Argghh... no wonder Nintendo changed the name

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
firemario1001

Argghh... no wonder Nintendo changed the name

Post by firemario1001 »

So Yoshi's Island 2 .... sorry, Yoshi's Island DS came out last week and I've pretty much beaten the game now save for getting 100% on all the levels.

Artoon didn't do a bad job with this to be honest. They managed to get the control down rather well, and the level design is fairly unlinear, with many branching paths often taken with the different babies.

However, the game feels really unpolished, specifically with the graphics. For some reason, Artoon decided to keep the crayon-styled backgrounds, but opted to use for traditional stlyed graphics for the sprites. The result is this contrast between the styles that really makes the game just an unfocused mess. And what's really terrible is that alot of sprites seem to be missing a lot of animation - especially when characters are turning around.

The music is just terrible. The overall theme is catchy, but most of the arrangements are just too quiet and melo-dramatic. The worst song sadly is the Castle theme. The original game's castle theme had a very moody and almost gothic theme, this theme uses almost entirely percussion intruments and is... happy. Theres nothing for bizzare than to be surrounded by lava and spikes and to have to hear something straight out of a children's low budget TV Show to accomply it.

So yeah, what does everyone else think about it?

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I didn't like the fact that spikes could kill you instantly by touching the side. Of the PLATFORM THAT THEY'RE ON. Nowhere else is this more abundantly clear than the Extra 1 stage, where you have to roll a bunch of Chomp Rocks across the damn stage. I can't even get through that one yet. (I'm one of those guys who must get 100% on every level of the World before moving on to the next, with requisite exceptions; I haven't even started 2-2 yet.)

I do agree that the Castle theme from Yoshi's Island kicked ass--this one is just way too chipper.

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

I also liked the Castle theme of the original...damn the original was such a perfect game...

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

A lot of people really hate the blank spot between the 2 screens.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

What could you expect about a game that has a baby donkey Kong as a ally of baby Mario? That’s just wrong...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

The Doc wrote:(I'm one of those guys who must get 100% on every level of the World before moving on to the next, with requisite exceptions; I haven't even started 2-2 yet.)
My god, how do you even enjoy this game? It'd be ruined for me if I tried shit like that. It took me months to get 100% on the original (and months more of procrastination).

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I think now is a good time to mention that back in the 80s, before Mario moved with his brother Luigui to start the “plumbersâ€￾ business, Donkey and Mario where roomies. Until Donkey had an overdose, believed he was King Kong, and kidnapped Mario girlfriend.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Has "Mario is a plumber from Brooklyn" ever actually been a plot element of any of the Mario games? And if so, what was Baby Mario doing in the original Yoshi's Island?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

According to the end of Yoshi's Island 1, both Mario and Luigi were "born" to a nameless human couple IN the Mushroom Kingdom.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:Has "Mario is a plumber from Brooklyn" ever actually been a plot element of any of the Mario games?
As far as I'm aware, no. That's Mario's "Mobius".

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Yeah, the only places where the Brooklyn thing has ever been relevant is in the cartoons in the 80's and 90's, and in the Super Mario Bros. movie.

And really, I think these new babies are just an excuse by Nintendo to get some new characters in for the sports and party games.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

According to the end of Yoshi's Island 1, both Mario and Luigi were "born" to a nameless human couple IN the Mushroom Kingdom.
That was also the game making Luigi and Mario twins despite them having Mario as notably older in every game before that, so I see that as a retcon. Not that the plot of any Mario game has been really important.

The T

Post by The T »

I always say it as... since the stork delivered them, maybe Mario was physically born a year or two before Luigi, but they both got delivered at the same time, making them "twins"...

It's Mario, it doesn't have to make sense.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:That was also the game making Luigi and Mario twins despite them having Mario as notably older in every game before that, so I see that as a retcon.
Originally they were identical, except for the colour of their clothes, so the "young" Luigi is the retcon if anything. Not that being taller and slimmer necessarily equates to being younger anyway.

http://www.jmpc.com/Starcade/Starimages ... obros1.gif

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Shigeru Miyamoto is one confusing prick, isn't he?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So, I heard this game is an actual challenge, unlike Super Princess Peach and NSMB. Is this true?

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Yes, mostly because they took out the item inventory system that helped you a lot in the original.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The Doc wrote:Shigeru Miyamoto is one confusing prick, isn't he?
Luigi Japanese name means, “Copyâ€￾, how weird is that?.

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

For evil creatures, they sure look cheery.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ngangbius wrote:So, I heard this game is an actual challenge, unlike Super Princess Peach and NSMB. Is this true?
No, please try to read the whole tread before posting...

cjmcray

Re: Argghh... no wonder Nintendo changed the name

Post by cjmcray »

I thought this topic was an explanation of why Sonic WildFire is now 'Sonic & The Secret Rings'

Anyone know?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I do believe they ran into some copyright problems and had to change the name as it was already taken. I do believe so. In Europe I believe I do.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

They could've just gone the <i>Starfox</i> route.

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

LOL, Starwing. :p What's next, Elite!? Oh wait...

Radrappy wrote:I do believe they ran into some copyright problems and had to change the name as it was already taken. I do believe so. In Europe I believe I do.
That would make sense, as it would be a kickass name for a DnB label.