, even though it's not an exceptional game, it's pretty well thought out, satisfying, and fun.

I've looked around the 'net and it seems people complain about it's difficulty... and yeah, I guess they're right, because it's got a steep difficulty curve. But, once you master the controls (and you do that by becoming familiar with the difficult Mission Mode which forces you to try out new things you never would have thought to do before), every story mode racetrack becomes a cinch, and it truly feels like I'm so awesome for being able to breeze through these tracks that gave me so much trouble before. The difficulty can be comparable to other UGA games like Space Channel 5 or Rez. As in, it's easy to pick up, but difficult to master, but mastering it gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Playing as Knuckles in Mission Mode sucks though.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I have to agree with Poison Eggroll; Sonic Riders is the most entertaining Sonic game in a long while. And though that might not mean too much, it is definitely worth the $20.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

My biggest complaint with Sonic Riders is that you have pit deaths in a racing game.
Erm, what?

The Game Gear games aren't 'ports', they're emulated. Shoddily emulated, at that. The games are completely identical (save for bugs in the emulator) as the originals.
Are you sure? Because I was playing Sonic 1 GG, and the first two levels were named "Green Hill" and "Bridge", with a space in the introductory names where "Zone" should be. Where the gameas always like that?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

The pits in Riders aren't anything to get your panties in a twist about. There's no fewer bottomless pits in the average Mario Kart game.

The Star Road track in MK Double Dash is considerably more frustrating compared to the Babylon Garden level in Riders, if you ask me. Which you didn't.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

My biggest complaint with Sonic Riders is that you have pit deaths in a racing game.
Unlike <i>Mario Kart</i> (as mentioned), <i>F-Zero</i>, <i>WipEout</i> (kinda)...
Are you sure? Because I was playing Sonic 1 GG, and the first two levels were named "Green Hill" and "Bridge", with a space in the introductory names where "Zone" should be. Where the gameas always like that?
The first Game Gear game WAS like that if memory serves, yes.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

What's wrong with Riders is that the balance is out of alignment everywhere you look. It's got weird controls so it's not immedeately accessible, yet once you're used to them the game becomes way, way, way too easy. Multiple difficulty levels would've fixed that. There are 54 gears, though (as I discovered while exhaustively researching the game mechanics) there are too many that are an un-useable level of suck and too many that are too powerful. Buy the Heavy Bike, and then there'll be no excuse to use anything else for competitive reasons except for a "challenge". Super Sonic, who is supposed to be the most broken invincible character in the game for what you have to go through to unlock him, is crippled so badly that he's instead the worst character in the game.

It's fun and fairly solid, but the lack of common sense used in the design will get to you eventually, and once everything's unlocked and bought from the shop, the replay value dies faster than flies.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Last year I bought a Gamecube just to get Sonic Adventure DX, never was able to get it and got stuck with Pokemon coloseum, the best of the third Pokemon generation games. After it came Shadow of Darkness that really make me think to get a DS and Digimon world DS…and I just might, when I get some extra money.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

FlashTHD wrote:It's fun and fairly solid, but the lack of common sense used in the design will get to you eventually, and once everything's unlocked and bought from the shop, the replay value dies faster than flies.
Make more friends.

Friends make even Fusion Frenzy have replay value.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:It's fun and fairly solid, but the lack of common sense used in the design will get to you eventually, and once everything's unlocked and bought from the shop, the replay value dies faster than flies.
Make more friends.

Friends make even Fusion Frenzy have replay value.
That's a given. Any functional multiplayer adds something. But when that's all that's left...

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yeah. Multiplayer would be great IF the controls were easy enough for someone to get it in their first game.

PS2 racing game? Micro Machines V4. That's the best racing game ever. I don't even mind the intimacy invasion of playing with two people on each controller.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Arcade wrote:Last year I bought a Gamecube just to get Sonic Adventure DX, never was able to get it and got stuck with Pokemon coloseum, the best of the third Pokemon generation games. After it came Shadow of Darkness that really make me think to get a DS and Digimon world DS…and I just might, when I get some extra money.
Do you know what a Sonic game is? BAH! BAH-I SAY!

So anyway, to ask a dumb question, what's an easy DS/Advance game for a moderate gamer to play? I'm looking for gift ideas and I want to get Sonic involved with my friends circle without, y'know, damaging my reputation by giving out a crappy game.

I damage my reputation through other means.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Sonic Rush has quite the reputation of not sucking at all. Not even a little.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'd go with Advance 1. Not only would Rush be pretty frustrating for a beginner (final boss, Altitude Limit), but I found the level design to be boring despite the multiple routes and didn't care for the whole "you can't go backwards or you die," idea or the Megaman style "is that a lower path or a death pit," quandary. The embarrassingly bad story might also reflect poorly upon you.

Advance 1 borrows heavily from the Genesis games, much to its advantage over the other Gameboy games. It's mediocre, but if your friends have never played a Sonic game before or haven't played one in a long time they'd probably enjoy everything but the special stages.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Go for that SAdv1/Pinball Party budget price combo cart that came out last year if any of them like pinball sims. SPP is anything but easy (warn them about the story mode's potential to leave indelible mark on one's sanity), but a fantastic time killer and good solid fun too.

Do these pals of yours not have any consoles? 'Cause, then i'd spring for Sonic Mega Collection unless there's a reason it has to be something portable.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Actually 'tis the season for the DS. Almost everyone is getting one that I know is getting one and I'm wanting to provide some Sonic fun for them. Everyone needs at least one good platformer, regardless of what system you own. I stopped at Sonic Adventure since it has slaked my lust for speedy platformers; and probably will continue to do so until God comes.

And thanks for the suggestions. You are all scholars and gentlemen.

Unless you don't like me. Then you're just scholars.

And if you hate me you're just a douche.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Does the DS/GBA suggesstion have to be Sonic-based? Because I can think of a couple of good DS games that are decent for moderate gamers.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I recently downloaded the SA:DX demo to check it out and it ended up being the most fun I'd had with a Sonic game since... SA:DX. I'd reccomend the SAdv1/Pinball Party combo as well. Good stuff, that.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Isambard wrote:
Arcade wrote:Last year I bought a Gamecube just to get Sonic Adventure DX, never was able to get it and got stuck with Pokemon coloseum, the best of the third Pokemon generation games. After it came Shadow of Darkness that really make me think to get a DS and Digimon world DS…and I just might, when I get some extra money.
Do you know what a Sonic game is? BAH! BAH-I SAY!
The DS is winning the console war in Japan... so I’m just getting it to play Digimon world DS and the legend of Mana game that’s not a remake.

Have to go, I may have a chance to get used Dreamcast games...bye!!

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Frieza2000 wrote:I'd go with Advance 1. Not only would Rush be pretty frustrating for a beginner (final boss, Altitude Limit), but I found the level design to be boring despite the multiple routes and didn't care for the whole "you can't go backwards or you die," idea or the Megaman style "is that a lower path or a death pit," quandary. The embarrassingly bad story might also reflect poorly upon you.

Advance 1 borrows heavily from the Genesis games, much to its advantage over the other Gameboy games. It's mediocre, but if your friends have never played a Sonic game before or haven't played one in a long time they'd probably enjoy everything but the special stages.
You know, I think I should probably just be quiet more often; Frieza manages to say everything I'd want to more coherently and reasonably than I could in the first place.

In other words, I agree wholeheartedly, and will return to panicking over where my copy of Sonic Advance is.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'd actually replayed Advance 1 recently because of how you defended it, and that map of the final stage you posted. It was quite a bit better than I remembered, especially with a back-lit screen. I still prefer the gamegear games though.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yeah. Triple Trouble can kick Advance 1 on its tiny little balls anytime.