Nothing amazing ever happens here.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
The Bad Buttons

Nothing amazing ever happens here.

Post by The Bad Buttons »

Ka-kin! Anyboy ever see FLCL? I think that thats the greatest anime i've ever seen. I wanted to her some comments and opinions on the over all meaning that any of you recieved from the series. Basically what do you guys feel the whole philosophy of the story was about, Chi?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

More or less everyone here loves it. I love it. Gibbon loves it. I think Silv loves it too although I'm not completely sure. I don't know what Del thinks, but I bet she loves it too. That's basically everyone, right?

I still don't know what the fuck happened in it, though.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Basically what do you guys feel the whole philosophy of the story was about, Chi?
You shouldn't force yourself to grow up because doing so conversely makes you more immature.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Popcorn wrote:I don't know what Del thinks, but I bet she loves it too.
Indeed.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I rewatched it just the other week. It gets better each time.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I caught the last episode again last night. Delightful.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Anime, Anime, Anime, blah. I want CN to show Megas XLR again!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think Silv loves it too although I'm not completely sure.
You have my permission to be completely sure.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I love it also, though I wouldn't call it the greatest anime of all time. Just great enough for me to like it.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

FLCL wouldn't even top my personal top 10 anime list. It's too damn weird for me, and I've seen it at all at least two or three times. I blame Haruko.

I have similar feelings to this year's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

The awesome thing about FLCL is that, if you watch it enough, you begin to understand what the fuck is happening. Mostly. Once you understand that Naota's forehead is basically a warp hole for aliens and that Haruko came to Earth to find Atmosk, it sort of begins to make sense. You also have to pay close attention to the dialogue and make the connections between different scenes and episodes (though episode 3 seems like filler that doesn't fit well with the rest of the series.) It helps a little bit to read the manga too, though the manga is probably twice as confusing as the show is and not half as entertaining.

What makes FLCL so endearing is how much they were able to stuff into just six episodes. Yes, this makes it confusing as all hell, but the process of dissecting it is a very rewarding feeling. It's also one of the two satirical anime out there that I know of, the other being Excel Saga.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Excuse me for living under a rock, but what's FCLC? Bearing in mind I don't have Sky or cable, I'm pretty behind on these things.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Don't worry too much, I don't know what it is either. But then, I don't care at all about anime.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

=O

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I don't understand why they didn't release it as a movie, though. Six episodes is just enough to make one long movie . . .

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Each episode had its own individual theme while contributing to the overarching theme. That wouldn't have been possible without an episodic format, and it would have been a completely different experience besides that. It's just not what they were going for.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I am an immature fool and take more enjoyment out of Berserk.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

FLCL is the pinnacle of anime. All the anime produced during the 70's, 80's, and 90's was so that FLCL could eventually be made. And it was, and anime is now officially over. ("Anime" in the 2000's actually refers to generic cartoons produced in Korea and labelled as Japanese to sell in America. It's an altogether different medium and one that I care none for.)

There's so much psychological subtext in FLCL it's astounding that they were able to cram it all into 6 episodes. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most important pieces of literature of our generation. Freud would have a field day.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

How do you feel about Paranoia Agent, what with the giant adorable huggable puppy of death and destruction?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Actually yeah, PA isn't nearly as crazed in its story as FLCL, but in terms of anime that feels like literature, it's definitly up there and probably very GG!able.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I still haven't seen that. It's from the Perfect Blue guy, right?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Paranoia Agent was a wonderful critique on how the minds of most Japanese people deal with crisis or embaressment, and an overall satire of Japanese culture. Not as sastisfying an ending as FLCL, though. The last episode was really rushed, and unfortunately we don't really find out what happens to any of the characters, except for two.

And the Puppy wasn't death and destruction, it was Pretending Your Problems Don't Exist.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I still haven't seen that. It's from the Perfect Blue guy, right?
Yeah, Satoshi Kon, I think is his name. (edit: I know it's his name)

The Bad Buttons

Post by The Bad Buttons »

I've seen a few of his anime's and I wasn't disappointed once with
any of them

What iv'e seen:

Director-Perfect Blue
Director-Millennium Actress (Didn't think id like this one it probably is my favorite)
Director-Paranoia Agent
Director-Tokyo Godfathers(no this one is):lol:

Even though he's not the writer of any of those.The guys work has soul(Cant say the same for alot of Anime). I agree with the whole "animated literature" thing G.silver said about P.A. too.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I have only watched FLCL only once and I was never anle to get into it. Right now, I will say I do not care for FLCL. Supposedly you have to watch it more than two times for the messages of FLCL to sink into your brain, but I don't have the incentive to do that.

Right now, the only anime I consistently watch is One Piece. I've watched anime for a while, but for me, the stuff that sticks out for me in an anime/manga is a cast of lovable characters. That's why I don't really care for series like Monster, even if they are well written, because I don't give a fuck about what happens to the characters, y' know what I mean? If I can laugh and cry for the main cast when I'm supposed to laugh or cry for them, then I think it will be a series I will keep on watching and love (as long as it doesn't lose it's steam).

There are some exceptions for movies that I love but don't really care that much for the cast, like Spirited Away, but FLCL rubbed me the wrong way ever since Haruko seemed to randomly run over Naota with her motorcycle; I was told the anime was a comedy, which was the genre I was in the mood for at the time, so when I was watching it I was all like, "Huh? Am I supposed to laugh at this South Park reference or this comic book styled scene?"

Perhaps I'll watch FLCL again to see if I can pick up all the subcontext I missed.