From Mii to Mii Friends

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

I explored Hyrule Castle Town after the third dungeon, when the giant barrier is up. I only found one person who actually realized that shit was going down at the Castle: The Goron who sells arrows at the observation deck in south-eastern Castle Town square (Wii version). Everyone else is just asking "Why can't I go to Castle?". I would've actually liked it if the people of Castle Town fled in terror when the barrier went up, preferably to Kakariko. Not only would that be a nice nod to OoT, but would also make up for Kakariko sucking for the first half of the adventure.

The Gerudo = Twili theory makes sense on every count, aside from why it would have happened. The Gerudo weren't involved in Ganondorf's schemes in OoT (aside from Koume/Kotaki), so it wouldn't have been for that. The 'creation story' shown in Lake Hylia seems to suggest that this all happened a long time ago, certainly more than the 100 year gap between Ocarina and this game. I'd buy this theory if it weren't for the fact that we currently have no reason to expect the Gerudo to have been banished.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Well, their King was an insane jackass. I could buy that the rulers at the time decided that since their leaders were freaks who tried to get the Triforce, they should all be locked away. I mean, they were already sort of skating on thin ice because they were a tribe of bandits. Then it's discovered their king tried to take over the world by desecrating the land of the gods? I could see some royalty using that as an excuse to shove them off into a pocket dimension.
I explored Hyrule Castle Town after the third dungeon, when the giant barrier is up. I only found one person who actually realized that shit was going down at the Castle: The Goron who sells arrows at the observation deck in south-eastern Castle Town square (Wii version). Everyone else is just asking "Why can't I go to Castle?". I would've actually liked it if the people of Castle Town fled in terror when the barrier went up, preferably to Kakariko. Not only would that be a nice nod to OoT, but would also make up for Kakariko sucking for the first half of the adventure.
Anyway you look at it, the writing for a lot of the NPCs in this game makes little sense considering the events of the game.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:Really? If the towns and sidequests and "character interaction" had played any larger a roll, I probably would have gotten bored and quit playing just like I did in windwaker.
The key would for them to be completely optional, like the trading sequences in Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games or the pictograph side quest in Wind Waker and most of the mask missions in Majora's Mask. Adventure games like Zelda always benefit from a bit of breathing space. The Wind Waker failed by making so many of its side-quests (ie, the Triforce hunt) mandatory.

It's almost criminal that Twilight Princess didn't at least have any jousting or horse-based mini-games.

Don't get me wrong, Twilight Princess is without a doubt excellent and the dungeons and bosses* are probably the best the series has ever seen, but the few notable steps backwards are enough to make it fall short of perfection.

*Bosses! If only they could be replayed in some kind of Majora's Mask sense or Sonic Adventure 2 endurance style.
Zeta wrote:Also, I'm annoyed at how many people aren't getting the Gerudo = Twili thing just because no one out and out states it in the game when there are so many fucking hints throughout the game that this is the case. Everything Twili related is located in the deserted Gerudo desert, the Twili and the Gerudo have the exact same histories, and the leader of the Twili has all the facial features associated with the Gerudo. Their response? "Oh well, the Gerudo are hiding somewhere in the desert where you can't see them." Sure. :roll:
The tribe that was banished to the Twilight Realm had attempted (and seemingly failed) to take control of the Sacred Realm and the Triforce within it.

Though Zelda lore is convoluted and contradictory in places, one thing that has stuck is that the Triforce was hidden away safely in the Sacred Realm until Ganondorf touched it and it fell into the hands of the people of Hyrule.

As such it makes a lot more sense for the Twili's ancestors' banishment to have happened long before Ocarina of Time and Ganondorf touching the Triforce.

Ganondorf's words with Midna just before the boss fight also suggest that there is no connection between the Twili and the Gerudo.

"Your people have long amused me, Midna. To defy the gods with such petty magic,
only to be cast aside... How very pathetic.
Pathetic as they were, though, they served me well. Their anguish was my
nourishment.
Their hatred bled across the void and awakened me. I drew deep in it and grew
strong again.
Your people had some skill, to be sure...but they lacked true power.
The kind of absolute power that those chosen by the gods wield.
He who wields such power would make a suitable king for this world, don't you
think?"

Besides, Telma is seemingly a Gerudo, right? Or at least part Gerudo?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Now that I've finished the game, I think my chief complaint with the game is that there are only like three items you use throughout the entire thing - the sword, the shield, and the arrows. Most every other item you get is only really useful in the dungeon you get it, and usually useless in the overworld. This could've been fixed, but it seems like they did it conciously to focus on swordplay, something I have mixed feelings about.

For instance, in Ocarina of time, you could defeat enemies in a number of ways. Sword, boomerang, hammer, arrows, slingshot.

In TP, most of the enemies are as a rule - immune to anything but sword and arrows. Some you can damage with the mace, but it's too slow to be useful in most cases. The slingshot becomes worthless the moment you pick it up, and the Spinner would've had great potential if only it didn't wind down every time. Similarly, Epona becomes useless after the third dungeon, and you only have her past the second. The hookshot does jack squat to enemies. The Dominion Rod was barely useful at all.

Basically, it seems like everything in this game was built around the sword, and the arrows combat-wise. In Ocarina, you could pretty much make up your own combat style using a variety of different weapons. In TP, it's sword and bow throughout the entire affair. Everything else doesn't really ever work as viable weapon, or does no damage whatsoever despite the fact that it obviously should.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Zeta wrote:Now that I've finished the game, I think my chief complaint with the game is that there are only like three items you use throughout the entire thing - the sword, the shield, and the arrows.
I think the Clawshot was used fairly well throughout the game via climbing puzzles here and there, if not in combat. I'm with you on the Spinner, though. I could ride that thing for miles.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

The Spinner would've been great, even with the slowing down, if there were little tracks all over the place that let you keep up the speed. For instance, walking around Hyrule field, the odd tree should have tracks going around it for you to attach to, gain some speed, and then release. Before you slowed down too much, you should've been able to get close enough to a rock with tracks on it to gain speed again, etc. The thing with the Spinner is you can only ever use it in places where you need it; If useless tracks were just put all over the place for no purpose other than to let you use the Spinner for travel, then it would have been a fun item.

CE

Post by CE »

Edited. My Wii code is actually 8743 3120 8203 4219.

Oops!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I just got one and I'm still getting the hang of it. I'll put up my friend code after I figure out how to get to it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Go to messages (bottom right hand corner) and then to the address book. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure that out. :/

Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah. I think I'm the only one that gets a kick out of sending stupid Wii messages (as you all know by now; I think everyone's received at least one 'heyyyy gurrrl' from me)

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I still don't have Wi-fi up at my house. I'm debating if it's worth it just for my Wii (and maybe a labtop/XBox 360 in the future). I might do it once good online games start appearing. Although it would be nice to download some more VC games.

I do seem pretty introcentric today. I'll post my Wii friend code if I decide to get it online though.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Grant, what happened to your name?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Posting this from the Wii browser took 12 minutes.
5159 4847 6777 6394

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

jenkins wrote:Grant, what happened to your name?
He is no longer amazing!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Nor exclaiming "Bah! Humbot!" anymore...

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Grant looks so cuddly-wuddly cute in that avatar of his!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Grant has superseded any conventional definition of amazing, and can now simply be called Grant, as the title 'The Amazing' would be redundant, and because it would only belittle the amount of awesome that is contained within Grant.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think someone has a crush.

Grant

Post by Grant »

That might be so, but you can't fault the man for stating fact.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Oh yeah? Well smoking is bad for you!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So are neckbeards, for that matter.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Light Speed wrote:I think someone has a crush.
It's guy love. Totally different.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I'm thinking of getting the Cube version of Twilight Princess, other than the control interface, is there any great difference between it and the Wii version?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Just the fact that the GCN and Wii versions are basically mirrors of each other (Wii's right is GCN's left).

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

Meh

2647 5718 3617 4109