I finally got a copy of Christmas NiGHTS

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

I finally got a copy of Christmas NiGHTS

Post by plasticwingsband »

Just in time for the holidays, too. All I had to do was write a paper for my buddy, and in exchange he said he'd give me the game. And he did.

How are things around here? I kinda forgot about this place but I guess I un-forgot it cause here I am! I am currently playing FFXII, a game which has really impressed me. I am currently just past the 100 hour mark and I don't think I'll be putting the game down anytime soon.

So, what's the haps?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Here's a true story.

Several years ago, I loaned my copy of Christmas NiGHTS to Johnny "Sonikku" Wallbank, the guy who made Sonic Robo Blast and Sonic Robo Blast 2, a couple of fangames that still follow a mysterious sort of following. After that, we fell out-- in a big way. And he never did send me that copy of Christmas NiGHTS back.

I think Martin still plays WoW with him.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Wow you guys lived near each other or something?

Christmas nights, I wish SEGA gave us more presents like that.

For a mini game it was quite fun, specially the Reala Gift.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

See if Martin will do the assassin thing for you, Popcorn - not returning Christmas NiGHTS? That's a pretty serious offense. I seem to remember GG! stating he'd lick a public restroom clean before giving up his copy.

I bought Christmas NiGHTS on Ebay in 2001 for more money than I care to admit, but it was definitely worth it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I have both the US and Japanese versions, meself. The US one is first hand merchandise. I might still have the issue of Next Gen I bought it with.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I've been unable to track down a US version. I do have a Japanese version thanks to the awesomeness of G.Silv, though.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

more money than I care to admit
I found 'Holic's copy in Japan for roughly 40 cents.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How much did you sell it to him for?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I got it for a dollar at a blockbuster.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I got it for free at Blockbuster.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

There's a US version? Did they dub the movies?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yes, and the narrator is awful.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

If I remember correctly the cut scenes are narrated in English by some woman.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I like her. Her smile is <i>audible</i>.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

So... have Saturn emulators evolved to the point that NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS are actually playable yet?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Is there a transcription of the narration up somewhere? I got the gist of it, but always wondered what the details were.

I was delightfully surprised when I tossed it into my unmodded American Saturn and everything worked, except for the unlockable movie clips. Did anybody else try that?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Pepperidge wrote:So... have Saturn emulators evolved to the point that NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS are actually playable yet?
Yes. I hear SSF runs it fairly well, but you need a pretty hardcore PC to run that. It's quite playable on Cassini as well, but if I recall correctly, it accelerates the music for no good reason, and it gives you the most sadistic screeching sound effect at the stage intro screen. That, and I think it has issues with loading the cutscenes, but you can bypass those by rapidly pressing the start button. This issue might have been fixed, though I can't really check at the moment.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I have said beefy computer, and yes, SSF runs <i>NiGHTS</i> really well, with one problem: I can run most games at full speed, but <i>NiGHTS</i> seems to want to have some minor slowdown regardless, even with Frame Skip enabled. It's hardly game-breaking or anything (no, the fact you're playing it on a <b>keyboard</b> might be more so than anything else).

<i>Christmas NiGHTS</i> SHOULD work, although I don't know if I've actually tried in a good long while.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There's a US version?
It was distributed with the December '96 issues of Game Players and Next Generation, but only newsstand copies as I recall. Unlike the Japanese version, it doesn't come in a jewel case but a cheap cardboard slip.

I actually only just played the Japanese version for the first time a few days ago on SSF. It's just a little too slow to be playable on my computer, but my rig is pansy. While we're on the subject, can anyone get Sonic R to play on it? For me it just kind of chuckles condescendingly and tells me to go fuck myself.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yes.

However, that person was not me. In fact, I tried it immediately after, and lo and behold... nope, not working that well. It's working BETTER now that I updated to the original version in the sense that the menus now work, more or less, and the race actually starts kinda. The problem comes when the track is being displayed - it glitches up like mad and the framerate would make Saturn <i>DOOM</i> cry.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

So it only took me a couple runs to unlock everything but Reala, but I'm still really digging it. I like Elliot's first course, because it has pretty awesome link opportunities. Link Attack mode is also a fun diversion, and I like finally being able to check the status of my A-Lifes.

Anyway it was a good trade because that paper was way easy.

Saturnman

Post by Saturnman »

Xmas Nights is almost better than the full Nights game. :lol: