SONIC 2006 DELAYED

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

SONIC 2006 DELAYED

Post by Radrappy »

saints be praised. They state that the only reason for dely is for downloadable content though. That kind of sucks.

"the reason being SEGA needs a little more time to incorporate downloadable content. This should include anything from actual stages to items, though SEGA has not officially commented on what.

So while Sonic fans will need to wait a few extra weeks, the good news is that downloadable content will show up on day one. Aside from the reason mentioned above, there's nothing else keeping Sonic's PS3 debut from realization before 2007. And while SEGA has yet to nail a street date, chances of it coming out early December seem high."

Anyone else have any kind of hope?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Re: SONIC 2006 DELAYED

Post by Cuckooguy »

Radrappy wrote:Anyone else have any kind of hope?
No.

Actually, I'm quite indifferent about this delay.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Posting news with a quote of the source but no link to it does not make you look cool.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

From what I saw on IGN, isn't it just the PS3 version that's being delayed?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744914p1.html

I didn't think anyone would care neo, If I copied the actual news here. and isn't this news EXCITING???

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Radrappy wrote:http://ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744914p1.html

I didn't think anyone would care neo, If I copied the actual news here. and isn't this news EXCITING???
If it means fixing the game to perfection yes.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Delay just for downloadable contents? Pah, what does it matter right now? I don't have any plans to get either an XBox 360 or a PS3.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I just had an interesting and disturbing realization. We could be seeing downloadable patches to fix the bad controls and level glitches. While that might sound like good news in the short term it could signal the beginning of the trend in the PC gaming world of carelessly releasing buggy games with the intention of fixing them later, a prophecy Gibs made sometime last year.

I'm finding myself turned off by the concept of downloadable content in general. Just as DVD extras have become requisite, almost standardized, I think games will be increasingly pressured to widen their feature list with a slurry of shoveled extras like skins, remixed music, and levels pieced together by code monkeys who drew the short straw. Now, I don't expect crappy bonuses to draw significant resources from or have any kind of negative impact on real games. It's the really good extras that I'm bothered by. Having already bought the game, I now have to pay the monthly fee (or worse, an additional fee for the extras) to play the whole game. As a consumer and a completist that bugs me. It also means that now games don't necessarily end when you beat them. Even story driven games like RPGs can have additional scenarios that flesh the game out for years. I hate it when things drag on into infinity.

There's some potential in giving designers the freedom to distribute ideas that might not have been ready for the holiday deadline, but personally it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I buy a game, I like to know I'm not missing part of it.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

That reminds me of an annoucement Square-Enix made some time ago. Apparently, they have the bright idea to leave the bugs and what-not in Final Fantasy XIII and just iron it out later through downloadable patches. I guess the idea is to cut back on the cost of debuggers.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

What happened to the days where games came already with 100% of everything in them from the box? Yeesh. This is whyas of late I've chosen to reamin playing Japanese music games like pop'n music and ignoring the mainstream gaming community completely.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I wish that downloads were unnecessary add-ons instead of patches.

Also, I wish that I had rainbow breath.

Psychobob5

Post by Psychobob5 »

I very much doubt we’ll see mandatory downloads to fix bugs in console gaming, because while it may be a given that anybody entering into PC gaming (or who owns a PC for that matter) will have an internet connection, I’m sure there’s still a large majority of console gamers who are either on dial-up, or have no connection at all.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

the reason being SEGA needs a little more time to incorporate downloadable content
The Adventure games had all their downloads in the game before the keys to play them were available. This sounds like the same thing to me. Now, explain to me why this concept, the same concept cooked up 8 years ago, only ellicits fear of a Gran Turismo HD scenario now?

And of course this could just as easily be an excuse to cover for "we need a bit more development time". I thought it was already common knowledge that the PS3 version was delayed and not as finished/polished as the 360 version yet.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

There weren't GT-HD style fears eight years ago because there weren't microtransactions, and considering the lengths to which SEGA has gone recently to make a cheap buck there's not really any reason to put it past them now.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

8 years ago we didn't have hard drives.

Arcade

Re: SONIC 2006 DELAYED

Post by Arcade »

Radrappy wrote:saints be praised. They state that the only reason for dely is for downloadable content though. That kind of sucks.

"the reason being SEGA needs a little more time to incorporate downloadable content. This should include anything from actual stages to items, though SEGA has not officially commented on what.

So while Sonic fans will need to wait a few extra weeks, the good news is that downloadable content will show up on day one. Aside from the reason mentioned above, there's nothing else keeping Sonic's PS3 debut from realization before 2007. And while SEGA has yet to nail a street date, chances of it coming out early December seem high."

Anyone else have any kind of hope?
Haven’t been happier since a local ex- president was arrested...

But I have no hope, it all died with Sonic heroes…

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

FlashTHD wrote: The Adventure games had all their downloads in the game before the keys to play them were available.
Man, I think I hated that nonsense even more then microtransactions. The "downloads" are already right there on the CD! Why do I have to download anything to play them? That kind of stuff drove me nuts in the DC days, because, like the vast majority of net users in Canada, I already had a flippin' broadband internet connection. :P

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

They should put the game off another year to make sure it's the best it can be...as long as it doesn't turn out to be another DNF I'd be all for it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:Man, I think I hated that nonsense even more then microtransactions. The "downloads" are already right there on the CD! Why do I have to download anything to play them?
Given the nature of the content (level skins, time attacks and whatnot), the fact that the Adventure games were pretty complete on their own without them, and the fact that they were free, i'm not seeing the problem. The microtransaction madness is automatically worse because it does take money out of your wallet.
They should put the game off another year
Now, I know there's a lack of trust with Sonic Team here, but jesus.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It could use three or four months of development time to fix everything, and add alternate routes. 12 months isn't going to save a totally awful game anyways. Look at Duke Nukem Forever.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Now that you bring it up, have we ever even seen any screenshots of Duke Nukem Forever?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Those screenshots are seven years old.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

But they exist. That counts for something, right?

CE

Post by CE »

Wasn't Duke Nukem gonna be finished this year? I remember reading that GTInteractive was gonna pay out a huge amount of money to stop being the laughing stock of the whole game industry.