From Mii to Mii Friends

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CE

From Mii to Mii Friends

Post by CE »

Let's be sharing Wii Friend codes! I'll start:

8743 3120 8203 4219
Last edited by CE on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

IF I HAD A WII I WOULD *SOB*

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I have plenty of Wii for everybody!

4169 2733 8043 3714

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Hey CE, when I try to add you, I get a "This Wii Number is incorrect" message.

THIS IS ME:

7021 4747 2543 3333

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hello, World!

2405 6443 8136 8268

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

These Miis are pretty badass, but I fear they're never going to be utilized for anything beyond Wii Sports. I don't understand how the "travelling" feature is meant to work. Do they just roam randomly into other Wiis connected to the network?

Speaking of Wii Sports, it makes a good pack-in game. Which is to say it demonstrates the unique features of the console and is engaging enough for a single 1-2 hour sitting the first time you power on and then you never feel compelled to play it ever again. Bowling is the only thing that feels as solid as I guess it's meant to. The rest leave you with the same kind of impression you get after playing an Eye Toy game, all like "stupid detection."

I think I've also been having more fun than I'm supposed to spinning the globe in the Weather channel.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

So is playing the Zelda with the Wii controller alone worth buying the console for at this stage? 'Cause I still don't have one, and I can just, y'know, get Zelda on Gamecube for two hundred pounds cheaper.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Apparently WarioWare is going to make use of them, and that "Wii Play" game probably does too.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Animal Crossing Wii should really use Miis.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I haven't played Zelda yet. I assume the Wii controller doesn't do much other than facilitate quicker menu navigation and perhaps a smoother bow mechanism. As I understand it, the game isn't even graphically enhanced over the Cube version, but the widescreen is a big draw for me. I'll sit down to start it either tonight or tomorrow so I'll post some thoughts then.

Wii Play was one of the launch games in Japan (Hajimete no Wii) and doesn't look any more engaging than Wii Sports. I predict a "Wii Sports / Wii Play" double disc pack-in by Christmas that in 15 years will become as common on the market as the Super Mario / Duck Hunt cartridge which I believe can be transformed into bongs or something. Elebits looks cool, though.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Having just finished Zelda, I can say that a couple of the heart piece challenges would've been intensely frustrating with normal controls, especially one involving heavy first person perspective use in Castle Town. On that note, yeah, the bow/slingshot/other first person items interface is a lot more fluid, and was worth it, along with the easier menu interface (at least for me). Also, the spin attack being shifted to shaking the nunchuck controller really made it a great deal more useful, and I ended up using it a lot throughout the game, something I didn't do in either Wind Waker or Orcarina of Time. I actually played a little WW the other day to compare and had to fight the urge to shake the controller to attack. It really is the best implementation of the Wii controls I've experienced in a game so far. The fishing is also pretty fun, if you're into that.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wii Play and Wii Sports should've been packed in from the beginning, because as far as I can tell, it's one 14 minigame combination that was wrenched in two somewhere along the line.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Here's my code:

2425 5171 9507 1294

Isn't the Wii Play/remote combo pack only like $10 more than a remote by itself? If so I'm pretty sure I'll snag it when it comes out.

At the very least, the Miis will be used in Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wario Ware. I imagine they'll also be used in Wii Music. After that, who knows!

GG: When your Miis are set to "mingle", they will randomly show up in the "Mii Parades" of everyone on your friend's list, and vice versa. If you see a Mii you like in the parade, you can haul him out and add him to your regular Mii list.

I imagine this feature is only really interesting if you have a ton of people on your friend's list. As it is now, if I make a Mii I want my friends to see I just send it to them manually.

Popcorn: Your Zelda decision really comes down to how you to take to the motion-combat controls.

All of the other changes made in the Wii version are undeniably an improvement. Widescreen is obviously nice to have. And aiming your various projectile weapons is much, much easier with the remote -- especially when you are trying to use them on horseback. Like using a mouse instead of joystick, you can aim and fire much quicker, which means you're spending less time letting your horse drive itself while you're trying to shoot things.

But the combat system... well, it's not really better or worse. It's just different. You might like it more, or you might like it less. It just comes down to what kind of motor input you and your brain are more comfortable with. Neither system is quicker or more accurate, neither system lets you do any moves you couldn't do with the other.

Personally, I prefer the gesture interface. The movement recognition is really accurate, and the gestures you use are subtle and not at all tiring or tedious. My brain also likes the direct correlation between my movements and the results on screen... I find it easier to remember and utilize all the different moves this way than I did when they were all various combinations of button presses. (For example, to thrust your shield forward, you... thrust your left hand forward. For a move that you barely ever use, that's a lot easier to remember than a button combo.)

So yeah, I like it more. But if you like it less then you should definitely get the Cube version. The other improvements aren't worth making the combat annoying.
Last edited by Esrever on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'm pretty sure <i>Zelda</i> has since replaced <i>ExciteTruck</i> as the demo game in GameStops across the country (I've seen at least two EB Games, one in New York state and one just around my home town, have it as such), so just try it there.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So why haven't any of you dinglefuckers registered me yet? It's not like I'm going to send you stupid annoying messages every day for the rest of your life or anything. Maybe.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I added all of you cunts that posted your numbers, so make sure to add me too.

My code is: 1772 3246 1003 5686.

Happy wiiiiii

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Monkey Ball is decent. The tilting mechanic is much more natural with the Wii remote than it is with a normal D-stick. (The experience is not altogether dissimilar, I imagine, from using the banana joystick of the original coin-op, though alas, I've never had the opportunity to try that.) Board structure is alot more straightforward and simplistic, I guess to cope with the less accurate interface. Compared to the wild structures of Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (granted, 2 leaned more toward the bullshit difficult side), it's downright bland.

This may sound like a weird complaint, but it feels a bit too organic. The mechanical rigidity of the original games gave them a unique sort of surreal, almost heady ambience. It feels like something's missing without the pinpoint precision requirement. Cosmetic features such as palmtrees clutter the boards and kind of take away from the thrill of balancing precariously on floating platforms above humongous chasms of infinite abyssal doom. This isn't helped by the saccharine art direction, which has been a problem with the series since the first sequel, but has now reached a breaking point. (Also, the addition of boss fights was a piss poor idea.)

Despite the aesthetic and structural devolution, it's an oddly comfortable game to play and it retains the "just one more try" appeal that drove us to persevere through the original games long beyond the point of any reasonable human tolerance.

Either way, the 1P game only seems to have been thrown in to justify the Monkey Ball license, because it's obvious that the emphasis is on the expansive party mode. I only played one alien shooting game and quit out of boredom halfway through, but maybe it's funner if you actually have people (and extra controllers) to play with.

Anyway, now that the novelty factor has worn off, I'm looking forward to starting Zelda and seeing how they utilize the ritzy interface in a game of substance.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'm surprised you mention this in here and not the general Wii topic, but I'll put it this way.

Midna's kinda hot. Only kinda, but still. I'm sure those of us who've beaten the game will understand how so, more than others would.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Midna's kinda hot. Only kinda, but still. I'm sure those of us who've beaten the game will understand how so, more than others would.
She's goth!Zelda. Admitedly, with a more enganging personality, but still . . .
I only played one alien shooting game and quit out of boredom halfway through, but maybe it's funner if you actually have people (and extra controllers) to play with.
It is, but a lot of the minigames still have shit controls. Sometimes so bad you wish you could delete them from the list so you wouldn't accidentally play them anymore. Really, only 25 of the minigames seem to have any real value. Most of them end up with players going "The controls aren't working right. I don't understand".

Most of them flat out aren't intuitive, working against the whole point of the affair. Like the ring toss minigames - you aim the hight and direction using the control, then hold down the A button, then you randomly swing the control to launch - but it only works if you let go of the A button at just the right time. Wouldn't it have been more fun to make the rings respond to the force and position of the Wiimote by themselves, instead of forcing you to use them in an awkward aiming system? It's not even more accurate, as the rings and frisbees bounce around of insane non-sensical physics anyways.

And don't even get me started on parachute drop. SMB:BB is definately a bargain buy. I don't regret getting it, I just regret spending 30 bucks more than I should have in the purchase.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I don't have a Wii, but I completed Zelda on the GameCube and I've gotta say, some of the best fun I've had on that console in a long while.

To compare, I went to EB Games and played the Zelda demo on the Wii. It was a bit disorienting doing everything in reverse, and shooting arrows was a little hard to master at first, but once I got the hang of it, I had just as much fun.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Some of the multiplayer games in Monkeyball are a lot of fun, but about half of them are excruciatingly bad. This isn't really a problem once you get to know which ones are and aren't worth playing, but the sheer act of working your way through all 50 minigames once just to find the 20 or so good ones is aggravating.

Some of the games work fine but aren't any fun. Some of them could have been fun, but the motion detection is implemented too poorly.

My personal favourites are the ones that fail because they use completely contradictory elements of the Wii controller at the same time... like Whack a Mole. It uses the remote's pointer to determine how far it is from the TV, while ALSO using the motion sensor to determine when you're hitting moles. Hey, Sega, guess what? The Wii can't keep track of where the pointer is aiming if I have to keep shaking the fucker!

But some of the games are fun! Unfortunately, even when you've learned which ones are, you still have to cycle through this gigantic list of games just to get to them. It's especially annoying because they're all lumped into one big alphabetical list, instead of sorted into any kind of logical categories. It's very easy to forget the names of the games you liked... you can recognize them by their icons, but that involves scrolling through the full 50-game list one game at a time until you find it.

It's a shame, because there's still plenty of good games in there. They'd have been better off cutting the number down to 20 and chucking all the filler.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I started Zelda. I haven't progressed very far yet, but so far it's suitably engaging. My only immediate complaint is the fairy cursor, which is distracting and, so far, unnecessary. The actual swordfighting is not so precise as I was expecting... you really just kind of wiggle the stick aimlessly and Link slashes around exactly as he would if you were mashing an action button. I don't think there was any reason to mirror the game at all. Using the slingshot is super smooth and good dirty fun. Item management is a bit confusing, but I assume I'll get into the swing of it as soon as I can train my thumb to locate the - and + buttons without looking down.

One quirk I hadn't predicted but that quickly made itself apparent is the lack of any camera control. I frequently find my right thumb probing air for a nonexistent right control stick. Interestingly, I seem to intuitively swing the controller around to view my surroundings, but that doesn't do anything except sling the useless fairy cursor around. I think Nintendo may have discovered the fabled solution to 3D action game cameras if they had actually implemented it instead of the stupid fairy.

The game actually doesn't look that great - it's a bit monochromatic and the textures are, frankly, awful. The music is pleasant but forgettable - I hope Kondo is enjoying his early retirement.

Anyway, despite the expected rough pockets, it's very smooth and fun so far. The characters are well modelled and animated - they're more facially expressive than ever. Structurally everything's in place, but even Wind Waker was strong until the second dungeon or so, so we shall see what we shall see.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The actual swordfighting is not so precise as I was expecting... you really just kind of wiggle the stick aimlessly and Link slashes around exactly as he would if you were mashing an action button. I don't think there was any reason to mirror the game at all.
Wholeheartedly agreed. Makes no fucking sense to me. It's not like Link mimics your sword actions at all, swinging the Wiimote is just the same a s pushing a button.
Structurally everything's in place, but even Wind Waker was strong until the second dungeon or so, so we shall see what we shall see.

The game gets really fast-paced after Dungeon 4. Basically it just starts slinging you from dungeon to dungeon like crazy. Dungeon three is the most difficult I've played so far. But the water dungeons always are because the raising the water puzzles are always a bitch. Everything that follows is almost welcomely more easy and entertaining.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, the water dungeon didn't really confuse me that much. I'd say the seventh dungeon was considerably more imposing, confusing, and at least one puzzle I had to use a FAQ for (which pointed out that yes, stupid, you can use a hookshot to dangle downward off that thing - should've figured that one out myself...).

Of course, once I cleared that, I was pretty much as good as done, given how quickly the remaining dungeons came by.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, there's very little breathing time in between dungeons in this one. They're all pretty much open for business after a quick trip to the bar.