Phantasy Star Universe - The GHZ Crew

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Squirrelknight wrote:The thing that really annoys me is the whole shortcut "pallete" thing. I really miss PSO's mappable face buttons. Having to open up the pallete, and somehow dodge enemies with the analog stick while moving to a monomate with the d-pad really brings back unpleasant memories of DC PSO :P.
Use your shoulder buttons. Idiot.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Ooh. Guess I should've paid attention to the manual and that beginning part.

That doesn't change the fact that Ethan is still a douche.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I feel the same squirrelknight about PSU vs PSO. PSO still has a larger portion of my heart. But I too havent gone online yet. also what the fuck kind of accent does ethan even HAVE??? I cannot pin it down.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I tried booting up my old copy of PSO for the original X-Box (for it does not work on 360) and I noticed that the controls were sort of clunky compared to the PSU beta.

So, I'll probably pick it up within the next week. It's going to be a lonely, happy, fist-filled extravaganza of .hack proportions.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

DON'T COMPARE PSU TO PSO IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ONLINE YET, YOU IDIOTS!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Double-S- wrote:DON'T COMPARE PSU TO PSO IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ONLINE YET, YOU IDIOTS!
I'M VERY SORRY AND I WILL MAIL YOU A BATCH OF COOKIES TO SHOW MY REMORSE

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

*inserts generic PSU-PSO comparison*

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

How many characters can you have per memory?

remember how in PSO ep1&2 you could have 4 characters per memory card?

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

four per account.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Radrappy wrote:four per account.
Cool, I just wish it had 2players Co-op, perhaps in episode 2.

aso

Post by aso »

If the GHZers have definite interest in PSU, does this mean, that at some point, it will get its own Museum page? PSU certainly does seem to be getting more acclaim than, say, PSO Ep.3 or Billy Hatcher...

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Out of inability for this one fanboy to keep up and also for his lack of desire to monitor the continuing flow of mediocrity, The GHZ will not be covering future Sonic Team titles that are unrelated to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

If Green Gibbon! can't be bothered with the most Sonic titles, what makes you think he'll put up with what is essentially an upgrade of a five year-old MMORPG?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Ah yes, PSU with its diverse races of human, robot, and TWO varieties of catgirl - because one just wasn't enough!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

You can be a tan catgirl or you can be an Asian one!

I myself prefer tan.

aso

Post by aso »

Heh, I get the point. Unfortunately, I suppose that means the old pages won't be updated to the newer, slightly cleaner standard GG uses on his pages now. Ah well.

Also, given I played PSO some time back until it bored me right out of my skull, then I take it I shouldn't bother with this.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Baba O'Reily wrote:You can be a tan catgirl or you can be an Asian one!

I myself prefer tan.
I myself have the yellow fever.

Also: Double Sabers FTW, at least offline.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I've started warming up to double sabers, but I will viciously defend fists until they rip them from my cold bloody hands.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

welp. PSU has garnered a craptastic score of 6.8 from Gamespot. It was nice knowing you people.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Since when did anyone listen to GameSpot?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

About the same level as I listen to your Sega fanboy-ish pride.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

O SNAP

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Yeah, so far a 7 seems fair from my offline experiences. That doesn't mean it isn't fun, though.

I am, however, aggravated by the time it takes for weapons' PP to recharge. What's worse is that a weapon won't recharge if you don't have it equipped. This is nasty if you're using a rifle or twin handguns since each attack consumes PP, forcing you to use a PP recovery item at the end of every battle. Is there a way to get PP to recharge faster?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Have you people played the same game I have? I'm guessing all you people still unsure about PSU are playing singleplayer or online with only random pubbies, or something idiotic like that. I mean, 3 people so far have admitted to not playing online yet. You tools. The game may not have "Online" in the title anymore, but that's still the point.

PSU basically took everything about PSO that was annoying and made it better. Right now, even with probably over half the content locked, we have more areas and variation than in the original PSO. And just about as much as Episodes I & II. The combat system is far smoother. Enemy AI isn't completely "flock to the nearest player". Player stores are awesome.

All I know is I'm having a blast playing with friends (sometimes 3 of us in the same apartment playing together). And that also I can not recall a single GameSpot review with which I agreed because they almost always get extremely bitchy with any little detail they don't absolutely love.

Let's see this review. First off, it's the 360 version review. Where he complains about pretty much everything. Like how the Achievements are too simple. Let's repeat that: HE COMPLAINS ABOUT THE ACHIEVEMENTS, WHICH DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (unless you have some huge ego problem which you try to resolve with your e-penis). He complains it's not really an MMO. He complains the online game is "open ended due to lack of structure" (then doesn't even bother to explain what he means). He complains the missions consist of killing things. He complains that playing with strangers can be annoying (hello and welcome to the internet). He complains about the synthesis system. He complains about the graphics on a port from the PS2.

So, yeah.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I'm not sure if it's because I'm a Sega fanboy or not, but I really have a problem with Gamespot's reviews. Remember, this is the same site that gave mediocre scores to Shenmue and NiGHTS.

Then again, we've discussed the general pointlessness of videogame reviews in general on the GHZ many times, and I don't really feel like starting that argument again.

Anyway, I'm well aware that offline mode isn't anywhere near as good as online (I never said otherwise,) and I'm sure that once I go online (which'll be soon, hopefully, as soon as track down a PS2 network adapter,) it'll become a multi-year long obsession along the lines of PSO.

All I wanted to say was: Story mode is kind of pointless and Sonic Team really shouldn't have hyped it up. I just beat it, and while the story does have some interesting parts, it never really goes anywhere, and the story never really explains a bunch of shit it really should've gone into:Like, what exactly are The Seed? What's their connection to the Endrum Collective? Why did the Confinement System destroy the ancients? What's up with Ethan's voice?

And yeah, I know offline mode is supposed to play second fiddle to the network, but Sonic Team was touting it as a full offline RPG along the lines of the original Phantasy Stars, and it ends up feeling like another afterthought, much like the offline mode in the original PSO, except at least with the original PSO, single player didn't seem so pointless since you could take your offline character online as well.

But please don't take any of these criticisms to mean that I dislike PSU: Everyone I know who has played it online has likened the online play to sex, and I can see how the game's battle and crafting systems would make for an addictive online game. Again, all I'm saying is, ST said that the offline mode would be ten kinds of kick-ass (not their exact words,) and it isn't.

With that said, it may not have an offline experience that lives up to the "Phantasy Star V" title that ST used in the early trailers, but ithe game is still a moderately enjoyable,albeit pointless, way of killing time offline (and much better online, apparently), and it's easily the best Sega game to come out since the Sammy merger.

Though, that's not saying all that much.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Is this game in limited quantities like PSO? I cant find it.