Wiiiii!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Wiiiii!

Post by Squirrelknight »

It's good.

Discuss.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

My arm is sore. I think I'm using it too hard. I'm playing with my boyfriend's Wii. It's nice. We had to check about 5 different stores till we found one. I got one too, but I'm saving it till Christmas.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Zeta wrote:My arm is sore. I think I'm using it too hard. I'm playing with my boyfriend's Wii.
*snicker*

Okay, I'm done.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I had assumed that was intentional.

What games did it launch with? Zelda's not out yet, is it?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Yeah, it launched with Zelda.

I gotta admit I want it-- but do I really wanna buy a new console for what is not only a port of a Gamecube game, but a port of a Gamecube game that is also available on Gamecube? I'm not convinced the new control scheme alone is sufficient to warrant the additional moolah. Although it has been too long since I've basked in that new-console glow...

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

To those who have the Wii, how's the qualty of the Wiimote speaker? Is it cell-phone quality? Higher? Lower?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So how is Zelda, then? Not that I think anyone here would bother to get both versions, but a comparison would be nice.

I'd also like to hear some thoughts on Rayman.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

We won't get any comparisions until the GCN version is released sometime in December.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So how is Zelda, then? Not that I think anyone here would bother to get both versions, but a comparison would be nice.
According to the box, the only differences is that the Wii Zelda is in widescreen, and is flipped so that Link is right handed. Also, the controls, too of course.
I'd also like to hear some thoughts on Rayman.
It's actually Wario Ware with Rayman and bunnies, instead of an actual Rayman platformer.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So... so why would they make Link left-handed in one version and right in the other?
It's actually Wario Ware with Rayman and bunnies, instead of an actual Rayman platformer.
That's a disappoinment. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be Rayman 4.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Tthey mirrored the entire game so that it would feel more natural to swing the sword for right handed players. Mirroring obviously allowed them to do this without having to go through the effort of actually editing the models and cutscenes, because God forbid they do that in a year's extra development time.

Also Rayman was headed up by Michael Ancel so it's certainly a "true" Rayman game. They were originally developing it as a platformer but they realised early on they'd rather make a game that they felt was more suited to the Wii and decided a party game gave them the most freedom for experimentation with different control schemes.
To those who have the Wii, how's the qualty of the Wiimote speaker? Is it cell-phone quality? Higher? Lower?
Matt Cassamassina compared it to a "Hallmark card", though I have no idea what that is, from what I heard of it in videos it seems to have pretty piss poor audio quality, which was expected.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That's a disappoinment. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be Rayman 4.
It was, but it seems they drastically changed the focus in the last 3 months of development from a platformer with minigame challenges to a minigame title with one or two platforming sequences.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Wait, so... the entire game is mirrored? Like the level design and everything?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Apparently, every single aspect is mirrored, even the cut-scenes.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Eh, frankly I'm still sticking with Gamecube Zelda, no less due to lack of patience since I won't be getting a Wii anytime soon. I don't buy new game consoles until at least a year, that and I don't have the money.

James McGeachie wrote:Matt Cassamassina compared it to a "Hallmark card", though I have no idea what that is, from what I heard of it in videos it seems to have pretty piss poor audio quality, which was expected.
But is the Wii-mote any good? Anyone?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

big_smile wrote:Apparently, every single aspect is mirrored, even the cut-scenes.
Ahahahaha, this is one of the most profoundly lazy things I've ever heard of in game development.

WW

Post by WW »

The Wiimote has worked graet for me, just takes about 5 minutes to get used to it.

So far, Zelda on the Wii = Bliss.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I don't even understand why they did it. If righty is good enough for lefties, why not vice-versa? It's hand preference discrimination!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I got one, but I'm running through Okami and have serious ADD when it comes to adventure games so I passed on Zelda (for now) and got Monkey Ball instead. I did the wait-in-line bit for mine (the local store didn't take preorders but was scheduled to recieve 75 units), which I expected to be a lot of fun with tons of multiplayer DS action going on, but it was really too cold for that.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

How's Monkeyball? I always considered picking up a copy of one of the series but never got around to it. Is it a good introduction to rolling n00bs?

Heroic One

Post by Heroic One »

Are there any downloadable/purchaseable/however that worksable old school games available yet?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yes, there's a list around here somewhere. Super Mario 64, Mario Bros, Ristar, Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog are a few that come to mind.

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

[quote="James McGeachie"]
Matt Cassamassina compared it to a "Hallmark card"/quote]

Those little talking greeting cards that use a piezo speaker. DAMN. That is shitty audio.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

The sound quality on the Wii-mote is alright; the speaker is pretty much only used for minor sound effects (the clang of your sword hitting something in Zelda, for instance, or the swing of your raquet in Wii Sports)... It's pretty loud and it does help simulate the feel that the remote is actually controlling your sword or raquet swing.

Zelda... it's well, a Zelda game, which pretty much means it's good. I'm still not too far into it, but so far it's been awesome, and it may even eclipse Ocarina of Time. I'll wait until I get farther into the game before I say anything else.

And yeah, when you first start playing the Wii, there's a tendency to overcompensate with your swings and gestures, but you adjust pretty quickly. Or, if you're the stubborn type, you can just tone down the sensitivity in the menu.

I'm liking my Wii alot. I've pretty much had a game-induced hard-on ever since I turned it on.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I've never played a Monkey Ball before, actually, but it seems to be working for me. Wii Sports gives me the feeling that I don't really know what I'm doing, what with all the excess motion, and all the things that you DON'T have control over (like aiming in Golf, moving in Tennis, etc), so I wanted something where I can just get the hang of maneuvering with the controller itself. It's pretty fun too, so, y'know, got that going for it. It's got a nice aesthetic and you can tell it's an AV game, the announcer guy is the same as in F-Zero GX. :D