Dragon Quest IX confirmed for DS (it's not a spin off)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
James McGeachie

Dragon Quest IX confirmed for DS (it's not a spin off)

Post by James McGeachie »

Wierdest news I've seen in a while.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=10248#comments
We knew that Square-Enix was holding a press conference today in Japan. We also knew that they were going to talk about a new Dragon Quest game. Dragon Quest VIII was the last main adventure, which was released for the PS2. Many people were hoping that the next true Dragon Quest would go to the Wii. Well, it is indeed going to Nintendo…but instead of the Wii, it will be for the DS! Development is being handled by Level 5, and the game will also feature 4 player co-op and wifi play! The team would love to have the game out sometime in 2007.

Now I'm not a massive Dragon Quest fan so this probably affects others here more, but this really strikes me as an odd thing to happen. Square Enix seemed like one of the developers that'd be content in releasing "spin off" titles on Nintendo systems while pushing their main franchise sequels on the PS3. To have the latest instalment in arguably their biggest Japanese franchise on not just a Nintendo system, but a handheld? Hard to believe...at least nowadays, though of course 10 years ago this would've been a different matter.

Anyway the game itself looks interesting I guess. The gameplay screenshot suggests perhaps a change to real time combat based on the fact there's multiple characters attacking at once, which I'd welcome since I found VIII to be an amazingly stale experience. 4 player co-op and online sounds like it could have a lot of potential if it's done right and not just some multiplayer minigame rubbish.

The subtitle is "Defender of the Stars" apparently. A video of some of the conference can be found here

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Wow, that's actually pretty cool looking! Maybe I should get a DS...

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Dragon Quest usually goes the current most popular system in Japan.

Guess which one it is?(hint: it's not the ps2 anymore)

I guess it is safe to say that this is the final nail on the PSP coffin in Japan. I forsee a huge drop of 3rd party support for the handheld and FFVII:Crisis Core(assuming that it actually comes out) to be its swan song.

James McGeachie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aAoSkV5Kc4

Here's an interesting gameplay video showing off the 4 player co-op. Combat is indeed real time and looking rather simplistic, though I assume this is early stages and not a real representation of how deep the system goes.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I am pretty annoyed that they're changing the formula to a co-op oriented action RPG. Not that I dont love action RPGs, I just don't think they should apply that genre to a canon entry of the series.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Ngangbius wrote:Dragon Quest usually goes the current most popular system in Japan.

Guess which one it is?(hint: it's not the ps2 anymore)

I guess it is safe to say that this is the final nail on the PSP coffin in Japan. I forsee a huge drop of 3rd party support for the handheld and FFVII:Crisis Core(assuming that it actually comes out) to be its swan song.

Name one instance where Nintendo has ever been toppled from their handheld throne and I will show you a dark age where ravenous wolves preyed upon the faithful and the wood were filled with darkness and the gnashing of teeth.

Or I'll just read you an exerpt from Dante.

Still, news about Dragon Quest does excite me since it's multiplayer. I loves me some multiplayer action-RPG. Who wouldn't love approaching green slimes and attacking them for 8? HAH!

Edit: Oh and who the hell is FoxDarkStalker? They don't already own a DS?! Someone please poke them in the eye with a fork.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

You know, the fact that it's on the DS doesn't really weird me out, it's the fact that it's an ACTION-RPG of all things. Not that it wont be good or anything.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Sounds strange, but then again I thought FFXII was going to be trash when I heard "MMO-style combat," and I'd be hard pressed to say that it isn't my favorite one now (as my 112 hour save file can attest to).

We'll have to wait and see.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Segaholic2 wrote:I am pretty annoyed that they're changing the formula to a co-op oriented action RPG. Not that I dont love action RPGs, I just don't think they should apply that genre to a canon entry of the series.
Yeah, I think this is the more controversial decision than the platform change. After 20 years of a series being seeped in turn-based tradition all of a sudden they went the PSO route? I'm not sure what to think of the battle system. I wonder how will this affect single-player mode?
Isambard wrote:Name one instance where Nintendo has ever been toppled from their handheld throne and I will show you a dark age where ravenous wolves preyed upon the faithful and the wood were filled with darkness and the gnashing of teeth.

Or I'll just read you an exerpt from Dante.
Not being totally toppled, but before the advent of Nintendogs, the PSP had been kicking the DS's metal rear saleswise in all three major territories. There were also a lot of positive buzz on the PSP, on how it was superior to DS, etc.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So the PSP was "kicking arse" for four months, then? In Japan, the PSP launched in December 2004. Nintendogs came out only four months later than that.

DS and PSP sales were about equal in North America in 2005, in that they were both equally poor. But that was when the GBA was outselling both of them combined. Since then, DS sales have gone up and PSP sales have gone down. The PSP has never really taken the lead in the handheld market, saleswise, except possibly in Europe (prior to the DS lite launch.)

It's really amazing how, despite having a pretty good piece of hardware and a ton of positive hype, Sony has not managed to find much success with the PSP. I wonder if they'll ever manage to turn it around.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The higher price is probably a big factor. It tried to be a lesser Ipod, but without the ability to play standard file formats it's not very useful.

Rolken

Post by Rolken »

They're closer these days, at $130 v $200; with the PSP being unable to justify a 50% price gap, it'll be interesting to see the PS3 try to justify a 160% price gap.

Also what happened to Dragon Quest being the traditional series that toes the nostalgia line and sells zillions for it?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Also this is another reason I'm glad I bought my DS Lite a few months back.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This is the biggest "Fuck You, Sony" I've ever seen.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Speaking of Sony bash...

I'm sure you've all seen this already, but I'm going to post it anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxIWUKM0hQ&eurl=

And the PSP, while somehow superior to DS (if by that you mean clunky...then yes), having more RAM or processing power means very little if the programming language you're using is far, far too complex. Sony has always made difficult hardware for developers, unlike MS who knows how to key in for developers, and Nintendo (who kind of...y'know...publish software on the hardware they create).

Sony has a long history of difficult-to-program-for Hardware platforms, starting with their very first system.

So yes, sing praises to the powerhouse handheld system, but never forget the tried and true: developers win console wars.

I am pissed about the Neo Geo pocket though, that was a fun-ass system that Nintendo killed.

Edit: Oh and on the whole RPG to Action-RPG thing...how many people thought that Final Fantasy: Tactics was going to be ruined because of the change of direction they took with the franchise? I mean...it turned out to be one of the better games of the license.

But I'll only go so far as to say that if you disagree with me, you are simply wrong. And we must all live with that.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

A better, more direct analogy would be comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

James McGeachie

Segaholic2 wrote:A better, more direct analogy would be comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.
Though the reality with that is from the beginning it was "just a spin off." I think even Square Enix would've thought of it that way during development...or at least in any case there's no way they thought it deserved as much special treatment as their next main instalment in the franchise did. On the other hand this Dragon Quest is their next numbered instalment and I've already seen Yuji Horii saying that it's definitely being treated with this in mind.

I just realised earlier that this marks the third Dragon Quest project currently in develpment for a Nintendo system...with them all scheduled for 2007 release. It kind of hit me as overkill thinking about it, especially since Akira Toriyama is doing the art for all 3 of them I think...he must be seriously overworked at the moment.
It's really amazing how, despite having a pretty good piece of hardware and a ton of positive hype, Sony has not managed to find much success with the PSP. I wonder if they'll ever manage to turn it around.
I really can't understand it either. In 2004 I was expecting them to have unprecedented success and for the DS to barely scrape by sales wise....now I'm seeing Brain Training outselling Vice City Stories in the UK charts....if anyone explained that situation to me 2 years ago I would've probably laughed in their face.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, I guess it isn't really THAT big a mystery why it isn't doing well. The games all blow.

OK, not ALL of them, but still... I can't believe that there are so few decent games for a Sony system that is nearly two years old. Sure it's hard to program for, but so was the PS2. Usually developers just seem to suck it up because it's Sony. But with the PSP everyone is really phoning it in, aren't they?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

A lack of quality software couldn't be the tipping point, because it's not like the DS has an astouding selection unless you consider Kirby's Nutsac Rolloball 6 essential.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Green Gibbon! wrote:A lack of quality software couldn't be the tipping point, because it's not like the DS has an astouding selection unless you consider Kirby's Nutsac Rolloball 6 essential.
The fact of the 80 dollar difference in price, the lack of many good games (and even the good ones are getting ported over to the PS2), all the extra cash for the parts (memory sticks, good sound, analog adaptors...) and the fact that the games take so long to load/are expensive/can be easily damaged are all tipping points.

The fact is that the DS is representing a system that can be used for anyone at any age, and the PSP just came tacked with too much price and "gadget" software. Do I really want to watch single-format movies on a 2 inch screen? ...Don't I have a laptop/portable DVD player for that?

Do I ever really have 2 hours to kill with a handheld for a whole movie?

Plus, I don't know about you, but I've gotten plenty of play time out of my DS. It's probably the system I go to the most anyone for game time. It's got very interesting things it's doing with the touch pad system in games, and even Sudoku is addictive. It's got solid platformers, and the ability to play previous generation handheld games in the form of the advance are superior to the PSP. So given that the DS has a huge library of games ready from the get go is something dangerous for Sony to approach.

Oh and it has Castlevania. Annnnd Mario...and soon enough: Zelda. But yea, nothing epic...sure...but it's a friggen handheld :P just kill my bus ride and leave the "epic" titles for the HD consoles.

James McGeachie

Green Gibbon! wrote:A lack of quality software couldn't be the tipping point, because it's not like the DS has an astouding selection unless you consider Kirby's Nutsac Rolloball 6 essential.
That's purely opinion and depends entirely on your definition of "astounding". There's a diverse range of titles on DS offering lots of different experiences, many of which are very fresh and unlike anything you can experience on a console. If you thirst for only the latest 60 hour epic, then I guess you're out of luck, but if you're after a good quantity of games that offer huge amounts of fun in short bursts, then I think you can say there's a pretty damn good selection.

Then again, for the type of gamer who refuses to play a game like say, Phoenix Wright, simply because it's not the original Japanese copy of the game on GBA, then I can understand that very few systems must offer an "astounding collection" anyway.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, I'm glad you guys noticed my huge rant about the lack of "epic" software on the DS. I was worried that argument would get passed over.

I'm just saying, I don't think either system has a leg-up in terms of game selection. At the moment I actually own twice as many games for my PSP (a whopping total of 4), but there's really nothing spectacular on either one except for Lumines.

If this thread devolves into a system war I'm going to delete the whole thing.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

The PSP isn't faultering because of the lack or quality of games. It's because people are not buying the games, which I assume due to them being more expensive than DS games, and plus people are choosing the PS2 versions of certain games over the PSP ports. The price of the hardware is another issue, though it seems to be selling 'okay' in the U.S. despite being outsold by the GBA and DS.

Oh and back to DQ9. After the surrealistic announcement, I'm a bit more excited for this game--especially seeing that Level 5 is back and Horii promised a decent single player mode.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Ur DS and PSP r not 4 shizzle!!! D0wn w1th DS 4nd PSP! Gamegearz 4 life +2!!!!!111

No but seriously, it's just a lack of quality developers making games for the PSP, and the fact that I'm looking for different genres. Saying the DS is better than PSP is like saying "Day time is better than night time!" Both just offer different venues for different folks.

...Did I mention Zelda?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Isambard wrote:
The fact of the 80 dollar difference in price, the lack of many good games (and even the good ones are getting ported over to the PS2), all the extra cash for the parts (memory sticks, good sound, analog adaptors...) and the fact that the games take so long to load/are expensive/can be easily damaged are all tipping points.

The fact is that the DS is representing a system that can be used for anyone at any age, and the PSP just came tacked with too much price and "gadget" software. Do I really want to watch single-format movies on a 2 inch screen? ...Don't I have a laptop/portable DVD player for that?

Do I ever really have 2 hours to kill with a handheld for a whole movie?

Plus, I don't know about you, but I've gotten plenty of play time out of my DS. It's probably the system I go to the most anyone for game time. It's got very interesting things it's doing with the touch pad system in games, and even Sudoku is addictive. It's got solid platformers, and the ability to play previous generation handheld games in the form of the advance are superior to the PSP. So given that the DS has a huge library of games ready from the get go is something dangerous for Sony to approach.

Oh and it has Castlevania. Annnnd Mario...and soon enough: Zelda. But yea, nothing epic...sure...but it's a friggen handheld :P just kill my bus ride and leave the "epic" titles for the HD consoles.
Then explain why people watch movies in their damn cell phones, because they have a even smaller screen...